Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel consumption/kms per tank - ve v8

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
what manufacturers tell you about economy, and what you yield in real life is 2 differant results. holden (in this case) is telling you the BEST consumption figures they have recieved, driving around a circuit with a light foot. Fuel quality, service maintainance, etc play a big role in fuel usage...

A v8 will always get better results if its driven carefully on the highway, and challenge a v6 around town (both cars driving at same acceleration rate and speed) my mums vy v6 s1 ecotec gets 10.8-11.5 around town, i get 14.5-15.5 when driving like a 21 year old in a 304 v8 :) if i drove sensibly around town (or if my mum drive my car) it would almost be on par (gets down to 13.x)

Last edited:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
I can't believe what I am reading!!! A V8 is not more economical than a V6!. My VN SS only got me from Melb to Yass on a tank (80 litre). I am sure a VN V6 would have got me to Sydney on a 80 litre tank. My VX 3.8 got me to Sydney on a tank from Melb.

Ive driven both v6's and v8's from brisbane to sydney, the v8 can do it on one 80 litre tank, the v6 can do it with just under 2 tanks. both vn-vp both auto

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
So you are saying that holden cant even tune their cars properly when they leave the factory? needs some backyard mechanic to do some tweaks?
Not really backed up by these:
www.marque.com.au

Fuel Consumption Guide Database 1986-2003 Search Results
yes, ive used 2003 because as you point out they use a 50/50 average of the two cycles for the current models.
Have a think about how low the highway fuel consumption or how high the city cycle would need to be on the current v8 to get an average of 14.3L/100km.

Really, all we have here is the standard v8 petrol head in denial and old wives tales coming through:
ie v8s use less fuel on the highway because they are just loping along
v8s are cheaper to own because the motors last longer because they are less stressed etc.

Neither are true, but if said often enough by the owners they eventually believe their own rhetoric.

Holden can tune their cars just as good as anyone else in aus, but you need to take into consideration that these tunes are made for the lowest grade of fuel available in australia, most of the people that have custom tunes (which kick holdens tunes) MUST use a high quality 98 ron fuel. If holden uses the same tune and i buy one, go around the corner and fill up with 91 ron fuel, the motor pings for a few weeks, then bang, gone like a fart in the wind, they would be up for ALOT of repairs.

I didnt quite inderstand what you said at the end, but even if it was around town, 14.3 is achievable in a v8.

Theres lots of people out there that would debate what i have just said.. 'how can a v8 return more mileage than a v6'?? simple, theres 2 extra cylinders on a v8, theres more twisting momentum turning the motor, this keeps the overall revs of the v8 lower than a v6, a v6 must rev higher in every gear (using the same ratios) versus a v8. If your good at visualising things in your head, you will know what i mean, if not go away and learn a bit more about the operation of an engine before coming back.

Its quite easy to see why a v8 is better than a v6 on fuel, the only reason a v8 will use more fuel, is becasue more power is being produced.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
you guys all must have Fu@@ed v6's my ve sv6 manual gets around 7.3-7.5 on the high way and about 9.3-9.8 in sydney.

i drive from Campbelltown to Bowral along the Hume ever day(mon-Fri) for work never seen above 7.5 and i go into the city cruise george st etc most fridays and saturdays. i get about 9.3ish might hit 10 if i red line it in frist and second off most sets of lights.

my car has extractors and a hi flow panel filter in the air box. getting it tuned this week end Dale at CHE tells me to expect 6.8-6.9 down the free way after then tune!!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
So you are saying that holden cant even tune their cars properly when they leave the factory? needs some backyard mechanic to do some tweaks?
Not really backed up by these:
www.marque.com.au

Fuel Consumption Guide Database 1986-2003 Search Results
yes, ive used 2003 because as you point out they use a 50/50 average of the two cycles for the current models.
Have a think about how low the highway fuel consumption or how high the city cycle would need to be on the current v8 to get an average of 14.3L/100km.

Really, all we have here is the standard v8 petrol head in denial and old wives tales coming through:
ie v8s use less fuel on the highway because they are just loping along
v8s are cheaper to own because the motors last longer because they are less stressed etc.

Neither are true, but if said often enough by the owners they eventually believe their own rhetoric.

Another non-quality post from commsirac! You really need to stop coming up with total crap. Who said anything about backyard mrechanics? I go to the best tuners available in Canberra. Holden's tunes are good, but are designed to be completely safe for the cheapest fuel available. They are ALWAYS on the rich side. Add high quality fuel and lean out the tune and not only do you get better performance but better fuel efficientcy.

Standard petrol head in denial? What the **** drugs do you take mate? I have owned plenty of V6s, and currently own 2 V8s. Yes, I'm a car enthusiast but my head is NOT and never has been made of petrol.

From my own personal experience, a V8 can be as fuel efficient as a V6.

Now commsirac, how many times do you have to be told? Get the hell off these forums!!! Everyone is comeplete sick of your bull****!!! You think no matter what dribble you come up with it's always true. Why do you even bother being a member of a forum for car enthusiasts if all you're doing is continually trolling with un-substantiated bull****?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
what manufacturers tell you about economy, and what you yield in real life is 2 differant results. holden (in this case) is telling you the BEST consumption figures they have recieved, driving around a circuit with a light foot. Fuel quality, service maintainance, etc play a big role in fuel usage...

A v8 will always get better results if its driven carefully on the highway, and challenge a v6 around town)
Another delusional v8 driver?

It is not the best consumption they can achieve driving around with a light foot, please do some research! The test is done to the Australian fuel standards which mirror other like standards elsewhere in the world, and the test is done the same way on all cars in this country.
You simply can not dismiss independently collected and verified data, if you feel there are faults in the testing scheme that would somehow reverse the figures obtained by v8s lets hear them!
While the figures for some may not reflect what the actual values they get, the rank order of the results is always highly indicative of whether vehicle A will be more economical to run than vehicle B. In my experience I have found the highway cycle figures are typically spot on for my use......city figures vary.......if you can manage to drive around suburbia at 60km/h and not hit traffic lights etc, then near highway consumption values are possible.

The logic , 'how can a v8 return more mileage than a v6'?? simple, theres 2 extra cylinders on a v8, theres more twisting momentum turning the motor, this keeps the overall revs of the v8 lower than a v6, a v6 must rev higher in every gear (using the same ratios) versus a v8, may appeal to simpletons, however, it is flawed. The revs on the v8 may be lower but there are just as many piston strokes.......think about it! Basically the laws of engines the world over, tells us the more reciprocating mass(engine capacity), the more energy needed to even just keep the thing idling. If there was any truth to the idea we'd be all driving 8L v10s......etc.
Conventional four stroke internal combustion engines typically are most efficient when operating at ~60% of max output. For a family car only ~13-15kW is necessary to maintain 100km/h.....the best consumption would be with an engine with a max output of 25kW. v6s are a long way from this ideal and v8s even further away!

Last edited:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Id be careful what you say without being totally confident in your knowledge, you dont need to explain anything to me, im a mechanic. I know how an engine operates and develops power.

Are you telling me a 4 cylinder is going to get better economy than your v6 on the highway? Just have a think about it before commenting.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx

Now commsirac, how many times do you have to be told? Get the hell off these forums!!! Everyone is comeplete sick of your bull****!!! You think no matter what dribble you come up with it's always true. Why do you even bother being a member of a forum for car enthusiasts if all you're doing is continually trolling with un-substantiated bull****?

Yes, I realise you are sick of being pulled up for posting nonsense. Make a complaint to the moderator if you dont like it. Being a car enthusiast doesnt mean one has to live in denial of established testing processes, laws of motion etc.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Id be careful what you say without being totally confident in your knowledge, you dont need to explain anything to me, im a mechanic. I know how an engine operates and develops power.

Most do, spark plug sets off mixture forces piston down......not mind boggling is it. You'd be more impressive if you told me something about the different stages of the Carnot cycle.
What I am telling you is that a purpose built engine designed for ~25kW max output with all the right gearing would deliver better fuel economy than the ecotec v6 at 100km/h on level ground in the current Commodore body, probably wouldnt even have 4 cylinders. of course no one would want to own one as it would be a slug!

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Your going around in circles, were not talking about changing gearing were comparing stock cars, the v6 and v8 share the same ratio, the v8 runs at about 500rpm lower resulting in better economy.

But you have your mind set, believe whatever you want its not my loss, just remember who's done years of hands on and tafe on the subject.