Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy while aircon is used?

Ellaiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Executive
Hi all. Can anyone please tell me what the avg fuel rate is with the aircon running? My 06 VZ auto chews around 35-40kms of fuel just driving 21.6kms according to the distance to empty option in the car. Any help would be great. Cheers.

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
There was a Mythbusters episode once that looked into fuel economy with the aircon on v's windows open. Long story short - for the best economy drive with the aircon off and windows down at slow speeds. At faster speeds 60kph+ is is more economical to have the windows up and aircon on.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
With a car like a Commodore it's not going to make much difference , as the engine is not exactly going to be over taxed with the air conditioning running

blackwarlock

braap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Shouldnt see a significant difference unless fan is on full. Usually put on 2 to cool the car then 1 to makntain temp wont effect fuel use. The V6's will see a loss in power though. Doesnt pull as hard especially up hills. So motor will rev harder then and you may see fuel ec worsen from that

Also if you have climate control it will exhasaberate the issue if u leave in on auto setting. Theyre renown for leaving the fans on high and theyre always running.

Again though shouldnt be hugely noticable in fuel ec. Keep in mind a 15km difference in fuel use equates to ~$2

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Not that it helps you much but in the VY SS I notice about 0.4L / 100KM increase if I am using the aircon.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Not that it helps you much but in the VY SS I notice about 0.4L / 100KM increase if I am using the aircon.

Similar with mine.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
cool and comfortable all the time, makes about 0.5 lt/100klm as against no aircon

Kcboiye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Wl Statesman
i gave mine a test when sitting at the lights one day
ac off: 1.3L
ac on: 1.8L

so was only about a 0.5lt jump

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
0.5 increase on normal day, up to 1.0L increase on a hot day.

It only affects me when I'm low on fuel and the warning indicator has gone off a few times and then reads 0km left on the trip meter. then its like "####, turn everything off till I get to a fuel station! lol

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
will notice it a fair bit at idle using the instant fuel use,

while driving wont nealy make any difference in fact, if your clever, everytime you coast down hill, or engine braking, with your foot off the trottle, turn the air con on and enjoy free cold air...... results will best come from a manual gearbox though