Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy How to improve look ere

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
heres a list of things that cause bad fuel economy..

0.Bad tyre pressure ( standard pressure u should have is around 36 p.s.i. in each tyre)
1.o2 sensor ( replace it)
2.Coolant Temp Sensor (replace it)
3.Air filter dirty (clean throttle body & replace air filter)
4.Thermostat (replace it )
5.Fuel filter ( replace it )
6.injectors or Fuel Pressure Regulator & Spark plugs or Leads (Need cleaning & or replacing)
7.Cracked Manifold ( get pressure tested, if cracked replace both)
8.Blown headgasket ( check for oil in water vice versa,cracked head) engine reco
9.Lead foot ( time to buy a 4 cyl car)

Later...

Last edited:

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
i had a hire car - new hyundai getz and economy was good but when i drove with my lead foot it was nearly the same as my vn with my lead foot

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Also i think another is to keep the car in the White D when under 80kmh and blue D when in need of 4th gear.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Just get a manual :) Much better.

10. Excess weight in the car. Take out all the junk that you don't actually NEED to be lugging around. Makes a bit of a difference.

vpallme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
the blue d as stated in the manual (i was curious) is overdrive and is for subruban drivng. i think the white d is for overtaking...

correct me if im wrong

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You can use the white D (or 2) to down-shift and prepare for overtaking (eg before you pull out on a two-way highway), but otherwise, dropping the hammer does a damn fine job of that by itself ^^

I tend to believe that having the car in either one of the Ds doesn't make -too- much of a difference in suburban driving. Overdrive only really has an effect on fuel economy when coasting at and above 60. I tend to pull the car back into 3rd (white D) when I'm coasting down a hill at 60, so the car engine brakes a little. Saves me riding the brakes all the way downhill.

That's all opinion, though ^^

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I like mouce's approach.

Rethink everything though.

A light car, goes better, stops better, handles better as well as using less fuel.

Big wheels count twice because energy is absorbed in spinning them up when accelerating. Save them for the weekend or forget them altogether. You can't see them when you're driving anyway. Standards are cheaper to buy and run, less theft risk, ride better and probably handle better (more predictably).

No body kit. Likewise. Probably less aero. drag too.

Maybe lose the spare tyre in favour of foot pump and tyre repair kit - 20 kg there. Don't need a jack or wheel brace then either.

Get a pocket street directory. The full size ones are over 1kg.

Wheel trims - 0.56 kg/ , X4 - same as for big wheels.

Sound deadening - how much can you live without?

Gut the doors - don't need central locking on the rear doors, only on one door on the passenger side of the car. 0.6-0.7kg X 2 there. Same with wind up windows, especially electric.

Lose the rear seat and seat belts - another 10-15kg. How often do you carry more than one passenger anyway.

Lose the big stereo and carry your MP3 player. If you do carry passengers, everyone can listen to their own music then too. No CDs - 0.1kg each, no big speakers, amps, head unit, stacker. Got to be 5-6kg + there.

Get lighter friends, girl/boyfriend and lose some weight yourself.

Paint is heavy - 20-25kg. Consider stripping it back to bare metal. If it starts to rust, even better. When it starts to flake off, even less weight.

Lose a muffler. Better sound, better flow, less weight - 4-5kg there.

Use low viscosity oils in diff., engine, manual trans. for less friction.

Use the smallest brakes available on you model of car. If the car weighs less, it stops better anyway.

Go to manual steering. No power steering pump means less drag as well as less weight. 10kg? Saves money on going to gym too. Just park the car a few times.

Never drive with a full tank of fuel. 30l fuel = 25kg.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
^^^Might have gone a little nuts there, but the idea is right. I was just talking about all the junk that my I sometimes end up with in the back of my car...workboots, a good sized toolbox, a couple of spare rims sometimes...the odd computer. That sort of stuff.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Also i forgot to mention el cheapo fuel from Liberty or Woolworths petrol stations is highly diluted with ethanol so this will give u crap mileage.

Only get petrol from Shell,Bp or Mobil...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Cheap6 said:
Get lighter friends, girl/boyfriend and lose some weight yourself.

Use the smallest brakes available on you model of car. If the car weighs less, it stops better anyway.

haha ^^

It's probably worth getting a carbon fibre bonnet too. Those things can save you what... 20kg? Added bonus: if you leave it black, all the civics will want to race you.