Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption with E85

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I get 550kms on E85 and 650kms on E10. Have never tried 95 and 98 only once and always use Caltex as I have a starcard unfortunately. My Calais V V6 Sportswagon has done 15000kms and all is OK. One member mentioned using engineering mode to tell what ethanol reading you are using. How do you get into this mode ??

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
No cold start issues for me. I've been running it nearly 12 months now and it goes alright. It's not the best when towing the boat, so I run it to empty when I plan on taking the boat out and fill up with 98.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Anyone had cold start issues with e85 ???

I've run it for three snow seasons and about as bad as it gets is something like appears in the first 15 seconds of this video:

[video=youtube_share;1blRAkgAFWg]http://youtu.be/1blRAkgAFWg[/video]

Fine really.

I get 550kms on E85 and 650kms on E10. Have never tried 95 and 98 only once and always use Caltex as I have a starcard unfortunately. My Calais V V6 Sportswagon has done 15000kms and all is OK. One member mentioned using engineering mode to tell what ethanol reading you are using. How do you get into this mode ??

Nah mate that was me, dunno what I was thinking :hmmm:

You need an OBD dongle to scan GM extended PIDs, the specific one is SAE.ALCH_PCT (as %). You can buy a good dongle from Target for $100 and run TrackAddict in trial mode will monitor selected extended PIDs like this.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Mine fires straight with the auto start like on 98 but idles like its hunting for about 10seconds...
full tank of fuel on united e85 gets around 340-375. 98 gets 450-500.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Anyone had cold start issues with e85 ???

Yep.... When I have put in 3 tanks of e85 in a row I have trouble starting, it starts like it's got a flat battery actually thought it was the battery filed it up with PULP and back to starting fine, I have replicated the problem a few times.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
any cold start issues on e85 can be fixed with a tweek of the tune...

Phown

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot Wheels
Just thought I would add my 2c...

Filled up with e85 at United in Tamworth the other day and was amazed out how it transforms the car. I usually fill up with Caltex e10 and when I used the e85 there was a noticeable difference in performance. If I had a united nearby I would be filling up there all the time, it put a BIG smile on my face :D

According to the trip computer on the way to Tamworth I used 10.2L/100 and on the way back with the e85 I used 11.4L/100. I was doing more overtaking on the way back so not really an apples to apples comparison.