Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel cap latching mechanism trouble

Representative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
One of the most common issues I see on VX commodores is the lack of fuel caps getting around. Not only is this bad design for the fuel cap itself breaking into pieces but the latch itself not retracting back to its original place. This is my issue and I've removed my cap just so I don't have to look at an always open fuel lid.

I've gone into the back of the vehicle, taken out the fastening screw and taken out the catcher. Now, how do I work on this and pull it apart further? Looks like 2 clips holding this together but I think I am wrong as it looks like a solid unit. Please help

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
usually if the fuel door is not latching the new door is not aligned correctly, got any pics of what you've done?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have noticed the lever on the floor has a tendency to stay up, sometimes even gets caught on the mat, so every time I pull the fuel flap lever I then push it back down again but I agree they are poor design and you cannot afford to be rough with them.

Representative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
got any pics of what you've done?
I just had to figure out what size was accepted. I want to get to the inside of this to help free it up. Latch will pay the game after rocking up and down on fuel leaver in car but will let go on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_104853_1~2.jpg
    IMG_20201116_104853_1~2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 162

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
so what the cable isn't doing it's thing properly?

Representative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
so what the cable isn't doing it's thing properly?
Yes and no. I cannot say for sure. I feel like if I was able to put that apart I would be able to same of any grime or obstruction but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it apart to begin with. Thanks for your replies

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not going to come apart without breaking it. Best to flush it with brake cleaner. Right down the cable. Remove the whole thing. Then get a silicone based lube down it and into the latch.

As for the fuel door, if it breaks, you can get a cheap repair kit that makes it stronger than new. Ingenious repair device. They are on eBay and you’ll find a video on YouTube too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
from your description it's sticking and you can work it from the lever?

maybe spray it with something like INOX (not wd40) and work the lever until it's nice and free.

Representative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
It’s not going to come apart without breaking it. Best to flush it with brake cleaner. Right down the cable. Remove the whole thing. Then get a silicone based lube down it and into the latch.

As for the fuel door, if it breaks, you can get a cheap repair kit that makes it stronger than new. Ingenious repair device. They are on eBay and you’ll find a video on YouTube too.
Going to do this this afternoon, document it and then post a full clean up procedure. I think a lot of people will benifits from it lol

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My most preferred lubricant is from Retic Shops. It's a thicker sticky spray lubricant. Dirt doesn't stick or accumulate. Local Hyundai dealer uses it. "Pop Up sprinkler Lube". ~$15. Amazing stuff.

Got me thinking, this flaw might be why they were not used on utes?
I was going to put one on my Crewman, which is compatible with the Wagon style fuel door mounts. I have everything except the template from a wagon to cut the hold correctly for the latch.