Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption Figures

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I'm reading 103 k.p.h. at 100 k.ph. GPS so 3% out.
Average fuel consumption 90% city (and I live in a VERY hilly area and LOTS of short trips to the local shops cafe's etc) 10% highway, average speed 41 k.p.h = 10.2L / 100 km's and that's the average over the last 5,000 km's. 91 Octane averages $1.90 around where I live. (Yeah we get ripped off something chronic for fuel in N.Z.

Previous car, Chrysler SRT8 used on average 14L/100 km's for the same sort of running but was burning 98 Octane at ~ $2.40 a liter so that hurt a bit at the fuel pump..

In terms of nimbleness and handling there is no comparison, hands down winner to my Calais V but the Chrysler was a beast for outright grunt and I sometimes miss that, but hardly ever to be quite honest about it.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
The way the design rule works is a speedo can read up to 10% below the actual speed. When they're setup at the plant, they have to allow for tyre wear, etc, so cars will typically sit 3 - 4 km below the speed limit at 100 km/h.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
The way the design rule works is a speedo can read up to 10% below the actual speed. When they're setup at the plant, they have to allow for tyre wear, etc, so cars will typically sit 3 - 4 km below the speed limit at 100 km/h.
Yes I have heard that before and big fines for companies if speedo reads less than actual speed but come on 6% is a lot to be out I have half worn original wheels so might have been worse when new I think they have used the design rules to improve fuel consumption figures

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes, according to ADR-18, speedos must not indicate less that the true speed. Over-indication accuracy is limited to a maximum 10 per cent plus 4 kph. This means that at a true speed of 100 kph, the speedo can't be displaying 99 kph or slower, but it could be displaying up to 114 kph...

Just goes to show that when some people are caught speeding at a true 110kph, their speedo could be showing upto 126 kph... and yet they bitch that the radar is the inaccurate device :eek:

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Yes, according to ADR-18, speedos must not indicate less that the true speed. Over-indication accuracy is limited to a maximum 10 per cent plus 4 kph. This means that at a true speed of 100 kph, the speedo can't be displaying 99 kph or slower, but it could be displaying up to 114 kph...

Just goes to show that when some people are caught speeding at a true 110kph, their speedo could be showing upto 126 kph... and yet they bitch that the radar is the inaccurate device :eek:
It actually doesn't worry me i set cruise control to 106 knowing it is doing 100 kph but due to alcohol my wife drives sometimes and she will not go over the speed limit and the speedo must be right no matter what I say . The price you have to pay to play can be high at times .

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

most also dont factor in that a speedo reading spot on at 100kph will more then likely be reading under at the slowest speeds 30-40kph making them not pass ADR, i still think its funny when people come into us and get a radar check to fight a fine in court because they were speeding and there speedo was then found to be reading 10% faster then actual and they still want to fight it cos they had to try to compensate for it by going even faster according to the speed reading, dear judge i had to sit on 120kph by my speedo to do 110kph down the road and i got a fine....

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
My ZB Calais V, and BK Astra are both out by 2 - 3 km/h - around 3%... This is according to Waze GPS Speedo on Android Auto....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It actually doesn't worry me i set cruise control to 106 knowing it is doing 100 kph but due to alcohol my wife drives sometimes and she will not go over the speed limit and the speedo must be right no matter what I say . The price you have to pay to play can be high at times .
Yep, I also set cruise according to GPS but it's driving closer to the limit and removes the speed safety factor built into the speedo. I'm OK with that :p

For me the problem is those who drive using that old "drop 5 to stay alive" mindset so they drive at 95kph which is a true 90kph in a 100 kph zone :mad:
Don't think such "safe" drivers are too concerned with the accuracy of their speedo or fuel consumption for that matter :p Safety is all that matters :rolleyes:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
most also dont factor in that a speedo reading spot on at 100kph will more then likely be reading under at the slowest speeds 30-40kph making them not pass ADR, i still think its funny when people come into us and get a radar check to fight a fine in court because they were speeding and there speedo was then found to be reading 10% faster then actual and they still want to fight it cos they had to try to compensate for it by going even faster according to the speed reading, dear judge i had to sit on 120kph by my speedo to do 110kph down the road and i got a fine....
Such can never occur as the speedo must never read lower than the true road speed, at any speed... Manufacturers make sure such rules are followed (no diesel-gate type issues here)...

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
N.Z, police starting to get a bit anal over here and there's much talk the old 4 and at times 10 k.p.h. allowance over limit has now gone and they can and are now starting to issue tickets for as little as 1 k.p.h. over the speed limit which is a pretty sad state of affairs.:mad:
On decent roads If I set my adaptive cruise for 103 k.p.h. knowing I am doing a true 100 that's good but sometimes in hilly terrain the speed can wander 2-3 k.p.h. either side of the desired cruise speed setting so some care is needed.

Last edited: