Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'fuel gage error' displayed, ute wont start

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Got a feeling it's something to do with the starter relay..... dispite replacing it, on the ECU if theres an issue it activates the immobiliser....... so i've disabled the function, we unfortunately have to wait 3-4 days to test this theory as it takes a few days for our 05 VZ to 'not start' again. If we start it everyday it starts........ so i'll let you know towards the weekend if it starts.

If it does, it means really the only way to fix it is to disable the Start Relay registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) in the ECU. For that you need VCM Suite or some other tuning software that allows it.

If this turns out to be the case, you'd have to take it to a tuner and get them to switch this off..... no idea what they'd charge but we'll see how we go....... hopefully this is the cause, it's the final thing we can think off in the computer that could be doing it.

We've changed the relay, but who knows......... alot of older commodores have this issue, so it seems like something as vague as this.

General Lee

Reaction score
^^Fingers crossed...

It sounds like you've been through pretty much everything anyway, but if it helps eliminate anything i drove the car into the shed yesterday, left it unlocked all day and it wouldnt start later on. I cant remember if i left the keys in the ignition or not, but i didnt lock it.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Well our 05 VZ started today after 3 days of sitting around........... it would seem the most likely cause is the starter relay.

We replaced ours, but it didn't fix it....... you could guarentee it would never start after 3 days of sitting around and today it did after I disabled the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) which sets off the immobiliser and gives the fuel guage message etc.

God only knows why, but I'd say the electricals play up for them after a few years in certain commodores. Maybe a solinoid, the start, wiring, earthing who knows......... either way it causes an issue which immobilises the car.

So......... until I see otherwise.

Fuel Guage Error = Starter Relay fault.
FIX: Find it....... or disable the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) fault in the ECU.

VCM Suite > Engine Diag > DTC's......... Look down the list you'll find it.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
PS. To explain.

The Starter Relay registers a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related), which immobilises the car which cuts fuel. This is what produces the Fuel Guage Error that most mistake for the Fuel Sender playing up etc and needing to be 'recalibrated'.

General Lee

Reaction score
Great work bigdaddycool!! Good on you for taking the time and effort to sort it out, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Time for me to get on the phone to try and find a tuner... I'll post in here with how it goes in mine when i get it done.

blowback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S V6
Well our 05 VZ started today after 3 days of sitting around........... it would seem the most likely cause is the starter relay.

We replaced ours, but it didn't fix it....... you could guarentee it would never start after 3 days of sitting around and today it did after I disabled the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) which sets off the immobiliser and gives the fuel guage message etc.

God only knows why, but I'd say the electricals play up for them after a few years in certain commodores. Maybe a solinoid, the start, wiring, earthing who knows......... either way it causes an issue which immobilises the car.

So......... until I see otherwise.

Fuel Guage Error = Starter Relay fault.
FIX: Find it....... or disable the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) fault in the ECU.

VCM Suite > Engine Diag > DTC's......... Look down the list you'll find it.

It's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread so I was wondering if there had been anymore developments.

I've got a VZ crewman with an identical problem. It had been unused for more than a month prior to this fuel gauge error issue - which prevents the engine from cranking. So far I've used the relay bridging trick to get around this so a big thumbs up for sharing this great tip.

I've just had my local Holden Dealer tell me it is going to cost $1500 to replace the ECU which is what they believe is the cause of this fuel gauge error/no engine cranking. Fortunately, I had already discovered this forum discussion so told them I'd be back at a more appropriate time. Actually, they looked surprised when I said I'd drive the ute back home even though they said it wouldn't start. Mind you they did manage to weazil $150 bucks out of me for the exercise.

Now I don't mind having the repair done, but I'm not 100% sure it's going to fix things. That's why I thought I'd see if anyone had anymore experience in overcoming this problem.

It's amazing that my first car was an EH in which I always carried a length of fencing wire around for those emergency repairs i'e if the muffler came loose or something fell off that needed securing. Now I'm driving a VZ crewman around with a length of electrical wire hanging from the rear view mirror just incase. Some things never really change.

biscuits

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I had this problem and started it with the bridging technique. Now i have a 'check powertrain' message. I have previously had this before, and i think it was due to a dodgy o2 sensor. It's only been a week since i last had the car running properly, so do you think the powertrain error is somewhat related, or just a coincidence?

swpcsupport

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ commodore
Body Control module

Hi,
When I first bought my executive 04 vz it had that same error on the dash.
I went through all the things you did and they ended up sending my computer away finding the problem was in the body control module. which had to be repaired.
the bill was around $1000 in the end.

Revival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Had a problem starting my VZ. Engine wouldn't turn over. Cycled gear shift from P to 1 a couple of times and it started and the computer then started giving me a low fuel warning, even though tank was near full. Next morning started Ok, digital distance to go was showing 14,000km. Since then it has shown 20km to go, and hasn't changed. Analog gauge working just fine. Car runs fine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance