Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge all over the show

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
To be honest, it is a bit different to mine, but should be OK.

The sock should come up the side that the nozzles point at the top.

You will see when you go to stuff it in the cup.

You can turn the fuel pump in its housing, too, if need be.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
To be honest, it is a bit different to mine, but should be OK.

The sock should come up the side that the nozzles point at the top.

You will see when you go to stuff it in the cup.

You can turn the fuel pump in its housing, too, if need be.

Good evening mate. Spent the afternoon ripping it all apart. Some of those fuel connections are basterds.. had to channel inner piece to stop myself yanking and breaking. Anyway cars all apart going to finish off tomorrow. Ran into A problem however.... I can’t get the Toyota filter to sit in a suitable Position. The only way I can get it to fit is with the filter facing outwards as the plastic is in the way. Issue is the fuel pump needs to be turned 90 degrees anti clockwise. If I just try to turn to Fuel pump from the top the tube forces it to turn back to its original position. Question is how do I rotate the fuel pump? will post photo below

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Photo is of mine that won't fit. Other one is just some food for thought. Is it an advantage / requirement for fuel sock to point up and run along fuel pump.. What about the semi circle fuel sock just taking fuel from bottom. Just an idea.

Finally been thinking. The fuel pump is clipped into the assembly with the GM fuel sock. If the clips are no longer there the fuel pump is not being held in place right. Would this not lead to it dropping to the bottom of the swirl tank and squashing the fuel sock against causing kink and constriction.

Keen to know your thought weyb or anyone else with some input. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-14-21-09-21-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-14-21-09-21-40.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_2021-06-14-21-08-10-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-14-21-08-10-39.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 92

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You're nearly there. The long sock is the right one. It has some baffles in there look like a paddle pop, right? Yeah just rotate it and stuff it in there, clip the cup on. It sits right. You don't need the original GM clips. The clips at the top stop the pump pushing up.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Don't bust the reader while you're doing the stuffing. Careful of finger position.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Don't bust the reader while you're doing the stuffing. Careful of finger position.

To clarify, your saying just turn the pump to the position I need, stuff it all inside the swirl tank and once it’s in there it doesn’t matter if I tries to twist back around. My only concern is when the hosing Twist the pump housing back it will dislodge the filter. The only way it sits firm is in the particularly position.

yep has the grid like flexible plastic inside that gives it air. If I fold it that way it Folds just before the plastic and then plastic runs up.

Out of interest what would be The difference between the fuel sock along the bottom or a fuel filter running up.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah just stuff it in there and it should be right. The ones I use go on there tight as. There are a couple of options for twisting if you are worried yours will fall off from the tension.

First you can usually get the fuel line to turn where it attaches at the top of the assembly, where the nozzles are. Like it will spin on that attachment.

Like I say, I haven't had to do it before myself, but a bit of superglue would do the trick if you are worried about it falling off.

I reckon just stuff it in there and see first up, cause you're doing what I do.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
a problematic filter that constricts when it folds to fit inside the sender unit, meaning that the pump is always sucking fuel from only a tiny portion of it, and not the whole filter length. It makes the pump work incorrectly, and for whatever reason affects the fuel gauge reading.
Is this the reason VTs and VXs have notoriously unreliable fuel gauges too?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I don't know sorry, mate. I have only worked on VYs and VZs so far. Last Holden I owned before that was a HZ station wagon, years ago in Australia.

But if they got the same fuel sender unit, it sounds likely. I can tell you, it fixes it. The other guy getting into it is going to be stoked.

I would love to buy a VT or VX. There is an old guy at my work drives a green supercharged one I see every day. It is the finest car on the base, in my opinion. And we got a lot of nice Holdens. Such a great looking car.

Actually, I was admiring some out in the desert the other day where I found this little beauty VZ. There were some awesome cars just waiting for a tow home and a bit of love and attention.

Slide1.JPG

Ended up dragging a Trailblazer home instead ha ha. They are a nice car too. Got a Vortec motor, 6 or 8, totally awesome. I am a Trailblazer lover as well.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Wanna eat your brains. Still can't get it to fit. Really need my car back tommrow so going to have to put it all back in. Whats the difference in fuel strainers. Would any strainer work provided the inlet size is the same? how does size, micron level, angle of tube affect? I will put a few pics of others I have looked at and can get before tommorow? Any help would be great otherwise I'll have no choice but to smack the original back on. Thanks mate

Last edited: