Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
I disagree to the theory of Premium giving you better fuel economy, My old VT1 as i have mentioned in other areas of this forum gave me better economy on the highway with STD Unleaded than premium, in this case, Shell Optimax. Both were filled at a servo within 15kms of each other, (The Shell being the closer to Adelaide). Both were done using cruise control, both runs were about the same time of year at the same time of day. Optimax got me to the Cnr of Portrush and Glen Osmond Rds, right at the bottom of the hill as you drop into Adelaide, and HAD to be filled. The STD Unleaded not only got me to Adelaide, but I started the trip 15kms further back into Melbourne, was able to check into my accomodation in West Beach, and then drove to the Airport in Adelaide where I filled the tank and, to my surprise, it only took 58 ltrs! This meant 730 kms on 58 ltrs, 17ltrs left over. The quick maths on this is an effective range of some 943kms on 1 tank of STD Unleaded or 7.95l/100km compared to about 10.29l/100kms on Optimax. So for mine, STD Unleaded is the only thing to run in a N/A ECOTEC V6. (My LS1 also loves the new United ULP Plus 94 RON too!! It gets anbout 8-9l/100kms Highway economy compared to 9-10l/100kms on 98RON.)

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
SPack said:
75% of my driving is on open country roads with moderate acceleration etc, the rest is in town (not quite city driving). I usually get between 9.2 - 10.2 l/100k with my v6 and 5 speed. That blows out to about 12.5 l/100k if I put the boot in and drive like the young WRX/Skyline doof doof kids around here!
Update: Just completed a round trip to Melbourne and back (from Toowoomba). Experimented a bit and found that standard unleaded worked best for me. Contrary to recent show on channel 7, I found that E10 actually cost me an extra liter per 100 km. Highway economy was about 8.3 l/100km (8.6 on one leg including transit through Sydney). When my wife drove, it climbed to about 9.3 because she doesn't use cruise control and accellerates fairly heavily. Can't belive the variation in fuel pricing! $1.11 in Toowoomba, $1.37 in NSW....eeyow, that hurts!

R

RKZ234

SPack said:
Update: Just completed a round trip to Melbourne and back (from Toowoomba). Experimented a bit and found that standard unleaded worked best for me. Contrary to recent show on channel 7, I found that E10 actually cost me an extra liter per 100 km. Highway economy was about 8.3 l/100km (8.6 on one leg including transit through Sydney). When my wife drove, it climbed to about 9.3 because she doesn't use cruise control and accellerates fairly heavily. Can't belive the variation in fuel pricing! $1.11 in Toowoomba, $1.37 in NSW....eeyow, that hurts!

I drove several vehicles last year in Queensland which use E10 exclusively, Several RA Rodeo's, a BA Sedan, BA Ute, VY ute and a VY sedan. They were noticeably heavier on fuel than the same vehicle I've driven previously on regular ULP.

Whilst E10 might give you a "warm fuzzy feeling" when you use it cause it suports the sugar industry, it increases a vehicles consumption. So, unless it's priced at least 15% cheaper than ULP, I wouldn't use it as it works out to be more expensive.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
This is very similar to what I get in my VY2 Calais 5.7 V8 ...... cannot get the economy that VY2 SS manuals seem to get with their tall overdrives. Oh well this is the price we pay for our automatics.

Sounds very tempting to get 300kw and 8.5L/100 hwy, of course that would void your engine warranty. I assume that's in Penrith NSW, what street are they in?

What mods do they do, is it reversible, how much??

jaskel said:
im getting about 14/16l/100km city driving in a VY2 Calais 5.7 V8 and around 10lt/100 on a country road.

There is a tuner in Penrith called Generation Motorsports who edits them to 300KW and 8.5lt/100 on the hwy and 10/12lt/100km city driving. Im getting the edit done soon.

jaskel

Hoon Squad, Member No 1
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Calais 5.7L LS1
Generation Motorsport
8/70 Mulgoa Rd
Penrith 2750
Phone/fax 02-4732-4260
e-mail [email protected]

Tell them that Jason sent ya (I have a VY2 Calais that he did a house call on)

They tell me there that they cannot tell you have had the edit done by using their computers at Holden...

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
This thread has made for interesting reading. I have a new Adventra SX6 with about 1800km's on the clock. Going to work doing pretty stop start driving (avg on clock is 27km/h) it's down around 16.4l/100km. On the open road, it's normally 10.5/100 with the lowest being 9.5.

While I realise the big Adventra has got a lot of mass to haul around and the 4WD system will inherently use more gas, I was thinking she might be a little easier on the gas around town, maybe 14-15l/100. My old VX with it's Ecotec seemed to do quite a bit better (I realise the VX is a fair bit lighter). Maybe with some more k's on the clock she might settle down a bit.

Perhaps later in it's life one of these pod/CAI intakes and an edit might improve the situation a little however there doesn't seem to be too much modifications of Alloytecs going on at the moment.

Si

Reaction score
What would be really nice to see is more people quoting the average km/h figure along with the litres/100km figure once they reach the end of their tank. It's really hard to quantify what type of traffic each person is experiencing, however the average km/h figure if it was not reset throughout the tank of fuel will give the real comparison.

theautomationguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman Cross 6
I have a Crewman Cross 6 Auto AWD with 2,000km I have just got 400k/m per 68l (size of tank) this equates to 17l/100km (the computer creeps up to 14.8l/100km) which is better than my previous figure of 18.8l/100kms. The computers calcs show better consumption than actual. I am a bit of a lead foot because this thing is so slow off the mark. The old VS with iron motor had better performance & economy. It takes so long to get up to the speed limit then it wants to take off. This power curve is all so wrong. How did Holden get it so wrong? The old V6 was much better. Any tips for low down power inprovements?

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
An update on my Adventra, after 3200km's it's now consistently averaging 14.5-15l/100 around town (on the computer) so it is getting better. That's on 91 unleaded.

Like Automationguy, I would love to hear thoughts on improving low end. My Ecotec VX had a lot more punch down low.
The 190 Alloytec has good power when it's revving, but I never get that high so it's a moot point.

I've asked Walkinshaw performance if they have plans for the 190 Alloytec, they have nothing yet, but 'soon'.

Si

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
trip along the grt ocn rd

i went to the grt ocn rd over the weekend and all through the stops and driving within the speed limit [ mostly @ 80] my VY acclaim returned about 7.3lt/100km. this also involved a spirited drive while it was raining cats and dogs at about 110 through the otways. city driving returns me mostly around 13.5 to 14.5/100km. I am not a heavy footer but still tend to overtake slower vehicles on the roads, [ sply nutheads who drive at 60 in a 80 zone] on burwood hwy. i have got BMC air filter and k&N oil filter in commie. i normally use shell optimax anything else that can be done to improve the fuel efficiency.. read someone talking about the stock exhaust sys being crap and when changed gives a better economy.. where can i get that upgraded to something better in melbourne??? i am a newbie with the big 6's and previously had a prelude which ran stock for most of its life..