Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption.

JeSTeROCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Wagon
If you have an exhaust with aftermarket extractors and twin cats a balance pipe after the extractors and before the cats improves fuel economy as well.

Feels like its sucking you along at low rpm and light throttle.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
the biggest problems with all cars these days, when run on a dyno with the air/fuel ratio, on average a car straight from the factory air/fuel ratio is about 11.0:1 to 12.0:1 on the dyno which is way to rich. Hench every new model notice there is a 5kw increase, thats because the manufactors lean the engines of slightly to give better fuel economy and that 5kw increase. when i brought my vy ss, i desided to do a fuel consumption test a no way on earth could i even match what they reckon they use, who knows where they done there testing, and under what conditions. So i took the car to work a decided to start to have a play, and ran the car on the dyno, and just what every car showed up, extremly rich. So i put a complete exhaust on the vehicle, changed the air intake tube to make the car breath better, and fitted a aftermarket ecu, and done a mild tune with 225rwkw. Noticable the car went much harder, and drove better. So i completed another fuel consumption test and my results were approx 500km to a tank round town and nearly 700-750km to a tank highway driving, which thats what i reckon a car should get to a tank. Even more i've now tuned the car up to 256rwkw, and im going to do a fuel consumption test over a month, to see if its any better.

B

Beaves

tankey said:
Had the same sort of problem in my VY. When in for a service, they did a re-calibration as they new this was a problem.

Cheers
Hi Tanky, just curious about the re calibration on you ute mate, i just recently bought a VY s pack one tonner (auto) myself with 49 000 ks on the clock drove from Cairns to Townsville the other day approx 340ks i only seemed to get aout 400ks to a tank before it needed filling up, was this the same sought of prob u were having and would u have any info? Thanks Beaves.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
VY Service "Recalibration" of ECU?

tankey said:
Had the same sort of problem in my VY. When in for a service, they did a re-calibration as they new this was a problem.

Cheers

I'm curious about this recalibration that you said was done on your VY when servicing :w00t:

Did holden upgrade the software in your ECU, or is it related to a "clean start" of the ECU I recall hearing somewhere.... something to do with disconnecting the battery lead for some seconds/minutes (?) that "resets" the ECU and can improve fuel economy/power ????

If only Gregory's would produce a Service Manual for the VY-VY2 series, I want to get my hands dirty again (reminiscing over my old uncomplicated '79 HZ Premier that I often dismantled, fixed, upgraded parts etc.) . Too many computers/electronics on my VY2 to touch without technical manual.

R

RKZ234

calaiscruise said:
I'm curious about this recalibration that you said was done on your VY when servicing :w00t:

Did holden upgrade the software in your ECU, or is it related to a "clean start" of the ECU I recall hearing somewhere.... something to do with disconnecting the battery lead for some seconds/minutes (?) that "resets" the ECU and can improve fuel economy/power ????

It's a software upgrade/update which allegedly fixes the fuel guage inaccuracy.

For people with no problem, the update creates one,
For people with a problem, it doesn't fix it!!

The update is a joke! It's about as useful as tits on a Bull. :mad:

But Holden keeps churning vehicles out of the factory knowing about this design fault and fails to declare it to buyers and is incapable of fixing it after you all take delivery.

Holden really doesn't care about the customer at all!

Jamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I am averaging 11.8 - 12.0 litres / 100 km around the city.

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
I get around 10.3-11.2/100km around town but thats due to low speeds so fuel useage is higher but on the highways is 8.3-8.9/100km which is better

Only gets driven on weekends so my fuel bill is cheap in long run :yeah: and got my old car for going to work in

The stock exhaust system on the V6 is terrible as its cheap and nasty

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
I get nearly 14ltr/100km driving around in Sydney traffic in my VX2 S (standard V6). I also drive regularly to Canberra and get around 8.x ltrs/100km with cruise on until i get to the only twisty bit near Lake George :)

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
Forgot to mention .. i get under 13ltr/100km driving around in Canberra traffic.

R

Rainbow

Recent trip Sydney to Melbourne and return, V8 VY Berlina, mostly cruise control at 110 on a GPS which checked @ 115KPH on speedo at the Victorian Hume Highway Speedo Check, towing a canine trailer both ways. Head wind going down, 15.2L/100, return in a no-wind situation returned 12.9 l/100. Used normal ULP from Caltex or Shell (guess where we shop ! )