Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy of Auto/Manual VZ

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
I was at Holden Today and I noticed on the window of the new SS, SV8, SV6 and S Commodores that the Automatics are rated at better fuel ecomony than the Manuals of the same model (both V8 and V6), why is this so?
I would have thought that the Manual Transmission cars would have had better fuel economy..

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
The SV6's auto's are constantly changing up in gears to run the engine pretty low. How many people do you know that run the manual in 6th at 50kmh round town - the auto will be in 5th gear by then (If you are not accelerating).

The lockup torque converter operates almost constantly, so the car is almost always operating without the loss of a slipping torque converter (Unless it's in 5th at 50k's lol)

Personally I get 10.5l/100km on average from the car (Auto SV6). 8 on a trip & 11 round town on short trips.

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
daviddth said:
The SV6's auto's are constantly changing up in gears to run the engine pretty low. How many people do you know that run the manual in 6th at 50kmh round town - the auto will be in 5th gear by then (If you are not accelerating).

The lockup torque converter operates almost constantly, so the car is almost always operating without the loss of a slipping torque converter (Unless it's in 5th at 50k's lol)

Personally I get 10.5l/100km on average from the car (Auto SV6). 8 on a trip & 11 round town on short trips.

That is really good fuel economy....
Makes a bit of sense what you are saying..
Thanks

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Thats the way it was explained to me by the dealer & also what I have seen since I had the car. Ther economy is pretty good, considering the Mrs is a bit of a leadfoot (And I am too when theres no one else in the car).

It's odd tho, if you turn on active select, then at some speeds changing up a gear will actually increase the revs. What I put it down to is that the gearbox starts slipping more when you change to a gear that would put the revs too low. It does not happen often but it gets your attentioon when it does happen lol.