Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption.

VYIIbartman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII
I have a v6 vy series 2 :)
I average 9.7L/100kms around town (47km/h average speed)
and best i got in the country was 7.9L/100km (70km/h average speed) :yeah:

Best to 'coast' and 'roll' around town to get better millage i've found.

I tend to sit 3 or 4 car lengths behind the traffic to avoid heavy braking, and take off 'gently' from lights etc. funny that ... seems to do wonders on the fuel bill :thumbsup:

cheers
---Bart

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hi all, with this topic being all about getting max fuel economy I will pose a
question to all the mathematicians out there based on some of the figures obtained later in this thread.
I will only be referring to v6 ecotecs, and stating some facts about there engine
management operation in relation to fuel consumption.
Crank and warm up mode will start @ 10:1 A/F ratio and progressively get leaner
as the engine warms up and the oxygen sensors warm up reaching Stoic 14.76:1 A/F.
Idle and light load driving will run the vehicle @ Stoic 14.76:1 A/F ratio, this will change marginally richer when light acceleration is applied due to a non
synchronous pulse added to the original pulse width of the injectors, this is apparent on the trip meter when in instantaneous fuel mode.
Next when we enter PE mode [power enrichment] by moving the TPS [throttle
position sensor] above 45% the A/F ratio applied to the engine is somewhere
in the region of 11.5:1- 12.5: A/F and if you held the pedal to the metal above 100km for a time longer than 10 seconds the system would enter high
road speed enrichment, hi flow enrichment and high temp enrichment, all these combined will pull A/F ratios down to a very rich state of about 10.5:1-
11.5:1. and this is due to the factory setting up the program in this way in order of lowering combustion temperature and reducing Nox emissions.
The only time you will obtain best economy is when the vehicle is operation in
lean cruise mode, in order to enter this mode the engine coolant temp must be above 80C, the vehicle must be travelling above 70km and A/F must be @ stoic of 14.76:1 A/F, once these conditions apply the system waits for a time of 150 seconds before entering lean cruse mode.
When your engine management has entered this mode IT will start of by decrementing .1 of a ratio from the original 14.76:1 every 10 seconds until it leans the engine out to a maximum A/F ratio of 16:1 and if there is any rapid
movement of the throttle, it will drop out of this mode and wait for the same
conditions mentioned above to apply before entering lean cruise mode again.
I have put t5his stuff up coz it may help some of you guys in changing driving
habits if seeking real good fuel economy, so see how you go with this bit of
info and if there is any interest in all of this, I will share my plan of attack with reprogramming the engine management system for much improved fuel economy in a follow up post.:thumbsup:

Cheers Lou
BCT

R

RKZ234

Lou, you clearly have a high degree of technical knowlege (that the majority of us don't) which explains why manyof us have been able to achieve better than 1000km from a standard tank in a VX/VY V6.

Anecdotally the secret has always been smooth driving, maintaining a constant speed and avoiding giving the car a big dose of right foot when overtaking.

I've bettered 1000km a tank by setting cruise at 102 driving Brizzy to Melb down the Newell and attempted to overtake as much as possible at the cruise controlled speed.

Your figures explain why this technique is effective.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
peeete said:
in my VX i work on a system that $10 = 100klms

it actually works out about right.

just checked the odo and i got about 210 from $20 @ 94c per litre = about 21L

they were the days, 94c / ltr

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
RKZ234 said:
Lou, you clearly have a high degree of technical knowlege (that the majority of us don't) which explains why manyof us have been able to achieve better than 1000km from a standard tank in a VX/VY V6.

Anecdotally the secret has always been smooth driving, maintaining a constant speed and avoiding giving the car a big dose of right foot when overtaking.

I've bettered 1000km a tank by setting cruise at 102 driving Brizzy to Melb down the Newell and attempted to overtake as much as possible at the cruise controlled speed.

Your figures explain why this technique is effective.

RKZ234, I was merely stating some of the workings of the standard factory calibration that runs the engine management systems in these vehicle.
We are now under development of a hot air induction system that may be easily fitted to the engine with a re calibrated program to further improve engine and fuel efficiency, so this combined with smooth driving habits will drive your dollar much further.
I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers Lou.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
What about the worst fuel economy?

Fang your Gen3 around town and watch the fuel disappear-it's amazingly fast!
Easily higher than 25L/100km

Just adding - SS Gen3 Manual gets below 9L/100km in 6th on flat motorway, had a free flow exhaust so that may help a little, but I have seen time and time again close to 7L/100km in my SS.

Also I find I can do way more to a tank with my Gen3 than my mates' Acclaim V6 if there is just cruising, no revving. Take 60seconds to get to 100kmh in the V8 if i'm wringing the kays out.

oxleigh

ox
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy11 exec LPG
fuel consumption VY11 v6 LPG

My LPg VY11 V6 with holden kit gets 11 to 13 l/100k around town, it can get as low as 9.5 on trips at 100km/h. the cost??, it has paid for itself since last Sept 2005, I have done 30,000 km, the power is little different from Optimax. Starts either hot or cold are great, smaller boot, big car, who cares. very happy, 4c/l discount is much greater precentage of cost than petrol. I have had 7.5 l/100k on a trip to Wagga Wagga from Moss Vale using Optimax, optimax always gives me better econ than std unleaded, Cruise better than foot, I have tested this in 3 Commodores, VR, VT and for a little while in the VY11, all v6, then I switched to LPG.
I have also fitted fog lights that shine at 30deg angle out each side, much better than straight ahead, and never used illeagally, and an MP3 player that plugs into the cig lighter and transmits to the radio, still testing, there will soon be fog lights conversion that come on either side when the blinkers come on and go off after turning.

Last edited:
A

acky

hi guys
I just got my hands on a VY series 2 v6 excec and have found the fuel economy to be pretty good , I travel 80ks a day up into the Adelaide hills and back about 60% freeway 40% town fuel economy averages for week to be always around 9.8 - 10.1 it slowly creeps up to around 10.3 on the weekend.

D

dis

Fuel economy

285RWKW VYSS on the highway M6 with 3:91 diff gets me around 680km to the tank at 120kmph at around 10/11 per 100km, 140kmph is bugger all different, driving reasonably around town results in no worse than 14L/100km unless its real late at night and you're smelling the smoke from the tyres.