Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'fuel gage error' displayed, ute wont start

Andygee1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Commodore VZ
I own a 2004 VZ Commodore and recently have been having communication problems with the ecu. I have never had any ecu problems before until one day, I parked on a incline and had very little fuel in the tank. Since then, Some days the car will start but on other occasions the following faults will occure even with a full tank of fuel: 1; Car wont start, 2; very low fuel error, 3; fuel guage error, 4; contact dealer error. I belive this is a design fault and was wishing if you have encountered similar problems with this model or possibly point me in the right direction to rectify this issue.

Regards
Andrew

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
So I found this today and in the hope that I can help someone i will post what I've found. I've been reading up on all of these ECU faults. Mine hasn't started for about 2 months when it first started with the Very low fuel error... Anyway i tried a couple of things and it would start intermittently but as mentioned I haven't tried to give it a crack for about a month. It wouldn't start or even attempt to crank over. So after reading something about them getting moisture etc, I decided I'd just give it a crack.
I grabbed my mapp gas bottle and gently applied heat to the edge of the mounting frame of the ecu only for a few seconds , just enough to lift the temp of the metal, turned it on and started first go. Then I turned it off and left it for a minute and tried again. It didn't start and as I felt the housing it was cold. So I tried again and heated up the frame of the ecu as per before and it started first crank. I let it run for a while and it restarted again.
So after this I'm pretty certain that I have an issue with the ECU and a crook connection within. Any ideas where I can get one fixed? I'm in Toowoomba Queensland.
PS I suspect that this also will make it run a bit rough?!

kaos kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6

Last edited:

Pricey88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hi Everyone. I've got a VZ 3.6L Berlina with the same issue.

One day stopped working. Fuel gauge error. Call Dealership. Blah. Only mine also has an ABS fault and now Traction control is off with "TRAC OFF" on the dash.

Quick Fix:

To anyone who needs a quick fix to get the car started watch this YouTube video. You'll need a something conductive to bridge relay connections. Video here:

Permanent Fix:
BigDaddyCool writes the following earlier (shortened by me):
You could guarentee it would never start after 3 days of sitting around and today it did after I disabled the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) which sets off the immobiliser and gives the fuel guage message etc.

Fuel Guage Error = Starter Relay fault.
FIX: Find it....... or disable the Starter Relay from registering a Driveability Fault (non-emissions related) fault in the ECU.

VCM Suite > Engine Diag > DTC's......... Look down the list you'll find it.

So my understanding is the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and BCM (Body Control Module) experience errors for an unknown reason causing this fault. It is commonly misdiagnosed as an issue with the ECU/BCM/Ignition/Starter Relay.

Speaking with my mechanic today, he said he's seen this issue a lot. He said the only solution is to send the ECU & BCM away to Injectronics (link) to be reprogrammed.

I've just sent Injectronics an email to get an idea of cost and time for the job.

Apparently you can't just swap out the ECU as (link to thread here):
(You're) better off getting a ecm standalone and taking it to holden and get them to fit it and reprogram it to suit your car,

with VZ's and newer you cant just swap out some modules and not others, they are all linked via the "vats" link, which means they are all coded together via the can-bus sytem and all the codes have to match

Question:
Can I access the VCM suite without a PC-to-Commodore interface? i.e. Through the dash? OR if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

I'll provide an update from Injectronics when they get back to my email.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Pricey88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
So Injectronics have informed me that this is a common issue with the VZ. I have two options.

Option 1 - ECU Reprogrammed at Injectronics - Approx $550 + freight:
This option requires you to send ECM, body control module, powertrain interface module and key to Injectronics. They ID the error and reprogram the ECU, then make it talk to everything else.

Option 2 - Exchange ECU from Injectronics - Approx $400 + G-Sync Labour:
Get the replacement ECU from Injectronics, then take it to a mechanic with a G-Sync who can make the ECU talk to the BCM/PIM/Key.

Think I'll go with Option 1, sounds like less hassle and a guaranteed result. $550 isn't cheap though! I'd be curious exactly just how much work it actually it is to plug it in and change a few settings. If anyone has any experience or advice to save some money or DIY please chime in.

Dmack06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz sv6
this isn't actually a fix Sam, all it does it temporarily get you going........... your car may/may not do this again.

It's just a way of getting it going.... you'll probably find this will happen again down the track, hence why we are looking what the 'real' cause of this issue is.

Once either me and my dad or someone else finds the actual problem we'll post it up.

But yea, the starter relay gets u going............. it's a handy thing to know incase one day it doesn't start n ur stuck somewhere.......... :D

** Either way still gotta get to the bottom of the true problem that causes this.
Did you find out what the problem was in the end?

JezSFO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SS
I realise this hasnt solved the cause of the problem, and it is likely to do it again, but it got the damn thing out of my driveway!

Good luck with your search for the culprit... If i find out any more about it i'll post in here.
Hi y'all, these threads are a bit old, but wondering if you ever got to the source of the problem?
I have a VZ SS Ute 5.7 and runs fine then shuts down, "Fuel Gauage Error, Contact Dealer". I then have to turn ignition off, take key out, lock and then unlock car, key back in and then it starts. Will run for less than a minute and then same happens. And the fuel gauge then displays incorrectly.
I'll also noticed today that fuel pump and engine start relay start buzzing loudly. The sound goes away when it is running well.

The problem comes and goes!

JezSFO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SS
Did you find out what the problem was in the end?
Hi y'all, these threads are a bit old, but wondering if you ever got to the source of the problem?
I have a VZ SS Ute 5.7 and runs fine then shuts down, "Fuel Gauage Error, Contact Dealer". I then have to turn ignition off, take key out, lock and then unlock car, key back in and then it starts. Will run for less than a minute and then same happens. And the fuel gauge then displays incorrectly.
I'll also noticed today that fuel pump and engine start relay start buzzing loudly. The sound goes away when it is running well.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

General Lee hasn't been on since 2010 and Dmack since 2019....So unfortunately neither will answer your question which sucks