Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel hose broken off in tank

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Thanks MikeC, That is good information about the 30R10 should be handy to everyone on here.
Yes I also get Gates belts as it is good quality. Just fitted a gates water pump and radiator hoses to my old VS ute before I sold it.
cheers
It took hours but I finally got the valve out of the swirl tank and had to use quite a bit of force to lever it out. I put the hose on the valve but it broke in half trying to put it back in the swirl tank.
Took some pictures but they won't load says file is too big. Aust Post delivered the fuel filter so with some luck I may get the new fuel pump tomorrow.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi, If the pic file is too big then email it to yourself and that should reduce the size

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Wildfiremaint, Thanks that seems to be working, brilliant so easy. Cheers,
Pics of other tanks I looked at seem to have a different set up for the position of the return line.
Fuel swirl pot valve sitting on top of the tank.
Using an old roofing punch to stretch the submersible hose to make fitting on the valve easier.

Attachments

• senator fuel tank.jpg
    senator fuel tank.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 157
  • senator fuel tank 2.jpg
    senator fuel tank 2.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 148
  • senator fuel tank 3.jpg
    senator fuel tank 3.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 153
  • senator fuel tank 4.jpg
    senator fuel tank 4.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 144

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Early tank like vn-p era...basically same as efi vk-l with return line on left & bolt in sender unit except vn-p have removable filler neck & swirl pot.

Iirc earlier vn models had external fuel pump before finally went internal pumps

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
These are the hose sizes I bought for my fuel tank repair. Might be of a help to someone before they pull their tank out to cut down on off the road time. The Senator has only one internal fuel pump.

1.. The breather hose on my tank was 16mm inside diameter.
2.. The two hoses adjacent to the breather outlet were 3/16 inside diameter.
3.. Internal submersible tank hose is 5/16 inside diameter.
4.. Return hose to tank from hard fuel one is 5/16. Still can read 092591 KV-BR 5/16 GM6163-M on this hose. GM does not stock these nowdays.
5.. Hose that fits to pump hard line input on pump is 5/16 inside diameter
6.. Hoses each side of filter is 5/16 inside diameter
Best regards Gazza

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
I finally got this sorted on Saturday and noticed it was running smoother than just before it quit. I wasted a whole day messing about with the return vapour hose that sits beside the tank and continues to the filler neck. This is a 5/16 connection at the end of the steel return line but the connection at the filler neck is 3/16 for some reason. The original hose I removed had an orange/brown reducing spacer in the filler neck end of it but this was unusable as it was perished and fell apart on removal. So I had to source a fuel line joiner to join the 5/16 hose to the 3/16 hose. Just clamping the 5/16 hose onto the 3/16 piece on the filler neck was not holding very well and I am sure it would have come off at some inconvenient time.
I forgot to include this hose in my list of hose sizes in a previous post. Thanks for all your input blokes, much appreciated.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Depends on models some go filler neck others have plastic filter block thing attached to filler neck then hoses go to first then to tank or wherever

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Cheers mate, yep there are too many variations for sedans, utes, station wagons, statesman, and HRT HSV etc etc.
This is what I was fixing a Senator and this is from [ scan] is from the genuine VP and VQ series 2 volume 5 Service manual that I have.
Just happy the rotten job is complete.LOL.

Attachments

• Filler neck hoses on Senator.jpg
    Filler neck hoses on Senator.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 168
  • senator.jpg
    senator.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 133

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Looks like a clean example.Nice!!!

Yeah it's one of those jobs when get it all apart end up doing it all properly & replace everything possible to avoid doing it again lol