Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel economy

alan smithy

alan smithy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
went from melb. to narooma (nsw) stand. vs wagon, 2 people about 80 kilos in back. got 8.7 and 9.1 (lit. per 100) coming back 9.5 and 10.5 the last with 2 days city driving. never going over limit but 95-100 all the way. i thought pretty good as only get 14 - 15 in city. should get on highway about 700 on tank.never taken details before so wondering if this is normal?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yeah mate that's pretty good, about what I'd expect out of my VY V6.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
That's quite good actually!

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
My VS SII S Pack 5sp Manual V6 Sedan which I sold a few weeks ago consistenly had awesome fuel economy. I always do all of my own servicing and this helps with economy. The only mod to the car was a genuine cold air intake over the radiator.

I used to sit on 110km/h and I used to always get economy figures of 8lts/100kms. This works out to be 12.5kms per litre. I used to drive my VS normally and not drive it hard as my 10 sec VL in the garage is the car that gets the hard driving.

With every fuel up at the servo, I would reset trip meter. This then allows me to work out the economy figures in all of my cars with every trip to the servo. A good trick to see if your car is running well in similar conditions.

Servicing and tyre pressure is a key to great economy. I kept 36psi in front and rear, the oil was changed every 5000kms along with air cleaner element as I get trade from holden and it costs $7 or thereabouts. Put new plugs in every 2 years or less ($6.50 trade from my holden dealer for iridiums), change fuel filter, put some new leads on etc etc.

If all the normal servicing is kept up to date, then great economy in the 8-9lts per 100kms should be easy.

Oh, and I always only fill up with BP Ultimate 98 as fuel isn't the best anyway, so for a small extra cost, go for the best. It has cleaners to keep fuel system healthy and it is better on turbo cars etc. All my cars whether its a little runabout, daily driving VZ or my VLT Berlina see Ultimate 98 only.

PS Oh and if you stay on a constant 90-100km/h limit, fuel economy should be better than on 110km/h

scruffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec
Just my 2bob worth,
Recently had my old man drive my new vz(to me) from VIC to QLD and got 8.1l per 100 and then he drove my old VS back down and got 7l per 100.The VZ is better on fuel around town.
I have a friend that works for BP and he told me that the ethanol based fuel actually cleans the fuel system very well, and is more suited to the newer cars than the older ones as they have an upgraded fuel delivery system.

As Holdenonn mentioned,keeping the car in tune and tyres at the correct pressures does wonders for the economy as well. From what I got told from a auto serviceman, a VS gets great economy at 90ks than at any other speed(whether this is true or not I don't know),

What I noticed with my VS was that if I ran Premium fuel-the car idled smoothly and ran nice,fuel economy never changed,normal unleaded-car ran as normal but not the pickup as premium and had a "twitch"when idling,E10-fuel economy was crap and the car ran hot not to mention that I could hear the fuel pump at all times(very tinny).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's good to see you guys getting the kind of figures from a VS that they should do. So many of them these days have something wrong with them and wont do that anymore. You must be doing something right :) (the VS *should* be at least as efficient as any other Commodore ever built)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Ever since I added LPG to the WK LS1 V8 I've been running it cheap as chips. This week did 250km and cost me about $25 for 50litres. Plus I salary sacrifice my fuel and it works out to be another 30% off in tax savings. But thats besides the point.

I recommend to anyone LPG if they do a lot of driving and want to save $$$.