Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy How to improve look ere

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Cheap6 said:
I like mouce's approach.

Rethink everything though.

A light car, goes better, stops better, handles better as well as using less fuel.

Big wheels count twice because energy is absorbed in spinning them up when accelerating. Save them for the weekend or forget them altogether. You can't see them when you're driving anyway. Standards are cheaper to buy and run, less theft risk, ride better and probably handle better (more predictably).

No body kit. Likewise. Probably less aero. drag too.

Maybe lose the spare tyre in favour of foot pump and tyre repair kit - 20 kg there. Don't need a jack or wheel brace then either.

Get a pocket street directory. The full size ones are over 1kg.

Wheel trims - 0.56 kg/ , X4 - same as for big wheels.

Sound deadening - how much can you live without?

Gut the doors - don't need central locking on the rear doors, only on one door on the passenger side of the car. 0.6-0.7kg X 2 there. Same with wind up windows, especially electric.

Lose the rear seat and seat belts - another 10-15kg. How often do you carry more than one passenger anyway.

Lose the big stereo and carry your MP3 player. If you do carry passengers, everyone can listen to their own music then too. No CDs - 0.1kg each, no big speakers, amps, head unit, stacker. Got to be 5-6kg + there.

Get lighter friends, girl/boyfriend and lose some weight yourself.

Paint is heavy - 20-25kg. Consider stripping it back to bare metal. If it starts to rust, even better. When it starts to flake off, even less weight.

Lose a muffler. Better sound, better flow, less weight - 4-5kg there.

Use low viscosity oils in diff., engine, manual trans. for less friction.

Use the smallest brakes available on you model of car. If the car weighs less, it stops better anyway.

Go to manual steering. No power steering pump means less drag as well as less weight. 10kg? Saves money on going to gym too. Just park the car a few times.

Never drive with a full tank of fuel. 30l fuel = 25kg.

Bahahaha (too short) hahahahahaha

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
"It's probably worth getting a carbon fibre bonnet too. Those things can save you what... 20kg? Added bonus: "

Vn bonnets are pretty heavy. I have noticed some other cars that ive worked on have light bonnets.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
buy aftermarket replacement panels, they suck but are lighter than stock items. my aftermarket bonnet is much lighter than stock but is dented along the front just from closing it.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I can see how that happens though. Bonnets on these things can take a fair whack to shut properly.

what caused you to get an aftermarket hood?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
a tree on the side of the road!! needed a new bonnet, bumper and reo after that. it doesnt need a good whack to close it, its just made from thin crappy steel.

i got a genuine second hand bonnet to go back on after i fix the dimples made by overtightened bonet protector screws and some silver paint.

im not after weight saving, id rather the car look decent. if i wanted weight saving, id get a sedan and pissof the subs in the back.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Doors too?

Front, shell only - 17kg
Rear, shell only - 13kg (sedan)

Some sort of composite has got to be lighter than those. Foam filled would help stiffness and crash resistance. Still illegal though :(.

(I'm only half joking with the other stuff, I got carried away and weighed a whole lot of things on (off) my car one bored Sunday arvo.)

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Commodore Executive....and a London bus
aussieghostrider said:
heres a list of things that cause bad fuel economy..

0.Bad tyre pressure ( standard pressure u should have is around 36 p.s.i. in each tyre)
1.o2 sensor ( replace it)
2.Coolant Temp Sensor (replace it)
3.Air filter dirty (clean throttle body & replace air filter)
4.Thermostat (replace it )
5.Fuel filter ( replace it )
6.injectors or Fuel Pressure Regulator & Spark plugs or Leads (Need cleaning & or replacing)
7.Cracked Manifold ( get pressure tested, if cracked replace both)
8.Blown headgasket ( check for oil in water vice versa,cracked head) engine reco
9.Lead foot ( time to buy a 4 cyl car)

Later...

How much is a coolant temp sensor, and where do you buy 'em?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Same as everything, at Holden and ask :)

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Coolant temp sensor costs around $15-$20 from repco or similar....

its easy to fit .. its at back of throttle body , if u get mechanic to do its like 3 mins work aslong as engine is cool so when removed it dont spray hot coolant everywhere.

if you pay someone to do , dont pay more than $40 as its as easy as replacing the oxygen sensor.

rredbeak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Lexcen commodore
AussieghostRider TY for posting how to get better fuel economy.
Im slowly working my way through your list and im noticing improvements already. Ive still got some of the list to go but its getting results already..

TY so much.. Cheers.. Rod