Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption Commodore Executive VZ Auto

silverstory

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive VZ
Hey all, I need some advice hope you could help. I was thinking of buying 2006 Commodore Executive 3.6 VZ auto. It's going to be my first holden. Some of my friends including my dad doesn't want me to buy the car due to the fact that it cost more to run compared to a 1.8-2.0L engine.

My second option is Subaru Liberty 2.0L sedan. Could someone here give me some sample computations on how much the difference would be in terms of Petrol cost between two cars driving both city and highway.

I was thinking by comparing the two maybe the difference is not that huge that its bugger all. and go ahead with Holden.

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your help.

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
It all depends on the condition of the car, buggered 2.0L will probably give out the same economy as a good condition 3.6L.

You'd be looking at anywhere between 400-600km out of a 3.6 Holden.

Tank size plays a part too, I'm assuming the Liberty would have a smaller tank. So you will pay less to fill up but will be filling up more often...

At the end of the day if you're looking at keeping it for a longer time I would go with the Holden.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Holden V6 you'll get around 11.2L /100K.
Sooby will get 8.9l/100K.

If you do 10,000 Klm per year the Commodore would use 230 litres more than the Subaru.
If petrol price is $1.40 a litre you're looking at $322 extra.

Critical Jim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VL SL
The cost of fuel isnt the only cost of running a car.

You have to take all the other costs into consideration.

Servicing and repairs, cost of repair parts if needed,tyres, insurance.

My old VZ Acclaim used to return about 10-11L per 100klm that was semi country driving.

I dont know much about the Liberty but they are AWD which would increase fuel use and maybe increase the cost of tyres.

A Liberty might be cheaper to insure and register than the commodore.

A Liberty would hold its value better than a commodore, and they seem well built.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The Subaru will get consistently around those figures (even when driven a bit hard) .
The Holden's figures will climb a bit with enthusiastic driving.:driving:

Service costs are less with the Holden and parts cost less. (remember the timing belt needs changing in the Subaru when it nears 100000k and can cost around a grand to have done)

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
VZ Commodore will pull down in the 7L's per 100km on freeways and probably 12.5L per 100km just in town.

You're looking at 10.5ish in semi rural driving. Your location says Taswegia, so are you in a big town or doing rural driving?

For me, boiled down to a few things in why I bought a Commodore. In the end, I am 6'5'' - so Commodore.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
My SV6 VZ uses 15L/100KM!!!!! I drive bloody normal and in eastern suburbs Melbourne. What the ####!!!

That is a little high for urban driving, but not unheard of.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
The 2.0L Libertys have a large dead spot in the mid-rev range, doesn't sound like a fun car to drive.

IMO, go with the commodore for reliability. So many wrecks etc that you can seagull at for parts.