Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel gauge not working (VR)

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon V6 Manual
just bought a VR Executive Wagon today, put some fuel in the tank and after about 15min of driving around the fuel gauge still says 'EMPTY', this is pretty annoying and a little concerning as i'm not able to tell how much fuel i have. is this a common problem? i read on these forums that the VN has a problem like this, and seeing as mine is a series 1 VR could the problem still be present?

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
Ive got a VR with the same problem - just give the dash a whack.

Usually my fuel guage is ok - the temp guage sticks regularly. There is a thread in the VN forum on how to fix it - dont know if anyone can confirm this works on a VR?

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
common problem in these models

bang the dash, or pull it all apart and resolder the dry joint on the back of the gauge

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon V6 Manual
went outside and gave it a whack, got 3/4 tank of fuel. probably do the resolder on the weekend

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
lol - yeah Im just going to keep whacking!! Perhaps when I crack the dash I'll get the energy up for a resolder

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
yeah mines abit like that, it moves over time but a light hit brings it stright to where it should be

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Sometimes it's not a dry solder joint, but the needle sticking to the little rest-bar at empty. I used a bit of nail varnish on mine (as per another thread's suggestion) and my whacking days were over (you know what I mean...)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
It doesnt sound like a bad solder joint. Much more likely to be a sticky gauge. Pull the instrument cluster out (do a search for a how-to if you dont know how) and spray with a tiny bit of wd-40. Move it around. Should be all that it needs.

spenca

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
I had the same problem with my vr ss and would tap the dash and it would start working. When i started driving today the fuel light came on, as i new i was low on fuel i filled up to the brim and still reads empty and fuel light stays on.
is the light on because the guage is on empty or is it the fuel sensor?

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I had this happen and it was the float on the sender arm coming off. Got another float and arm from a wreckers and fitted it. Word of warning though, the sedan and wagon float arms are different and the wagon one gets stuck on the pipe to the pump in a sedan.