Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel filter

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm looking at changing the fuel filter in my vz sv6 myself but not really sure where to start. I know where it's located but as for changing it over and exactly how to go about it, im unsure of. I presume a fuel filter from holden would be best, take it it wouldn't cost more than $20.

Any advice or tips for me would be greatly appreciated... cheers

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
first of all wear safety glasses (or goggles), petrol in the eyes is only funny when it happens to someone else,

basicly the fuel filter is only held in by two hose clamps, very simple to remove with a screw driver,

also you "should" start the car and then remove fuel pump relay or fuse(there labled in the engine bay), and wait till the car stalls, this removes the fuel from the fuel line so you dont get as much of the floor/on you, but if your lazy like me you dont really need it, you will just get a little bit more fuel come out, but still not much

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
first of all wear safety glasses (or goggles), petrol in the eyes is only funny when it happens to someone else,

basicly the fuel filter is only held in by two hose clamps, very simple to remove with a screw driver,

also you "should" start the car and then remove fuel pump relay or fuse(there labled in the engine bay), and wait till the car stalls, this removes the fuel from the fuel line so you dont get as much of the floor/on you, but if your lazy like me you dont really need it, you will just get a little bit more fuel come out, but still not much

close, but they dont use hose clamps on these they have a clip on fitting, do as you first said and stall the engine by removing the f/pump relay,

once the pressure is released, find the light blue plastic clip, there will be 4 sides to it, there will be 2 with ripples and 2 that sit lower into the fittings - these are the one's to release the filter,

now push the filter into the fitting further and push the two little clips in with your fingers and pull back hard on the filter - it should release, it takes a little practice to do it and may take a little while if its your first go.

if you start your car up and get a check engine warning, disconnect the battery for a few minutes, this has only been set because of removing the relay, but in saying that, some cars do it, most dont.

the genuine filter has its advantages, you know it'll fit, ive found aftermarket ones a little dicey, and genuine comes with a replacement holder, aftermarkets dont

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm looking at changing the fuel filter in my vz sv6 myself but not really sure where to start. I know where it's located but as for changing it over and exactly how to go about it, im unsure of. I presume a fuel filter from holden would be best, take it it wouldn't cost more than $20.

Any advice or tips for me would be greatly appreciated... cheers

Supercheap have a sale on Ryco filters this week
Fuel filter is only$11-95
Air filters are $12-95.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Appreciate it guys :thumbsup:

Might attempt it on the weekend

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
close, but they dont use hose clamps on these they have a clip on fitting, do as you first said and stall the engine by removing the f/pump relay,

once the pressure is released, find the light blue plastic clip, there will be 4 sides to it, there will be 2 with ripples and 2 that sit lower into the fittings - these are the one's to release the filter,

now push the filter into the fitting further and push the two little clips in with your fingers and pull back hard on the filter - it should release, it takes a little practice to do it and may take a little while if its your first go.

if you start your car up and get a check engine warning, disconnect the battery for a few minutes, this has only been set because of removing the relay, but in saying that, some cars do it, most dont.

the genuine filter has its advantages, you know it'll fit, ive found aftermarket ones a little dicey, and genuine comes with a replacement holder, aftermarkets dont

ah k when did they switch to that style????

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
Mate i have given my fuel filter a few goes with no glory... I spent half an hr under there trying to get those darn clips off... Anyone got any pics to show the bits that andyman is describing that we need to push on to get the clips to release????

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
outline1.jpg

outline2.jpg

tool1.jpg

tool2.jpg

P1040337.jpg