Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel hose broken off in tank

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
G'Day, I have a problem with my VP Senator and looking for some advice, please.
My Senator would not start and I could not hear the fuel pump working so I took the tank out.
The tank had the two 3/16 lines broken completely off and I think this was the reason fuel ran out onto the servo driveway last time I completely filled the tank
When I moved it I could hear something rolling about inside. After removing the pump and float unit I removed a piece of fuel line that runs from the return line to the base of the tank. If this interior fuel line is broken will it stop the motor from starting or doesn't it matter? There is about an inch of fuel line left on the inside of the tank. The pump access hole is only 60mm so no access to the inside to replace hose. I do not really understand the workings inside the tank. Thanks Gaz.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
the return lines rot away and separate from the pot/sender.
usually noticeable to lose power on corning (roundabouts etc) where the fuel moves away from the pump

fix is to rig up a tool to pop the clip off the swirl pot and add new hose.
unfortunately most of the hose is sold in cut lengths so makes it a short length to work with

alternatively you can attach the return hose to the sender unit and this will drop it into the swirl pot when you refit. not a perfect fix, but one I have done many times and it serves me well.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
On the sedan you can put new hose on the ute you cannot believe me I tried for 3 hours once.

There must be a broken breather hose too for fuel to spill out.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The smaller lines on top are pollution lines going to filler neck or filter piece on neck.

Return line hose broken car will still run if fuel level is high enough will just stutter or stall if say accelerate with low fuel level or most common issue hit go pedal turning into street after already stopped...usually how people find out after soiling the daks & googling issue.

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
On the sedan you can put new hose on the ute you cannot believe me I tried for 3 hours once.

There must be a broken breather hose too for fuel to spill out.
I could not post pictures as I used to, perhaps because now I am classed as a new member after all this time LOL ???
The two hoses that are adjacent to the 16mm breather hose are missing no doubt this is where the fuel runs out when completely full. [GTRBoyy says these are pollution lines that should be there] Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Also the senator has an 80 litre tank as a standard size. yesterday I bought a meter of clear 5/16 Aeroflow in tank fuel hose cost $70.00 from Carby Center here in Crimesville but have been [hours now LOL]uncessful to get it onto the inlet for the pot in the bottom of the tank.
Cheers and thanks everyone.

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
the return lines rot away and separate from the pot/sender.
usually noticeable to lose power on corning (roundabouts etc) where the fuel moves away from the pump

fix is to rig up a tool to pop the clip off the swirl pot and add new hose.
unfortunately most of the hose is sold in cut lengths so makes it a short length to work with

alternatively you can attach the return hose to the sender unit and this will drop it into the swirl pot when you refit. not a perfect fix, but one I have done many times and it serves me well.

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Thanks Mate, I got the five pieces of broken hose out of the tank oK. Then I got the rotted hose and screw clips off the inside of the tank and the swirl pot valve using a round 5/16 steel rod flattened on the end and bent at approximately 90%. Both came off easy as the hose was disintegrated under the clips. Just wondering if this swirl pot valve may pull out to make it easier and afraid to try as made in 1992 it would be brittle for sure probably just snap off. I will keep trying to get this Aeroflow hose on the swirl pot valve otherwise I may have to do as you suggest and attach it to the pump and let it sit in the swirl pot from the top. Thanks again, cheers

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Thanks Mate, I got the five pieces of broken hose out of the tank oK. Then I got the rotted hose and screw clips off the inside of the tank and the swirl pot valve using a round 5/16 steel rod flattened on the end and bent at approximately 90%. Both came off easy as the hose was disintegrated under the clips. Just wondering if this swirl pot valve may pull out to make it easier and afraid to try as made in 1992 it would be brittle for sure probably just snap off. I will keep trying to get this Aeroflow hose on the swirl pot valve otherwise I may have to do as you suggest and attach it to the pump and let it sit in the swirl pot from the top. Thanks again, cheers

I have never been able to get my hand in their or get a tool to work on that stupid thing since I have little patience on these.

I end up doing the hose attached to the sender every time and dump it into the pot.

where did you get hose by the metre? I have found most places only stocking the gates/dayco short lengths of the fuel sub hose now.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Make sure hose is submersible fuel type otherwise you'll be doing job again sometime in future.

Other thing to check is dampener piece that connects fuel pump to fuel line on sender unit...they can deteriote or tear then leak fuel/lose fuel pressure.

Fcuk it replace fuel pump etc & all hoses whilst there so you won't have to the again lol.

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
I have never been able to get my hand in their or get a tool to work on that stupid thing since I have little patience on these.

I end up doing the hose attached to the sender every time and dump it into the pot.

where did you get hose by the metre? I have found most places only stocking the gates/dayco short lengths of the fuel sub hose now.
Cheers Mate, I got 1 meter pack of Aeroflow clear hose. On the label it says Aeroflow AF49-1060-1M, 5/16 BULKSAFE 12=2019, Bar code says 9 337206 122641 made in china.. www.aeroflowperformance.com
I bought it at the Carby center in Punari St, Townsville. Should be online somewhere.Having problem trying to get it on the swirl pot valve, used heat gun on low setting. Also tried oil. grease and petroleum jelly, no success so far , very trying for an old boy.