Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy, 02 Sensor replacement. L67

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac Series II Supercharged L67
Hi guys,

Currently my VY S Pack L67 is sitting around 17-19/100Km. This is all city driving with minimal highway driving. I believe this is pretty high for a V6, even though its supercharged.

It has a Mace Cold air intake and is running a 10psi pulley.

Plugs, Leads have been changed less than 10,000km ago.
Fuel filter was replaced 15,000Km ago. How long do these suckers last/or how often should they be replaced?

Im obviously running 98Ron fuel from BP. No codes are evident and the Holden mechanics said not to change 02's unless there is warning/fault code.
The car has done 175,000Km.

Im looking at swapping the 02 sensors as ive found they aren't that expensive to replace if i get aftermarket brands.

Holden wanted close to $190 per sensor, I obviously need 2.

I've jumped on ebay and found these:

2x NEW Holden VS VT VX VY VZ VE LS1/2/3 Oxygen Sensor | eBay

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Has anyone tried any of these 2 brands of 02 sensors, or can anyone help me with my situation.
Thanks

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Many people don't replace o2 sensors until they completely die due to the cost of them. Apparently they should be replaced every 100,000kms though. Your city fuel usage does seem a little high.
In my opinion, this is one sensor I would NOT buy other than genuine GM/AC Delco as many aftermarket copies cause more trouble than they're worth.
If you're interested, I have a pair of brand new GM 4 wire o2 sensors to suit your VY l67 for $220. PM me if you're interested.
Cheers

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the quick reply cander24,

I just spoke to my mechanic and he can get them at trade for around that price. I appreciate your help though.

I'm still leaning towards the aftermarket ones and saving $120ish. What is the worst that could happen? Wouldn't I be able to plug my old ones back in, worst case scenario?

Thanks

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
I would not have any issue with after market sensors from a reputable manufacturer.
Just replaced them on my CV8. Initially got the wrong ones although we ordered the correct ones. They were wide band. In the wrong box by the look. I ended up with a pair of NGK 4 wires at $50 each.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
The aftermarket ones I purchased on eBay for $79ea failed after 3 days. Stick to the genuine sensors and don't look back.

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where they from a reputable seller champ? Did they cause further problems or? What happens when they fail? Does your fuel just go through the roof or?

Cheers

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
They were from a seller who had a good reputation....only one side failed caused a low voltage. Fuel consumption was still reasonable but my car felt like ****. Shuddering on idle, loss of acceleration and stalling down to 300rpm. I put my genuine's back in and now it feels better and I'm on about 13l/100km in a lightly modified ls1 around town.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
How do you know if the o2 sensor is gone?
Dont guess work mate you end up wasting money.
Check the o2 sensor if its working properly.
Put it on the graph and look at the cross counts and voltage its working at. Should be a constand up and down voltage from 100mv-750mv-1v. This is only true in closed loop mode or when the o2 sensor is heated to operated temp.
There could be other factors unmetered air getting in, could be your sender unit from the tank, Holden has many problems with wrong reading gauges.

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
I forgot to check Repco! Thanks D3CID3R.

PRAVX II S, thanks for the detailed response. Do most mechanics have this tool to check o2 sensors voltage?
I just thought the cheapest thing would be to buy a set of o2's for $80 and to see if that helps, if not its only $80 that i'm down.
What concerned me is the high KM's of the vehicle (174,xxxkm), someone above mentioned they should be replaced every 100,xxx.

In regards to the 'unmetered air', are you refering to the sensor in my air filter enclosure not reading properly?

Cheers