Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Filter can save you MONEY!!!

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all...Just an update on my fuel economy. It seems i've been bettering my economy ever since i had replaced my fuel filter. When i first started with trying to improve my economy i was averaging around high 16L's per 100kms...Did service on engine and tranny, cleaned iac valve and throttle body, changed plugs, leads, filters (apart from fuel filter), had fuel lines and tank checked for leaks, o2 sensors and knock sensors replaced. Still no improvement. I recently had the fuel filter replaced and i noticed the difference straight away. Car became lots more responsive. In recent weeks, i've been getting:
14.9L/100kms (322.75kms from 48.23L),
14.6L/100kms (331.4kms from 48.31L),
12.3L/100kms (389.6kms from 47.86L),
12.2L/100kms (417.85kms from 51.17L),
11.8L/100kms (401.85kms from 47.32L)
The last 3 recordings have been going from GlenWaverley to Preston and back every day (Monday to Friday), now for those of you who know Melbourne, it's basically 30 mins on main roads (in quite heavy traffic conditions) and 10 mins on the freeway. Its the first week back to normal everyday city driving this week...and so far we're travelling pretty good, i'm estimating roughly 380kms out of this tank again so figures to hover between 12L and 14L/100kms, but i will post up official figures when i fill up next. So guys when looking at your economy and wondering "JESUS IT'S SHIITHOUSE" change your fuel filter for the sakes of $8. In the long run it will save you hundreds! I'm still not exactly happy with it all, and the next on my hit list will be injectors and possibly better oil because i do have a slight ticking noise first thing on a cold morning for about 30 seconds, and then it stops (i'm thinking it could be the lifters getting sticky?!?!?!? Correct me if i'm wrong though!?). Anyways all, good luck with the ever continuing issue of economy! But yes i do recommend replacing fuel filter as a starting point, could be a very very very cheap fix...Don't expect results straight away though, it takes a good few tanks before it's noticeable because chances are, the engine has been contaminated with such dirty fuel from the bad fuel filter not doing its job, that it's going to take a while to burn this fuel out of the system. When it is all out though, you'll be laughing and happy as all hell.

Will keep you updated bout this week's economy. Will post either Saturday or Sunday.

Cheers, all,
Boojakz.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ive been getting about 16L per 100km too, and i have been meaning to replace my fuel filter. i have a new one sitting on my desk for the last month. i think youve just given me a reason to do it now

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i might ask my mechanic about this.. might get it done

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
what exactly are fuel filters? are they like a peice of paper...or something bigger and better :p only $8?? How long do they usually last before needing replacing??

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
here you go. theres a paper filter inside it i believe

DSC00258.jpg

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
Is your car stock or have you any other mods? I had a VSII Acclaim Wagon, had CAI, Hi-Flow cat 2.5 inc, 2.5 inc exhaust all the way, chipped and I can only get about 550km max out of a 68 litre tank, 8.08km/litre, city driving. On the highway I sould get more than 10km/litre. Dam!!! you're got a very effient VS, not got a 87 VL working on it's fuel economy, I get about 470km from a 63 litre tank.

Howdy all...Just an update on my fuel economy. It seems i've been bettering my economy ever since i had replaced my fuel filter. When i first started with trying to improve my economy i was averaging around high 16L's per 100kms...Did service on engine and tranny, cleaned iac valve and throttle body, changed plugs, leads, filters (apart from fuel filter), had fuel lines and tank checked for leaks, o2 sensors and knock sensors replaced. Still no improvement. I recently had the fuel filter replaced and i noticed the difference straight away. Car became lots more responsive. In recent weeks, i've been getting:
14.9L/100kms (322.75kms from 48.23L),
14.6L/100kms (331.4kms from 48.31L),
12.3L/100kms (389.6kms from 47.86L),
12.2L/100kms (417.85kms from 51.17L),
11.8L/100kms (401.85kms from 47.32L)
The last 3 recordings have been going from GlenWaverley to Preston and back every day (Monday to Friday), now for those of you who know Melbourne, it's basically 30 mins on main roads (in quite heavy traffic conditions) and 10 mins on the freeway. Its the first week back to normal everyday city driving this week...and so far we're travelling pretty good, i'm estimating roughly 380kms out of this tank again so figures to hover between 12L and 14L/100kms, but i will post up official figures when i fill up next. So guys when looking at your economy and wondering "JESUS IT'S SHIITHOUSE" change your fuel filter for the sakes of $8. In the long run it will save you hundreds! I'm still not exactly happy with it all, and the next on my hit list will be injectors and possibly better oil because i do have a slight ticking noise first thing on a cold morning for about 30 seconds, and then it stops (i'm thinking it could be the lifters getting sticky?!?!?!? Correct me if i'm wrong though!?). Anyways all, good luck with the ever continuing issue of economy! But yes i do recommend replacing fuel filter as a starting point, could be a very very very cheap fix...Don't expect results straight away though, it takes a good few tanks before it's noticeable because chances are, the engine has been contaminated with such dirty fuel from the bad fuel filter not doing its job, that it's going to take a while to burn this fuel out of the system. When it is all out though, you'll be laughing and happy as all hell.

Will keep you updated bout this week's economy. Will post either Saturday or Sunday.

Cheers, all,
Boojakz.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd suggest doing the fuel filter once a year, or every second oil change. i'd always do it when i changed my air filter but seeing as i have run K&N filters for years that doesn't really work for me. you really do notice the difference when you have nice clean filter but even regular oil changes/oil filters makes an improvement. also using an engine flush before an oil change helps keep the sludge buildup down.:thumbsup: happy motoring:yeah:

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
I changed my fuel filter on sunday. Drove out to Morabbin airport from macleod (1hr drive) for the stude club day with my dad, it got a lowest reading of about 12.5 constant while hovering around 70-80k's which i spose isnt too bad, but its overall average would be around 13.2 inc. suburban driving. Topper her up with 50L of BP ultimate (had 1/8th tank of bp ultimate beforehand). Read about 13.5 all the way home. Which i guess is fair. But then when it comes to driving to work (5 mins each way) every day ill be allways hovering 16.0. Ive been reccommended by a mechanic to get my injectors reco'd but ive cleaned sensors/tb everything else... would a injector clean really give a 2-3L/100k benefit? Ive no idea on the condition of my tranny/diff if that helps :/

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
i was up around 18 - 19litres per 100kms in my 5.0litre, during my last full service i told them to do a carbon clean, after i picked up my car i was getting around 14 - 15 litres per 100kms. I have since changed my fuel filter and also started using BP Ultimate and im getting 12 - 14 litres per 100kms depending on how i drive, and im pretty easy on the throttle, hardly do over 2,200rpm, only when over taking or i wanna hear my 5.0litre roar :)