Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge all over the show

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The float is the thing on the bit of wire. It floats on the fuel, and moves up and down as you add and use gas.

You see there are two hoses in the sender unit there? One comes from the fuel pump.

The other goes to the regulator valve.

That regulator valve, which is held in a white plastic housing, has got to be pulled off before you can get the swirl tank off. You won't disconnect the hose or pull the actual valve out of its housing. But the regulator valve and housing will be dangling on the hose free of the rest of the unit after you pull it out. You will see when you get to it. There is a white plastic locking clip you gotta pry open, then it just pulls out.

The swirl tank is the plastic cup at the bottom. The fuel pump and filter are sitting in a cup. Cup has gotta come off to get at them.

Some pictures here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-fuel-gauge-problem.6854/page-47#post-3113528

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I haven't read all the comments,
But they are serviceable, and you can clean the Variable Resistor that it uses.
Personally, I would prefer to re-use the existing Sender unit than get a replacement if its unavoidable,
Because you already know the car capabilities of fuel range,
and if you get a new sender unit, you will need to learn it all over again.

Last edited:

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Update. I picked up a broken unit off market place for 10 bucks. Thought I may aswell have a practice while waiting for the filter. A little bit of yelling at the regulator valve later I have got it all apart. Instructions were fantastic man easy enough.

More questions....

Found a spring on the floor afterwards. Have a feeling it came out when I pulled swirl tank off. Where did it come from?

New filter. So chuck out old one and join new filter by putting ring at bottom of Toyota filter onto pipe at bottom of fuel pump? Does it matter that it's not gonna be held in place very well? Is it worth trying to use the plastic clips from old one on the new one?

While I'm in there anything else I should do? Any tips of cleaning resistor?

I appreciate your help absolute legend. I'll try make a video or detailed pictures when I do it to help others. It will save you having to explain the next time someone like me comes a long. Thanks

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Success

Attachments

• IMG20210530221213.jpg
    IMG20210530221213.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 90

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Ah. springs. It comes out of one of the holes in the cup where those metal rods slot in. The idea is the spring keeps the swirl tank pressed to the bottom of the fuel tank, keeps the whole thing tight in there so fuel swishing around doesn't move or break it. Some sender units have one spring in just one of the holes. Some have two, one in each hole.

The ring pops so tight onto the pump when you put the new filter on, it will never come off. I don't think there is any way you can use the old clips with the new filter. If it doesn't fit tight, means there is more than one ring size, which I have never seen, and I have screwed you. All Toyota/universal ones I have bought have been the perfect fit.

I have never had to clean a reader. Maybe krusing will tell us how. First one I messed with I busted.They are so easy to break.

I put the pieces in a bowl to tidy up. My wife didn't notice them in there and served my dinner in it. It was like chewing on the biggest egg shell ever.

i see you have severed the pipe to the regulator in that one. You can buy a new pipe, but it has to be the special one. Nothing else works I ever tried. The trick is to carefully cut the old one off with a Stanley knife. Then you have to heat (but not blister) the end of the new one to get it on. It's not easy.

Maybe you could just superglue a joiner in there. Bit of aluminium or copper pipe. Superglue is petrol proof, because I got my old pipe super glued onto my new pump right now, and have been running for a year without the pressure popping it off.

I can see that old filter there is folded and constricting to the shithouse. Dud design.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You can't believe the picture the website was advertising to me as I was writing this. A Toyota fuel pump with that filter on it. I may have said too much.

1622400448619.png

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
The one I have taken apart is a broken one I got online for 10 bucks. Just as a practice so not worried about regulator pipe, was already bugger. Thanks anyway

Great feel ready to do it now. Just waiting on the filter. Will update in a few weeks when I do it on my car

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
I went to my local Toyota parts dealer. They said they had this for 98 Hilux i think. Would it be suitable?

Parts in questions are two highlighted
Screenshot (14).png
ones

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I reckon that's it. But take your spare filter down there and compare the hole diameter just in case.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Just picked up the filter today. Seems to be the right one. Doesn't fit crazy tight but reasonably tight. Will finally get to do at long last next week. Just confirming this looks right and this is right way to stick it on

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-24-20-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-24-20-54.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-24-17-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-24-17-21.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 72