Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption 2014 Vf commodore evoke

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Do you recomend to go into the spot mode where u can manually change gears around town and just drive in a higher gear.

Sport mode — as in tip the shifter left and manually work the gears? If you rev it hard and shorten the shift duration, that will also increase fuel economy. The key is in the driving and frequency of gear changes; obviously you'll get higher/worse fuel economy around town, whether in Sport shift or straight auto (the auto is adaptive, but that only applies in straight auto, not sport shift mode). Lots of people launch in 2nd gear in Sports shift then quickly work through to final (I don't, because it is not my type of driving). But fuel economy isn't high on their list of priorities — horses for courses, if you want improved economy, or see how much of an improvement you can get, go for a long drive. :)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
normally when you buy a commodore and the seller bangs on about it being ex police modified he is full of sh!t.

Modified ex-Services cars are really nothing special at all. What makes them special, in a very irksome way, is the number and depth of modifications that were made essential to their place e.g. Police. SES etc. Top of the list are holes that have been drilled (count them!!), evidence of additional equipment installed (more holes, or high-strength adhesive, patched panels), some standard features are removed or changed in their behaviour... there really is a list limited only by your imagination. I would never buy another ex-Services car simply because I saw how much those cars are modified (VZ Commodore Executive wagon/2006) and how they develop quirks as a result of sequelae from modifications that were not or could not be, reversed.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There used to be such a thing as "modified" police cars, many many years ago. During the same period of time when they were putting SS trim onto Exec interiors/seats for NSW highway patrol cars (VR-VS era) we saw quite a few HSV-branded parts in engine-bays of cars at Pickles too, I can't recall if the "HSV Enhanced" options were available at the time but it was a bit like that under the bonnet.

Regarding putting the 'box into "manual" mode, I think that might allow you to eke maybe half a litre per hundred km's out of the fuel-usage numbers if you make the changes in more economical places than the brainbox would, but I don't think it's going to get you from 17L/100km down to the 10L/100km everyone else was talking about. I reckon either find how to check error codes (I think that might still be possible without an interface?) or take it to someone who will, it's probably got something like a dodgy O2 sensor or a an injector working sub-optimally or something like that.

Last edited:

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
In my Evoke on 91 - 13-15l/100km for town. 11-12l/100km combined If I do a trip to another local town in the area. 6-8l/100km on long haul interstate trips.

With an ex cop cars in regards to VF’s. Yes the holes were annoying trying to get replacements for everything that wasn’t covered by other bits of trim. But there hasn’t been too much pop up thats different from a normal VF. 2nd battery system (removed), a full size spare and a dead on accurate speedo. Same for another one thats in the family. Certainly nothing mechanically different like previous versions on commodores.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Back in the late 80’s, I got pulled over by police in an unmarked car, on a lonely highway, out in the sticks :eek: On this lovely sunny day, while he was writing out my ticket, it was impossible not to notice the strong lope of the V8 at idle. The idle lope was strong enough that the front of the car wobbled with the engine lope :eek:

In all other respects it looked like a bog standard commodore but obviously it wasn’t as it must have had a cam installed and fuel consumption wasn’t a high priority. But most says that cop cars weren’t fitted with different cams back then :rolleyes:

Ill just leave this YouTube video here for no real reason :cool:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Maybe the cops had installed Brock Polarisers to get an edge over the baddies?
They have exactly the same effect as a big cam & ported heads.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
LOL! I wish.
More around 1,200km or so. North of Alice there won't be much PULP98 on tap; stepping down to 91 or OPAL. I expect around 7 to 9L+/100km with that until Darwin.
Curious if you have ever had to use OPAL? My old boss and workshop mech once got everyone together and warned that anyone caught using it will be fired immediately!

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Curious if you have ever had to use OPAL? My old boss and workshop mech once got everyone together and warned that anyone caught using it will be fired immediately!

Just quickly —
Yes, used it many times around and beyond (North) of Alice (VZ Commodore and present VF) where it is most common, until closer to Darwin, when OPAL isn't very conspicuous at all. It's safe for any and all cars that run on 91, 95 or 98. There is a bit of a lag at the first fill of OPAL, then it smooths out. It should not cost anymore than 91, but price gouging is common.

Sniffing it though — OPAL or not, is one way to get fired from your job!

Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Back in the late 80’s, I got pulled over by police in an unmarked car, on a lonely highway, out in the sticks :eek: On this lovely sunny day, while he was writing out my ticket, it was impossible not to notice the strong lope of the V8 at idle. The idle lope was strong enough that the front of the car wobbled with the engine lope :eek:

In all other respects it looked like a bog standard commodore but obviously it wasn’t as it must have had a cam installed and fuel consumption wasn’t a high priority. But most says that cop cars weren’t fitted with different cams back then :rolleyes:

Ill just leave this YouTube video here for no real reason :cool:

When I had my first job, back in the 70s, it was right near the Holden service department. The cops had GTR Toranas, but they had the full X-U1 spec engines in them. Very big cams, they sounded great!

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Auto transmittion.
Im based in wellington, NZ so not too much idling at traffic lights/ traffic in general, but definitely stop and go type stuff.
Ive been monitoring the economy screens in the car readouts.
It did sound a bit high. Was wondering if it is worth getting checked out.
The car used to be a police vehicle and the engine is in good condition, the guy I bought it from i think mentioned that it has a fuel injection system which was a modification by the NZ police, not sure if that is a problem.

Yes, the figures on the DIC will look high under your driving conditions. The engine computer is making those calculations based on a variety of parameters. IMHO, you should try getting a real world measure using the tank-full to tank-full method. Head to your regular petrol station, note down your ODO reading (or reset the trip meter), fill up with a petrol grade you prefer, note the petrol dispenser number. go about your regular driving pattern for about 100-200kms, head back to the same petrol station and fill up from the same dispenser. Now the quantity of fuel consumed and the distance travelled are both known. The fuel consumption you get should be the realistic one