Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by jono67, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Really? I thought you have made reference to Melbourne in your posts before.

lmoengnr likes this.
  2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Hm, didn’t think so.
    But I’ve lived in most Aussie capitals, so maybe it was a post specific response and not related to my place of abode ;)

3. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    east coaster for sure

Skylarking likes this.
  4. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    You must like fishing :p

5. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    pro **** stirrer looking for a sponsor

6. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Not a sponsor but i'll put a word in for you ;)

7. Mayuri Krab

Mayuri Krab Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV Redline, R33 Skyline GTS-T
    I always let the stealer wash it, don't really care about the whole detailing/micro scratch thing. Consider it was already a scratch feast when I bought it.

Otherwise I'll just take it to the auto car wash once in a while.

As long as it's mechanically good, I don't care too much about paint, outside look of thing, kinda like how my 33 have faded and peeling off clear coat over the entire roof and bonnet lol

abuch47 likes this.
  8. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ That's normal behaviour for many.
    The OCD clean gene can get flushed from one's system, usually with the first reasonable scratch occuring.
    After that it's, meh not dirty enough to wash o_O

Oddly, the OCD clean geneis vehicle dependant and can remain in ones system, strong for their garage queen and CBF for the daily ;)

9. Richard Pendlebury

Richard Pendlebury New Member

Members Ride:
    2014 VF SS-V
    My 2014 SS-V has gone through 2 injectors and now looking like a 3 has crapped itself. Had the engine replaced by Holden after it dropped #2 cylinder. #1 injector went at the same time and would have thought new injectors would have been installed but seems like they didn't do that.

10. David Franklin

David Franklin New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SSV Sportwagon
    I have a dodgy no#6 on my 2015 VF2 SSV. Local dealership put in a PRA to Holden 3 weeks ago - They have authorised replacements of all 8. However ...... injectors are apparently on Backorder with a Jan 2020 eta. WTF!!. I've called Holden Customer Care and they said they've put me up the queue a bit (how much - time will tell).

11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ @David Franklin a three month delay in repairs when the vehicle presumably can’t be used is simply unacceptable. I’d ring your state consumer protection body and ask for some advice on how to approach this problem.

I’d expect Holden would say you can’t drive the car with failed injectors since driving it could cause engine damage. As such, any right minded person would consider a three month layup for what amounts to a product failure would be unacceptable. Under ACL, such unacceptable behaviour by the seller/manufacturer could raise the bar so the issue could be classified as a “major fault under ACL. A major fault under ACL provide that the purchaser can choose his remedy which includes full purchase price refund. The possibility of such an outcome may be just what Holden needs to fly in your injectors from the USA in a couple of days.

Oh, and if you have not been specifically advised by your dealer or Holden not to drive, check your owners handbook as I vaguely remember something about known faults causing consequential damage not being covered. So specifically ask the dealer and Holden whether it’s ok to drive with faulty injectors if they let you drive away and get it in writing should they say it’s ok, just so things are clear.

So don’t just accept dealer/Holden bullshit, discuss this with consumer protection and ACCC and arm yourself with some knowledge about your legal rights as a consumer.

12. salsmith06

salsmith06 New Member

Members Ride:
    2016 Caprice
    My car has been with the dealer for 5 weeks. They wont give me a courtesy car cause i am 2 month out of warranty and second owner.
    Holden is paying for the repair to replace all 8 injectors but the dealer wants to charge me Diagnostic fee of few hours? Is that normal for goodwill warranty work?

13. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    I wouldn't be paying diagnostic fee as the as the dealer should of known by the way the car was running and plugging in Tech2 that it wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Skylarking likes this.
  14. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    You should get your head around some of the provisions of Australian Consumer Law (ACL).

Basically a product that is sold by a business in Australia has a statutory warranty which cannot be excluded and which specifies the product must be fit for purpose, free of defects (defects documented prior to sale are ok?) and be of acceptable quality.

It’s also important to know that the ACL statutory warranty has no length defined within the legislation. Also important to understand that if a product fails in some way, the remedy depends on the fault classification. If a product fails in a way that can be classified as “major fault“ under ACL, the purchaser gets to choose their remedy (which can be repair, replacement of full purchase price refund). Reread this a paragraph couple of times and let it sink in.

Also, it’s important to know that ACL has no definition for “good will”. This is just some bullshite term that dealers or manufacturers use to make the unknowing purchaser feel better about solution they offer (which can be less than the law allows) is a “good deal”. It’s often not.

So, if you bought the vehicle from a dealer, and they stated you can’t drive the car with the faulty injectors, it can be argued that the fault is a major fault under ACL since you can’t use the car and you won’t be able to use it unlit the injectors are replaced. You should qualify for a full purchase price refund for this major fault.

So as mentioned to Dave, ring CAV and discuss the fault, how it is being handled by the dealer and/or manufacturer and whether this would be considered a major fault under ACL. Also how to then approach the dealer/manufacturer in getting a resolution (replacement, repair, refund) and what to do about of loss of use while it’s being sitting waiting repair (hire car, insurance, rego costs etc).

Don’t just sit and take a shafting thinking you are saving the cost of the injectors. Push back as the ACL give you lot of leverage you can apply.

15. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    Wow so much advice! Have you thought maybe the recent union issues in the USA have had some impact on the supply of the injectors? Maybe Holden cannot fly some injectors in because GM USA cannot get their hands on any from their supplier? While it would be a pain in the arse not having your car on the road, would you go to that much details trying to get a refund of your vehicle because of one small faulty part? What car would you buy to replace it? Sometime **** happens.

As for my injectors, mine will end up failing again and most likely after the warranty runs out. Hopefully a easy task to get Holden to replace them again hopefully with an upgraded part.

16. salsmith06

salsmith06 New Member

Members Ride:
    2016 Caprice

I spoke to CAV. Because i bought the car used last year, not much i can do Since Holden will fix it. I can only send them a letter asking holden/dealer for a time frame on the repair.

17. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Really, why would anyone be concerned at Holdens supply issue if the result is either they can't get to work becuase the car is off the road for an extended time (so they loose their job) or they have to spend lots of dollars hiring a car to be able to get to work (so they don't loose their job)?

Yeah, **** happens but why cut Holden any slack for a problem of their own making. Holden could simply contact a US dealer and order some injecters and have them flow over. Heck, maybe they can order from a 3rd party via the the net as many forum members do, they'd be here is less than a week. They are just being cheap.

Again, why cut Holdens any slack since it's a known failure waiting to happen and a supply mess of their own making. Rather than be proactive and plan for replacements via a recall with a well stock supply of parts in their warehouse, they play a slow game waiting for failures without the required stock to handle what they know is a big issue. And they've been caught short.

Yeah, **** happens but none of it is landing on Holden.

Just remember that Holden now seems to be following, in part, GM's lead. You know GM, the "ar sehats" that killed people with faulty ignition barrels then redesigned them using same part number to hide the issue. No surprise Holden dragged it's feet before finally having an EPS recall but as yet no recall for these faulty injectors. Yep, **** happens.

Yond likes this.
  18. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Did you discuss with CAV in the possibility of getting the issue resolved quickly via a 3rd party and then billing Holden for the repair (since this injector failure is a known problem but can't get to fix the car becasue of their supply issues)?

19. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    IIRC, there is also a requirement in the ACL that repairs / rectification are made in a timely manner.

Skylarking likes this.
  20. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yes as well, minor fault becoming major faults under ACL due to repairs not being done in a timely maner or multiple repair attempts for minor faults (but cant remember subtlties of wordin). And there is the potential under ACL to claim reasonable concequential losses.

Knowledge of ACL is a great tool to get recalcitrant retailers or manufacturers to pull their head in and follow the law.

VS 5.0 likes this.