Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption with E85

J

Jingle Bells

one and only2004,
You are typical of the crap you read here and unable to have an intelligent post.....Go and put some sugar in your tank you ding bat and you have E85.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Look around you...lower MPG...sorry Km's/100...the injectors will gum up...from my experience always go with the high octane petrol...I never ran my '78 Hz Monaro on standard fuel...always used super...do not let these hair brain schemes posted here influence you....always do the right thing from the start...even if holden say you can use E85...its only a cover up by them to save the enviroment...in the long run it still costs the same...as you have to fill up more often...I will bet london to a brick on that the sugar farmers do not use E85 to harvest their crop....for me to put E85 in my car it would have to be a fuel shortage...anyway the the holden motor running on E85 is still in its infancy....will the Bathurst 1000 be using E85....WAKE UP!
Lol as Pirate said the V8supercars do run E85 and have done for many years, also E85 has a higher octane rating than Premium unleaded hence why many people with modern performance cars run it. Yes with E85 you will get less k's from a tank as E85 has a higher burn rate, but it will certainly not ruin your engine as you claim. Do you also believe that the world is flat?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
one and only2004,
You are typical of the crap you read here and unable to have an intelligent post.....Go and put some sugar in your tank you ding bat and you have E85.

Its hard to have an intelligent conversation with a closed minded fool like yourself - with the attitude you display I'm surprised you didn't convert the old trusty VY to a carby setup - after all anything new is the devil!

My turbo VZ SS runs E85 thanks, I manage 400km to a 50l tank easily and haven't blown up. 600hp thanks to the farmers of Australia.

Its dicks like you who kept us in the dark ages.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
So when I filled up the other night the E85 was pretty expensive, $1.39/L. Premium was $1.78/L. My Evo X used to do 16.8L/100km and the VF is getting 23.9L/100 on E85. So it's about $3/100km more than the Evo. The claimed fuel usage in the Evo was 8.9L/100km. I think I only saw that whenever I was driving out to Kurnell doing 80km/hr. On the highway it was more like 11L/100km and around the city it was shocking.
I think the VF's pretty good considering the size of the engine and the weight of the car. If I keep using E85 it's going to cost me between $3 and $6 a week extra and I will have better performance when I need it.

J

Jingle Bells

Lol as Pirate said the V8supercars do run E85 and have done for many years, also E85 has a higher octane rating than Premium unleaded hence why many people with modern performance cars run it. Yes with E85 you will get less k's from a tank as E85 has a higher burn rate, but it will certainly not ruin your engine as you claim. Do you also believe that the world is flat?

Vasco da Gama thought the world was flat...until he circumnavigated the world...looks like I am dealing with uneducated people here...I rest my case!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
United at Rozelle / Speedway is the best / cheapest. Get the United iphone app as it tells you current prices where to get it and gives tel numbers to check.
BTW did you ever run your EVO on ethanol?
Remember right now e85 is 50%-60% ethanol blend, so even if you were to fill it twice to flush the residual petrol out it is still only about half as good as it should be.
Partial ethanol 'flex fuel' will trip the ECU into action for safety, but the stock tables are wacky in performance terms, running way rich without the actual benefit of ethanol's 1/3 higher oxygen for example. Won't do it harm, good for it actually, but no benefit to your wallet or performance.
It is the oxygen in e85 that creates a more complete burn, improving overall performance, and I found the stock tables to be closer to the mark with the summer blend, 80% or greater.
Otherwise you need a dyno tune for ethanol (e85 & P100).

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I went to the United at Rozelle. Last Friday it was 20c a litre cheaper.

I didn't run the Evo on E85 but was looking at doing it if I was going to keep it.

My father is a chemist and he sees the benefits in running Ethanol blended fuel. He says the only problem is that if you get some moisture into the fuel system it splits the Ethanol and petrol, which can damage your engine.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hi Black X,
How did you go with the large black grill removal...can it be removed??????
Do not run your VF on E85....I have a VY "S" with 157,000 K's....and the motor is still intact and has never been touched...I have always used 95 Octane for 10 years of original ownership...the injectors have never been cleaned....still waiting on my VF SV6.
Cheers,
J.B.

Oh...so you still own a VY yet you list your ride as a VF. Interesting. I own a spaceship, just hasnt been delivered.

Your VY bucket isnt designed to be run on E85 and your fuel tank and lines are not made of the appropriate material.

Not having cleaned your injectors doesnt mean they're in great condition.

Jingle Bells you went full retard.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I have thought about getting a tank of E85 (or E?? - flex) to give it a try in my MY12.5 SV6. At this point, the engine runs just fine on ULP, with the occasional E10 tank.

Since ethanol has a 30% lower calorific value than ULP, each 10% equates to around 3% higher fuel burn. Obviously the higher octane rating of ethanol may vary that a little in certain specific driving conditions, but not much in normal driving I would expect.

From the research that I have read, ULP typically uses 3% less fuel than E10, while PULP uses about 4.2% less than E10.

The nearest E-Flex fuel to me is about 20 km in the direction that I hardly ever go, so it will not become my normal fuel in the foreseeable future, so I haven't chased it to evaluate it myself.