Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Hey Guys,

Saw a few threads on different fuels used in the V8's so figured I'd do an experiment with my own and post some results up since it looked like mostly opinion.

Basically I ran 4 tanks of E85, Vortex 98 and Vortex 95 and averaged out the range and cost per km for each fuel. The aim was to find the fuel that was cheapest but still ran nice in the car.

Notes:
  • I live near a caltex so I didn't try other fuel brands.
  • I was going to get data on e10 but after putting it in the tank yesterday the car has run so crappy I'm not going to punish the car with 4 tanks of it.
  • All driving was done with 4 tanks of the indicated fuel with 3 tanks of commuting in Canberra (25kms each way) and 1 inter-state trip for consistency.
  • I use A/C once in a blue moon so 98% of the driving was done with it off.
  • The tank was filled up when the low fuel indicator came on so roughly 62L is used per tank.
  • The vehicle used is a September build 2011 Auto SS-V with no mods (hasn't had it's 15 thou service yet).
  • Driving was done from october 2011 till now so no winter fuel mix was tried.

Results

E85:
Avg Range: 415KM
Avg cost per KM: 19.4c

Vortex 98:
Avg Range: 519.75KM
Avg cost per KM: 19.2c

Vortex 95:
Avg Range: 511KM
Avg cost per KM: 18.7c

So there's my results. Your mileage may vary (I rarely drive like a christian motorist) but I dare say the cost difference between fuels should be fairly consistent.

***Update****

Finished with 4 tanks of BP ultimate. Found it to feel the best power wise out of all the fuels tried. So without further ado here's the result.

BP Ultimate:
Avg Range: 499km
Avg cost per KM: 19.7c

***Update 2****

Finished 4 tanks of 91 unleaded from 7/11. Found it was about equivalent to vortex 95 go wise (tho I really can't tell the difference now that I'm back on bp ultimate). Results below.

91 unleaded 7/11
Avg Range: 528.5km
Avg cost per KM: 17.5c

Last edited:

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Good to see I'm not the only one who does this stuff. Not as much now as it's not my daily anymore. Did you notice much difference between the 98 and e85 performance wise?

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Awesome work. Looks like you put a bit of thought into this for a reliable result.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Good to see I'm not the only one who does this stuff. Not as much now as it's not my daily anymore. Did you notice much difference between the 98 and e85 performance wise?

It was barely noticeable but what I did notice was having to fill up every 4 days. I would recommend 98 over e85 any day simply for the time saving of filling up less. But it was nice opening the bowser up that had "WARNING NOT PETROL OR DIESEL" on it and watching people gawping at me putting 60L in from the forbidden pump.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
lol

Id be keen so see you try Ultimate 98 if you have one nearby?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Excellent info Kato...would be interested to know what average price per litre you paid for each fuel? Was the E85 the last fuel you used and did you think it took a little while to adjust to the fuel change? My results on the V6 are very similar...although not worked out to the per KM I dare say very similar percenatge differences in useage and costs.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Excellent info Kato...would be interested to know what average price per litre you paid for each fuel? Was the E85 the last fuel you used and did you think it took a little while to adjust to the fuel change? My results on the V6 are very similar...although not worked out to the per KM I dare say very similar percenatge differences in useage and costs.

E85 was the first fuel I used in the testing (was about the 3rd tank I put in the thing from getting it new) followed by 98 and then 95.

It did seem to pick up performance the more it used it so it could get better with more than 4 tanks (I hear 6 tanks is the magic number for improvement but no data to support it) but I didn't notice much difference going to 98 and it basically stayed at the same level for all 4 tanks of 98.

Fuel was bought at Kaleen Caltex except for e85 which was in Nicholls (only northside outlet for e85 in Canberra).

Avg Fuel cost/L by type:
E85: $1.29.7
Vortex 98: 1.59.2
Vortex 95: 1.54.2

@RiCeY: I'm lookin to do some numbers on that fuel since e10 is a bust. Just gotta locate a BP that isn't 3 suburbs away from where I live and work.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
caltex fuel is poo,

there is hardly any difference between the 95 and 98. I know this from experience (my car was pulling timing like crazy using vortex98). I now use BP Ultimate or Shell v-power.

Would be interesting to see you do this with BP Ultimate and see the difference.

They did this on a current affair and the 98 was better, but I don't think they ever said what brand of fuel it was

cheers

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That's very good dedicated test

I will be doing a similar test using Shell petrol

e10, 95 and vPower

Stay tuned for results :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride