Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'fuel gage error' displayed, ute wont start

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

General Lee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 2005 VZ S Holden Ute from an auction house, it has been sitting around for some time as they usually do so ran out of fuel as well as battery.
I put 17 litres of fuel in it and a jump start but no luck so far but lights work.
It displays 'FUEL GAGE ERROR CONTACT DEALER' on the dash.

Please help if you have any suggestions of what I can try next.

Mick

Just wondering how you got on with this Mick?

Ive got a VZ here at the moment thats done the same thing. Had fuel in it and running fine.
Jumped in the next morning and wont turn over, and displaying fuel gauge error.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i had this problem once, found that the fuel pick up wasnt getting any fuel.. it was parked on an incline with hardlyu any fuel in it, i put fuel in it (30 litres) tried starting it same error, left it for a while, tried, same thing removed the relay for the started motor (i think, it was a long time ago..) as it turns out i bypassed the relay and got it ticking over enough for the fuel pickup to do its job properly and left the car idling..

Also be aware i am led to belive it may be a problem with your key not sending the right signal to the ECU, so check that out..

i have never had the problem since, but let us know..

General Lee

Reaction score
Thanks impulsive.

It is parked on a slight incline, but i figured if it thought it was out of fuel it would say so, rather than tell me fuel gauge error.

I'll go try the way you got yours going this arvo... Fingers crossed!

General Lee

Reaction score
All sorted now, and many thanks to impulsive for your suggestions, and to bigdaddycool for showing me the fix.

Its just a computer glitch of some sort i spose.

Anyways, rip out the starter relay, turn key on, bridge terminals 30 and 87 (not 30 and 86 as mentioned in another thread, 86 is part of the switch), car fires up, whack relay back in and all is good.
Guage comes good, and car fires up afterwards using the key as normal.

Cheers.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
this isn't actually a fix Sam, all it does it temporarily get you going........... your car may/may not do this again.

It's just a way of getting it going.... you'll probably find this will happen again down the track, hence why we are looking what the 'real' cause of this issue is.

Once either me and my dad or someone else finds the actual problem we'll post it up.

But yea, the starter relay gets u going............. it's a handy thing to know incase one day it doesn't start n ur stuck somewhere.......... :D

** Either way still gotta get to the bottom of the true problem that causes this.

General Lee

Reaction score
I realise this hasnt solved the cause of the problem, and it is likely to do it again, but it got the damn thing out of my driveway!

Good luck with your search for the culprit... If i find out any more about it i'll post in here.