Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FUEL Guage Error

Paloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman X6
Hi

I have a 2005 VZ Cross6 Crewman. 225k done.
Won't start showing
  • Very low fuel
  • Service vehicle soon
  • Fuel gauge error contact dealer.
I assumed ECU fault and my mechanic said the ECU doesn't show up on their scan tool.

Should I be doing any other troubleshooting prior to buying a used/new ECU?

Any recommendations for mechanic or auto electrician would be appreciated. (In North West Tasmania)

Cheers

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Had this with my VZ and it was the ECU. One way you can try get it to start is to reset the ECU by disconnecting and reconnecting the earth wire. It screws into the chassis just below where the master cylinder bolts on. It is the middle bolt in this photo below.

So just unscrew it, seperate the earth from the chassis for a few seconds (maybe clean the earth site) and then reconnect it and it should start right when you turn the key afterwards. If this is the case, it's most likely that your ECU is cooked unfortunately...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190706-214200_2.png
    Screenshot_20190706-214200_2.png
    974.5 KB · Views: 161

Paloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman X6
Had this with my VZ and it was the ECU. One way you can try get it to start is to reset the ECU by disconnecting and reconnecting the earth wire. It screws into the chassis just below where the master cylinder bolts on. It is the middle bolt in this photo below.

So just unscrew it, seperate the earth from the chassis for a few seconds (maybe clean the earth site) and then reconnect it and it should start right when you turn the key afterwards. If this is the case, it's most likely that your ECU is cooked unfortunately...

Thanks. I did try that but no go. Auto electrician said ECU is fried. They put new ECU on and now the PIM won't accept. Their main techs are looking at the PIM but they have a backlog of work so I have to wait a week for the verdict. Will post the outcome.

bertreb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ, V6 commodore
Thanks. I did try that but no go. Auto electrician said ECU is fried. They put new ECU on and now the PIM won't accept. Their main techs are looking at the PIM but they have a backlog of work so I have to wait a week for the verdict. Will post the
Hi

I have a 2005 VZ Cross6 Crewman. 225k done.
Won't start showing
  • Very low fuel
  • Service vehicle soon
  • Fuel gauge error contact dealer.
I assumed ECU fault and my mechanic said the ECU doesn't show up on their scan tool.

Should I be doing any other troubleshooting prior to buying a used/new ECU?

Any recommendations for mechanic or auto electrician would be appreciated. (In North West Tasmania)

Cheers
i have the same problem with vz wagon, just happened few days ago, got stuck at shops, but finally started, drove home, now nothing. what was your solution?. any suggestions welcome. thanks

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Paloo

I am in the same position in relation to replacing my ECU. The ECU needs to be linked to the PIM. If you have the codes it whould be a faily straight forward proceedure. Says me who purchased a VCX Diad nano that can't see the modules and had a frineds Snapon Scan tool hard drive fail in the middle of the linking proceedure. I trust yours goes much smoother.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It might be possible the linking procedure was not done correctly and the PIM is just doing its job.

N O T E
Prior to resetting the ECM, obtain the Security Code and the BCM Security Number. This information is found on the vehicle security card issued with the vehicle when new.

• 1. Connect Tech 2 to the data link connector (DLC) and turn the ignition on.

• 2 On Tech 2 select Engine / Programming / Reset ECU.

*N O T E
When Tech 2 requests programming approval, obtain TIS approval.

•3 When Tech 2 displays Enter Security Code, enter the security code, press the Enter key and then the Okay soft key.

•4 When Tech 2 displays Turn Ignition on, press the Confirm soft key. After resetting the ECM, the ignition switch must be turned off for at least 10 seconds then turned on for at least sixty seconds, before commencing communications between TECH 2 and the ECM.

•5 When Tech 2 displays Reset Completed Successfully, press the Confirm soft key to return to the Tech 2
Programming screen.