Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel filler/sender issues

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hi all

I have a VX V6 and have a couple of woes with it when it comes to fuel. Firstly, I think the fuel sender is misreading the amount of fuel... it drops to zero very (300km after filling) then I can easily drive another 100km after that with no issues (haven't pushed it to empty). After that I can put about 60-65L of fuel in it so I assume there's still another 10-15L sitting in the bottom. So I think I'll be getting a new sender, dropping the tank and installing that. I guess what I should do is get a siphon and jerry can, pop it down the filler and see how much I get out of the tank when it's that low.

Other issue is it fills up like rubbish. If I fill it til it clicks and drive off, the fuel gauge only registers 3/4 full. If I stand there trying to fill it, letting it click over and over again for about 5 mins then eventually I can get the gauge to read full. Now... either I'm over-filling the tank and the dodgey reader is making it impossible to know how much fuel is in it, or there is something wrong when I'm filling it and so it actually takes this much effort to fill it.

I've heard somewhere that filling past the first click risks fuel finding its way into the charcoal canister next to the fuel filter and that once that's happened, it needs to be replaced. Is this true? And could the charcoal canister actually create these issues filling the fuel tank? The breather hoses etc all look fine when I pull the wheel arch guard out the way, nothing obviously twisted or cracked, so I'm at a loss as to why it's not filling smoothly.

I really wanted to attack this in one hit but I feel like maybe I'll have to replace the fuel sender unit initially, see how it looks after filling the tank to the first click after, and if still issues, then start replacing other stuff like maybe the canister? Although that thing looks sucky to get the hoses/connectors off. Don't want to be dropping the tank twice if I can help it.

Thanks for any advice!