Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
caltex fuel is poo,

there is hardly any difference between the 95 and 98. I know this from experience (my car was pulling timing like crazy using vortex98). I now use BP Ultimate or Shell v-power.

Would be interesting to see you do this with BP Ultimate and see the difference.

They did this on a current affair and the 98 was better, but I don't think they ever said what brand of fuel it was

cheers

the guy that did the tune on my car said that Vortex98 was better, BP Ultimate was the worst. I always use Vortex and it runs better than on Ultimate.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
I've noticed a lot of people trash various brands (I myself am not a fan of Shell). Seems to vary region to region and servo to servo. I'm interested to see the data behind them all though. I'll upload my incomplete data from e10 after this tank and probably switch to ultimate 98 or something.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Cammed auto ssv on liquid injected lpg 9.7 cents per kilometer

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
the guy that did the tune on my car said that Vortex98 was better, BP Ultimate was the worst. I always use Vortex and it runs better than on Ultimate.

You're right there... I should of stated "Vortex 98 from Woolworth owned Caltex"

I heard that BP Ultimate is the only fuel that they will guarantee to be 98?

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
BP Ultimate is the most consistent fuel across all BP Servos,.

Shell V-Power can be great too BUT not all petrol stations have this consistant Octane and because there are aparently more additives in the V-power, as opposed to Ultimate it can go off faster, thus petrol stations in rural areas may have lower octane V-Power because it is being replaced less than suburbier.

I used to use both V-POwer and Ultimate, but i noticed too much difference in response between V-Power at different servos. so i now use Ultimate all the time and its definately the best in my opinion.

gambler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS + HZ Kingswood
A fair bit better LPG = 108 Ron

What's the set up cost like for this? I've just started doing 1200 km's a week on the highway, and im spending a couple hundred on petrol a week.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Its not all about RON value. LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol. (It produces less total heat and therefore less peak pressure in the cylinder.) Simply put, LPG gives slightly less 'bang' per charge. LPG is slightly less potent as an internal combustion engine fuel. The driver will instinctively react to this by opening the throttle more to achieve the desired speed or rate of speed increase. Thus, more liquid fuel (LPG) will be used than when running on petrol. Also 108 is peak but not guaranteed. It can be as low as 102RON. All the above being said is is still generally cheaper to run, but performance wise petrol comes out on top in most cases.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
unless you have forced induction Liquid injection wins every time

Want the best fuel go E85 but expect to pay for it though