Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
calaiscruise said:
Whilst I knew it would be a bit thirsty, it never gets economy like the AS (Australain Standards) specs you see listed in motor magazines, or on Redbook eg. Hwy 8.5L/100km, City 13.5L/100km. ( I would love to find out the exact testing procedure used :confused: ).

Ain't that the truth! :( . Best I managed was 9.4L/100 highway and best city was around 15-16L, worst was 23L/100 :bang: . Hmm maybe the 250kW@wheels might reflect on consumption too. :D

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
I guess I will just have live with the limits of a large V8's fuel consumption, though a K&N (or similar) filter and some type of cold air ducting will be on my shopping list. I pulled the radiator "cowling" (?) and air box lid off today to see how some ducting will fit in.....and was schocked to see just how little effort GMH put into getting clean cold air in...none! It sucks hot stale air from behind the headlight and obviously superheated....GMH get's an F for Fail from me.

How easy it would have been to design natural port to cold air....extra torque, power, economy.....and people wouldn't have to be spending hundreds of $$$ to buy plastic ducting assemblies, that probably cost $5 to make. :bang: Oh well, might have to get my noodle working, to invent my own custom ducting.

Long term I plan to get my V8 on lpg. I've used it on a previous car (4.2 v8 kingswood) and I swear by it. Though I have investigated and found GenIII dont like being gassed, and was told to wait until Sequentail Vapour injection systems are released for it....probably like that GTI Stealth LPG injection system that was shown on ABC Inventors TV show recently. I cant wait. :D

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Pod vs Panel

I, like many others it seems, am torn between a CAI with K&N filter in standard airbox, or pod filter. I do want to keep everything legal, however, and everyone seems to have their own idea on the legality of pod filters in NSW.

Plus, a CAI kit is like $60 off ebay :) , and that hooks up to the standard airbox...

I'd love to hear eveyones opinion on this (not that it hasn't been done before!)

R

RKZ234

Secki said:
i get around 650-690 km to a tank in my VT SS 5.0 litre is this normal? i think its not too bad i do about 60/40 highway/city driving.

I'm assuming you fill up just after the fuel warning comes on, meaning you'd be putting about 65-69 lt in to fill, equating to approx 10lt/100 km. That's good.

No doubt on a trip on the Newell Hwy at 100km/h you'd get close to 750-780km per tank which is very good also from the old 5lt V8.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Manual Executive VY S2

Hi,

I only have about 3,500 Km so far. Use the car almost totally as a work vehicle.

Worst was for multiple 3 to 4 Km trips 2 a day for over a month, which gave 14.4L/100Km. That was when the odometer was less than 1,000 Km. Since the 1,500 Km service, the worst has been 13.1L/100Km, again for multiple short trips.

Best was for trips to Canberra and Woolongong over Christmas/New Year. Travelled 819.2 Km without refuelling, and it took 63 litres. This works out to just under 7.7L/100Km. The odometer went from around 1,400 to 2,300 at the time, so it would still have been running in.

Consumption seems on a par with my lighter VS S2 Manual.

Last edited:

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
calaiscruise said:
Oh well, might have to get my noodle working, to invent my own custom ducting.

Don't bother. Nothing so far has proven to be better than these:

http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/frame1024x768.htm

Note: It probably won't make a lick of difference until you get a "tune" done. The Gen3 has all the right hardware for a hi-po engine, but Holden ship them with a very poor tune.

C

CUL8TER

Fuel Consumption Vy

stono said:
I recently brought a commodore vy lumina and am getting around 14.5-15.5l/100km. I was wondering what everyones else VY fuel consumption is because the redbook site says fuel consumption is around 10l/100km. I don't drive it excessively hard or fast.

This is my first commodore and was wondering if this is excessive or normal.
Cheers
Stono
THIS IS WAY OVER THE TOP I RUN A VY BERLINA 2002 ALTHOUGH WE LIVE COUNTRY WE RUN AT A 60/40 CITYRUN FULL COUNTRY ONLY WITH THE LEAD FOOT DRIVING (WIFE) CONSUMPTION SHOWS A CONSISTANT 9.5L/100KM BERLINA SHOWS FUEL USED AND IS ACCURATE TO WITH IN .25 OF A LITRE EVERY TIME I FILL UP .IE COMPUTER SAYS IVE USED 25.25L
BUT I PUT IN 25.75L CAN LIVE WITH THAT PSSS
LIVE IN SA ALL COUNTRY IS AT 110KM HAVE HAD COUNTRY RUNS AS LOW AS 8.8L AND 8.9L/100KM ITS TIME FOR A CHECK UP!!!

mars_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi,

I just recently bought an auto VY V6 commodore.
My fuel consuption sits on about 16-17L/100kms
I drive mostly to and from work in traffic. I thinks thats pretty high considering red book has average city consumption at 11L/100kms

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Just did my first h/way run since my engine was rebuilt under warranty. Details in another thread. Anyway, form Tamworth to End of F3 north of Sydney last w/e gave me 7.7L/100km.