Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Do people actually read the opening posts in threads? The OP is asking about fuel economy of the SIDI engines and every bloke and his dog who own a VE, regardless of the model are giving their economy figures.

Global Xpress

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 Voodoo Ute
VE SV6 Ute, MY10, SIDI, about 4200km, averaging 9.2 - 9.3 lt / 100km. Mixed freeway and city driving. That is calculated at the pump, not the trip computer. The computer has never shown below 9.9 or so.
Generally get over 700 km comfortably without the lo fuel light. Was running it on 95, have just started it on 91 (no ethanol) to see the difference. Not super interested in performance at this time, only upgrade at the moment is SS quad mufflers.

ChrisL98

NON DONATING MEMBER
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Your economy sounds pretty high but the way you drive its not surprising. Don't worry about it, you'll lose your license soon enough then it won't matter.

LOL, nice.

think you're in the wrong forums mate =p

Nope, he's on the perfect forum to make that comment.

I do this on roads out in the country 6hours from sydney that never see a cop.

So that makes it okay? After you've turned 19 & grown a brain you'll *hopefully* realise that roads aren't a racetrack, there's a speed limit for a reason. This is where I'd normally tell you to take your car to the track but I won't, I imagine you're the sort who prefer the traffic light GP in your fooly sic hectic bro Commy. Correct?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
So that makes it okay? After you've turned 19 & grown a brain you'll *hopefully* realise that roads aren't a racetrack, there's a speed limit for a reason.

I totally agree. I have seen too many people die in cars because of stupid behaviour, and while the occasional full throttle overtake might be ok, doing this all the time, driving like this in the built up areas, or in housing areas is plain crazy, but seems to be the norm for some people in here.

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International MY10
my 2 week old VE has now got 1400km on it, and the lowest i've seen it is last night on the monash fwy at 8.3L/100km, but mine is not a SV6, so i guess an sv6 would be a bit more? liking the idea that it could keep getting better as the engine runs in more. also was in st kilda yesterday with half of melbourne (first sunny day) and was crawling along (crawling on my hands and knees actually would have been faster) for about 45mins and even tho i failed to check my fuel econ at the time, that tank averaged 10.something which i thought was not bad at all, seeing as i'd done town driving on well over two-thirds of it. i spose i am comparing it to a vz crewman tho which was never below 10 unless on flat hwys, but im enjoying not fillig up too regularly! :)
i am interested to know how the various mods help with fuel efficiency, as i am a novice with cars.?
and sorry to ask what may be a very blonde question - if the mods can help so much with efficiency, why wouldnt they be standard? (am sure there must be a good reason!?)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The why are they not standard question is a good one. Same reason why they don't make the V8s with decent exhaust systems. Basically, holden builds their cars to a price, and to an average market. So money that is spent on things like chassis development and body design, is saved on things like exhaust and induction. They do what they need to do to make a good car, which is great for most people. But for people wanting their V8s to sound like V8s or who are interested in precision and handling over a comfortable ride, they have to fork out decent wads of cash on aftermarket gear to get what they want.

As for your car, you're fairly limited in terms of mods with the 3.0L. There's no tune out (and I don't know of any plans for one) so any mods you do will rely on the ECUs ability to adapt. Having said that, you would see some improvement from an induction upgrade - particularly in the piping moreso than filter type. Keep in mind though that you'll only see an improvement in economy if you can resist the temptation to stand on the loud pedal harder!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My Sv6 is 10 days old

It's done 350 k's so far
My driving is bumper to bumper with average speed of 25k's !!!

Anyway being brand new in really bad traffic trip computer is showing 16.1 L at the moment

I'm unsure what petrol is in as the dealership filled it up. probably E10 rubbish

I'm gonna fill it up in couple of days with premium and keep monitoring it.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
My Sv6 is 10 days old

It's done 350 k's so far
My driving is bumper to bumper with average speed of 25k's !!!

Anyway being brand new in really bad traffic trip computer is showing 16.1 L at the moment

I'm unsure what petrol is in as the dealership filled it up. probably E10 rubbish

I'm gonna fill it up in couple of days with premium and keep monitoring it.

I have a 2010 SV6 SIDI and average around 15L with an average speed of 26-27kmh

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
guys - you have to remember it takes a while for the motor to get "run in ' and allow time for it to gain optimal fuel economy