Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
OK guys updated the first post to include new results. Here they are again.

BP Ultimate:
Avg Range: 499km
Avg cost per KM: 19.7c

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
what about 91 ?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I wouldn't put e-anything in my cars, if you have ever opened the fill or dip hole at a servo and are greeted with the pungent smell of fermentation, just the same smell as my home brew room, you'd think twice.

Ethanol is so strictly monitored and tested, ie, before being loaded at the refinery, after loading at the refinery, before unloading at the fuel terminal, after being mixed with the petrol at the terminal, after being loaded into the tanker at the terminal, then gets thrown down some dirty hole in the ground and forgotten about for who knows how long until you pump it into your car....er, no thanks.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would you use 91 in a 6L?

sorry, I read this thread as about the cost per kilometre of running this factory car on different fuels. So I just thought it was logical that 91 would also be tested given that holden has spent many hours and much $$$ to ensure it does run on 91. But what would they know, they just made the thing and did a million kilometers of testing.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
sorry, I read this thread as about the cost per kilometre of running this factory car on different fuels. So I just thought it was logical that 91 would also be tested given that holden has spent many hours and much $$$ to ensure it does run on 91. But what would they know, they just made the thing and did a million kilometers of testing.

I doubt they would have tested their new Gen 4 V8's on 91 octane fuel.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
It's a performance motor so 98 would be the most recommended.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt they would have tested their new Gen 4 V8's on 91 octane fuel.

Thankyou for your advice. How foolish of me to even think that holden would have ever put 91 into a gen4 to see what would happen. After all, once the engineers have ticked off on the drink holders you probably do not have much of the development budget remaining to really test anything else.

Do you think it worthwhile contacting holden to tell them that 91 octane is sold in Australia? I mean so they can test the cars they are developing now that they want to sell in the future.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
....Do you think it worthwhile contacting holden to tell them that 91 octane is sold in Australia? ....

Not in NSW anymore its not, and if the car manufacturers and oil co's get their way, nor will it be anywhere else in Australia soon.