Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Fuel Guage backwards on a VZ ls1 conversion

reggie90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ One Tonner 5.7 LS1
Hey guys and girls,

Any help here would be greatly appreciated I have recently with the help of a very good mate and good mechanic done a ls1 conversion into my vz one tonner (previously a v6). Everything is great other than a few small things that will be able to be fixed easily enough (cruise comes on but doesn't set or reset, abs light and traction control lights) but the big issue I am having is the fuel guage works backwards so when the tank is ful it sits on empty but runs out at 3/4 of a tank. If it went all the way to the top would not be so much of a problem.

The fuel sender unit is the only part left from the v6 as the hole in the top of the tank for the fuel sender unit was not bit enough for the v8 fuel sender unit.

Is there a problem with the fuel sender unit or possibly the dash cluster???

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'd say if you modify the V8 mount of the sender unit to match the tank "some how" the gauge issue will solve it's self.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Different fuel senders unfortunately. Pretty sure the V6 one is also a lower flow rate than the V8 so you might have some starvation issues up high in the rev / load range.

reggie90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ One Tonner 5.7 LS1
Ok I might have to have a look at trying to get the v8 one to fit just the top where it goes into the tank looks like its way to big for the opening but I will have a look when I get a chance to pull the tray off again.

anarklov3r I drove it from Adelaide to ceduna and back 1600 kms also tested it out had to 160 and didn't seem to staved of fuel just wanted to keep going at 120km/h fuel average was 12.1/100 and at 100km/h fuel average was 10.1/100

reggie90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ One Tonner 5.7 LS1
or does anyone know if a v8 fuel sender unit will fit into the vz fuel tank opening???

Cheers

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
No idea, but surely it would be easy enough to just buy a V8 fuel tank and pump from a wrecked ute? There seems to be heaps going around these days, and arent very common to be actually sold, so you should be able to get them cheap. Most wreckers throw tanks and pumps away.

reggie90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ One Tonner 5.7 LS1
Problem solved bought a vy ls1 1 tonner fuel sender unit new only $350 bucks, works perfectly and it spot on accurate with tank level to gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk