Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'fuel gage error' displayed, ute wont start

mickey007

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 2005 VZ S Holden Ute from an auction house, it has been sitting around for some time as they usually do so ran out of fuel as well as battery.
I put 17 litres of fuel in it and a jump start but no luck so far but lights work.
It displays 'FUEL GAGE ERROR CONTACT DEALER' on the dash.

Please help if you have any suggestions of what I can try next.

Mick

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Sounds like a trip to Holdens for a tech 2 program scan.

mickey007

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I put another 25 litres of petrol in the last 1 litre overflowed so the tank is full. I had a auto electrician come out and have a look, he checked for any codes there was none but he cleared the codes anyway, he then checked the start relay, he changed the start relay with a second hand one he had in his van and managed to get it started, it was running rough, like missing some cylinders or bad fuel or bad spark plugs. The fuel gauge was showing as full. I took it for a drive for 10 kilometers it running ok sometimes and sometimes it was running rough, it stalled once, as it stalled the temerated gauge went up high near the red, I restarted it and got it home. I parked it, ten minutes later I tried to start it again and again it does not turn over and the dash says "fuel gauge error contact dealer".

My apologies BANKS, I cannot hear anything, what do I listen out for?

Please help???

mickey007

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
ECU needs replacing??

I got the car towed to a mechanic, he reckons the ECU needs replacing. What are your thoughts on this? What made the ECU go in the first place? Will it need anything else after this?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hard to say what has gone wrong. Sounds like it has had an electrical melt down at some point - so it can be 1 bit or all the electrical bits - one after another. No way to tell. ECU is a good place to start.

The wreckers maybe your friend.. They may test a few things for you if they offer fitting service and have the parts in stock.

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
Could be that the old fuel just gummed up. When fuel sits for awhile it tends to gum up the fuel components. Could just need the fuel rail to sit in a bath for a while to get rid of the gum deposits.

It happened to me when I was just using LPG all the time, When it come time to use the fuel system the car did not run very well

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I got the car towed to a mechanic, he reckons the ECU needs replacing. What are your thoughts on this? What made the ECU go in the first place? Will it need anything else after this?

considering the the fuel guage isnt monitored by the ecm, id be wary of that,

has he tried getting any fault codes out of it with a scan tool?

mickey007

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Yes, he tried the fault codes, he even got another auto electrician to run the scan tool.
What do I do?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Yes, he tried the fault codes, he even got another auto electrician to run the scan tool.
What do I do?

hmm so the tank was bone dry?

how much is in the tank now do you think?