Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge wrong?

53x.m461k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hey guys.

Today when I filled up my 2003 Lumina, the fuel gauge stayed down in the empty, and the alert was on the screen. I have driven the car a few more times today, and every time it has gradually shown more fuel in the tank, basically in 1qr increments. It now shows its 3/4 full, but I know it should be almost 100%. Any ideas what could be wrong?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi,

I had this same issue in my VY II S. Funnily enough, the issue disappeared with the next tank. If you do a search on here, you'll find that many people have the same/similar issue. Although, unfortunately, a lot of those who reported similar symptoms had to end up getting their fuel sender unit replaced.
I'd suggest waiting it out to see how the next tank behaves.

53x.m461k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
alright thanks. I did a bit of a search, but I couldn't find anything about this problem.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
just a quick question but wouldnt it be 2002 lumina because there are no 2003 ones

53x.m461k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
??? I checked the plate, FEB03 buit.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
sorry about that mate got the wrong date your right :) how are you finding it what state do u live in got any pics?

53x.m461k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Ahh thats ok. Had me a bit confused there for a bit. No pics, haven't done anything to it though, it's dads old car, I got it from him when he got a VE Calais. I just bought a 6 stacker to swap with single disc that is there now.

Fuel gauge seems to be working how it should atm, I'll keep checking it though

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I had this problem a few days ago in my Berlina after I unplugged the battery in attempt to change it then realising that the replacement was the wrong one. :bang: Stupid book lied to me.

Anyway, for the first 3 start ups it kept reading 0kms to empty but then a bit after that it started to read at maybe 1/8 and 55kms to empty. Should I just let it sort itself out or make a point at it's next service (75000). Surely the fuel sender isn't that old.