Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption.

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by stono, Aug 30, 2004.

1. VYIIbartman

VYIIbartman New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII
    I have a v6 vy series 2 :)
    I average 9.7L/100kms around town (47km/h average speed)
    and best i got in the country was 7.9L/100km (70km/h average speed) :yeah:

Best to 'coast' and 'roll' around town to get better millage i've found.

I tend to sit 3 or 4 car lengths behind the traffic to avoid heavy braking, and take off 'gently' from lights etc. funny that ... seems to do wonders on the fuel bill :thumbsup:

cheers
    ---Bart

2. Blue-Chip

Blue-Chip New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Commodore
    Hi all, with this topic being all about getting max fuel economy I will pose a
    question to all the mathematicians out there based on some of the figures obtained later in this thread.
    I will only be referring to v6 ecotecs, and stating some facts about there engine
    management operation in relation to fuel consumption.
    Crank and warm up mode will start @ 10:1 A/F ratio and progressively get leaner
    as the engine warms up and the oxygen sensors warm up reaching Stoic 14.76:1 A/F.
    Idle and light load driving will run the vehicle @ Stoic 14.76:1 A/F ratio, this will change marginally richer when light acceleration is applied due to a non
    synchronous pulse added to the original pulse width of the injectors, this is apparent on the trip meter when in instantaneous fuel mode.
    Next when we enter PE mode [power enrichment] by moving the TPS [throttle
    position sensor] above 45% the A/F ratio applied to the engine is somewhere
    in the region of 11.5:1- 12.5: A/F and if you held the pedal to the metal above 100km for a time longer than 10 seconds the system would enter high
    road speed enrichment, hi flow enrichment and high temp enrichment, all these combined will pull A/F ratios down to a very rich state of about 10.5:1-
    11.5:1. and this is due to the factory setting up the program in this way in order of lowering combustion temperature and reducing Nox emissions.
    The only time you will obtain best economy is when the vehicle is operation in
    lean cruise mode, in order to enter this mode the engine coolant temp must be above 80C, the vehicle must be travelling above 70km and A/F must be @ stoic of 14.76:1 A/F, once these conditions apply the system waits for a time of 150 seconds before entering lean cruse mode.
    When your engine management has entered this mode IT will start of by decrementing .1 of a ratio from the original 14.76:1 every 10 seconds until it leans the engine out to a maximum A/F ratio of 16:1 and if there is any rapid
    movement of the throttle, it will drop out of this mode and wait for the same
    conditions mentioned above to apply before entering lean cruise mode again.
    I have put t5his stuff up coz it may help some of you guys in changing driving
    habits if seeking real good fuel economy, so see how you go with this bit of
    info and if there is any interest in all of this, I will share my plan of attack with reprogramming the engine management system for much improved fuel economy in a follow up post.:thumbsup:

Cheers Lou
    BCT

3. RKZ234

RKZ234 Guest

Lou, you clearly have a high degree of technical knowlege (that the majority of us don't) which explains why manyof us have been able to achieve better than 1000km from a standard tank in a VX/VY V6.

Anecdotally the secret has always been smooth driving, maintaining a constant speed and avoiding giving the car a big dose of right foot when overtaking.

I've bettered 1000km a tank by setting cruise at 102 driving Brizzy to Melb down the Newell and attempted to overtake as much as possible at the cruise controlled speed.

Your figures explain why this technique is effective.

4. fitzy2005

fitzy2005 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S2 Berlina
    they were the days, 94c / ltr

5. Blue-Chip

Blue-Chip New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Commodore

RKZ234, I was merely stating some of the workings of the standard factory calibration that runs the engine management systems in these vehicle.
    We are now under development of a hot air induction system that may be easily fitted to the engine with a re calibrated program to further improve engine and fuel efficiency, so this combined with smooth driving habits will drive your dollar much further.
    I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers Lou.

6. Puggle

Puggle New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
    What about the worst fuel economy?

Fang your Gen3 around town and watch the fuel disappear-it's amazingly fast!
    Easily higher than 25L/100km

Just adding - SS Gen3 Manual gets below 9L/100km in 6th on flat motorway, had a free flow exhaust so that may help a little, but I have seen time and time again close to 7L/100km in my SS.

Also I find I can do way more to a tank with my Gen3 than my mates' Acclaim V6 if there is just cruising, no revving. Take 60seconds to get to 100kmh in the V8 if i'm wringing the kays out.

SashaA likes this.
  7. oxleigh

oxleigh ox

Members Ride:
    vy11 exec LPG
    fuel consumption VY11 v6 LPG

My LPg VY11 V6 with holden kit gets 11 to 13 l/100k around town, it can get as low as 9.5 on trips at 100km/h. the cost??, it has paid for itself since last Sept 2005, I have done 30,000 km, the power is little different from Optimax. Starts either hot or cold are great, smaller boot, big car, who cares. very happy, 4c/l discount is much greater precentage of cost than petrol. I have had 7.5 l/100k on a trip to Wagga Wagga from Moss Vale using Optimax, optimax always gives me better econ than std unleaded, Cruise better than foot, I have tested this in 3 Commodores, VR, VT and for a little while in the VY11, all v6, then I switched to LPG.
    I have also fitted fog lights that shine at 30deg angle out each side, much better than straight ahead, and never used illeagally, and an MP3 player that plugs into the cig lighter and transmits to the radio, still testing, there will soon be fog lights conversion that come on either side when the blinkers come on and go off after turning.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. acky

acky Guest

hi guys
    I just got my hands on a VY series 2 v6 excec and have found the fuel economy to be pretty good , I travel 80ks a day up into the Adelaide hills and back about 60% freeway 40% town fuel economy averages for week to be always around 9.8 - 10.1 it slowly creeps up to around 10.3 on the weekend.

9. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    My VY Crewman V6 gets aboutt 16L/100Ks around town and 9.5L/100Ks on the highway.

10. dis

dis Guest

Fuel economy

285RWKW VYSS on the highway M6 with 3:91 diff gets me around 680km to the tank at 120kmph at around 10/11 per 100km, 140kmph is bugger all different, driving reasonably around town results in no worse than 14L/100km unless its real late at night and you're smelling the smoke from the tyres.

11. dis

dis Guest

To Secret Squirrel

Also have a VZ Adventra, getting about the same fuel economy but its 5.7L, and when opened up to around 300kw with edit, exhaust, and intake it'll improve, should have gone the 8 mate.. I can tow 2 tonne and fuel economy dosen't go up much.. see you in the rearview..

12. mister stato

mister stato New Member

Members Ride:
    2001 wh statesman
    Hey guys according to the digital read out on my 01 statesman's dash im getting 20L per 100k's. The car has a 197,000 k's on it and is an ls1 which is mainly getting used for travel in a small city with light traffic and is driven fairly conservatively, do these figures sound bad? and if so can anyone suggest a fix for it?

Cheers Jayp

13. MYVESSV8

MYVESSV8 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    is that your instant or average use, whales being heavier brethren will use a bit more though, check tyre pressure, filters, service etc, this will help generally, your O2 sensors may need doing, excess weight in the car (all the crap in the boot etc), best to do the fill up use, record k's, 3 or 4 times and compare, more accurate if the sensors are out

14. Surfwagon

Surfwagon Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
    What is your avg speed that goes with that 20L avg.
    If its lower than 30kph then all is probably fine.
    30-40kph could be the extra weight of the whale.
    above 40kph then there might be something going on with your tune, plugs, leads, O2's etc.

15. horsie

horsie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS Wagon
    Hi guys
    I just got a VY SS wagon with around 200K on the clock
    when i picked it had 2/3 of a tank. i was cruising around fairly sedately getting around 14 to 15 L per 100K . then i filled up the car with Shell 95 and almost instantly the numbers started going up and up till i was sitting on 19.5 ! i filled up again using 98 , quarter of a tank later no change , still sitting in the 19's
    after doing some research on these forums i reset the ecu by unplugging a battery lead and putting the headlights on till the car was completely dead.
    fired her up again and drove for about 15K's and i am now getting 13.9 and the car feels much smoother and more responsive than before
    i wonder if this is a real improvement or just the way the computer is calculating it.
    either way i am sure the car feels better to drive
    Cheers

16. Sdel179

Sdel179 Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6
    If you keep it under 3000 revs and try to avoid stop start traffic eg coast along as must as you can I average mid to high 9s. on the freeway cruise set get mid to low 8s.. in stop start heavy traffic I average mid 11s it depends on how you drive them.. eg not like a bogan a dore driver..that's a auto VY V6 ecotec

17. SashaA

SashaA New Member

Members Ride:
    Black VY SS M6 Wagon
    Best I got is 7.8L/100km from Melbourne to Geelong.
    That's with PaceMaker extractors, OTR & Tune.
    Just a bit of commonsense, sit in 6th with cruise and don't touch the accelerator.

I'm sitting on 10.2L/100km with 2000kms of mixed driving - not bad from a 5.7L V8!

18. dazz477266

dazz477266 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx Calais 5.7
    thats just as high as mine but i got vx 5.7 thats high for v6 bit of heavy foot ill say