Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So had the engine warning light come up and the service esp took it into holden and they said missfire on cylinder 1..luckily they had the new injectors in stock and getting them swapped out next week..they said it had something to do with the fuel passing through a plastic part in the injectors and deteriorating the plastic??? Dosent sound right to me but then again I'm not a mechanic..they also said the new injectors are boost compatable..once again not a mechanic so no idea what that means

Seems like an odd comment, fuel injectors should handle the fuel types they are designed for, if the plastic is failing than it's a design flaw or manufacturing fault.

As for the boost reference, either the injectors are a higher flow (in which case a re-tune would most likely be required) or higher pressure capacity but I'd rather think he's talking rubbish. When running boost you need to increase fuel pressure, if you don't you actually reduce the amount of fuel an injector can flow. I'm not sure what the LS3 factory fuel pressure was set at but as an example, a lot of common injectors are rated at 3 bar or 43 psi, that means there is a 43 psi differential between the inlet port and discharge nozzle in the injector, if you were to put that same injector in a blown motor that makes 43psi of boost pressure in the manifold you then end up in a situation where the boost pressure pushing back against the injector discharge nozzle is the same as the fuel pressure which means you have exactly 0 differential pressure across the injector which means you have 0 fuel flow. I know the LS1 motors ran a dead head fuel system (with the pressure reg at the tank) which is ok for a n/a motor but IMHO for a blown application a return style fuel system that is boost referenced 1:1 at the motor is much better as maintaining the correct fuel pressure differential across the injector is better and more consistent which makes tuning better/easier.

Billyt69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportswagon 6.2L
2015 VF2 SSV. I had an injector fail April 2018 & replaced by Castle Hill Holden, Under warranty. A few weeks ago another has failed.

Both times for months prior I noticed a small baulk/pause when accelerating, but it later progressed to a misfire.

Had it in for service anyway 3 weeks ago & was told all 8 injectors will need to be replaced, they will put in claim for replacement under goodwill (requires HO approval) not sure how long that takes. Advised to avoid driving as much as possible in the meantime) Still no call back & i called but couldnt get through to Service Dept on Monday, left a message but no one called back. (Castle Hill Holden again) i'll chase them up again tomorrow.

Myfirstv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Caprice V
Interesting.... my 2015 Caprice V has only done 60,000 and needed new injectors. I thought 8S were bomb proof. My dilemna is..... 400km after the injectors were done, I fill up with 98 high performance and it immediately started using enormous amounts of fuel...
I was towing a trailer for 230km and its avg use was around 13.5 l/km. As soon as I filled and drove off it skyrocketed to 19 l/km!
Half a tank to do 200km. What has happened? Is it dirty fuel or are the injectors faulty? Is it computer issues?
I can't emphasise enough that it was immediate!
The terrain was flatter than the first part of my 500km trip. The weather was calm. I cannot figure what happened and why immediately after my fill?
I have heard that Holden has a problem with injectors??? Is this the case?

GoatVR46

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore ssv redline series 1
Hi guys, I searched here and elsewhere but didn't find much if any information regarding this.

I have a May 2015 series 1 SSV, and had an injector fail back in June this year (got the 'flashing engine' warning light along with the 'service ESP' warning light, with the engine misfiring). Injector for cylinder #8 was tested by Holden dealer and found injector resistance to be too high. So I thought, well, a one off.

Last week I had another one go in the same fashion. The dealer spoke to Holden head office (as the car is out of warranty) about replacing the remaining 7, and to my surprise they are picking up the tab to replace them all. Apparently this same dealer had another VF in recently and he is up to injector number 5. I am however having to wait 2 to 3 weeks because injectors are on back order, made by Seimens and have to come from Germany??? (well, that's what they told me).

According to the dealer, it seems when my engine was built I must have had a "bad batch" of injectors installed onto it. So I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced injector failure, as there hasn't been any posts on here about it?

I don't know a lot about car electricals, so additionally I am wondering if it is what the dealer has told me and in fact correct and I just got a "bad batch", or could there be another issue with the engine causing the injectors to fail? The car has done 55 000km.
Bro i just had the same problem with my 2013 vf ssv redline. Turn the car on service esp pops up and got 2 code 1st fuel injector circuit / open cylinder 8 2nd cylinder 8 missfire

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Interesting.... my 2015 Caprice V has only done 60,000 and needed new injectors. I thought 8S were bomb proof. My dilemna is..... 400km after the injectors were done, I fill up with 98 high performance and it immediately started using enormous amounts of fuel...
I was towing a trailer for 230km and its avg use was around 13.5 l/km. As soon as I filled and drove off it skyrocketed to 19 l/km!
Half a tank to do 200km. What has happened? Is it dirty fuel or are the injectors faulty? Is it computer issues?
I can't emphasise enough that it was immediate!
The terrain was flatter than the first part of my 500km trip. The weather was calm. I cannot figure what happened and why immediately after my fill?
I have heard that Holden has a problem with injectors??? Is this the case?
So you had all the injectors replaced at 60 000km? If so, when was that?

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bro i just had the same problem with my 2013 vf ssv redline. Turn the car on service esp pops up and got 2 code 1st fuel injector circuit / open cylinder 8 2nd cylinder 8 missfire
Goat contact your local Holden dealer. Does not matter if way out of warranty, it's an issue with all VF's we are finding. They should be replacing all 8 injectors, at no cost to you. If they don't come to the party, ask them to contact Holden head office. Let us know how you get on.

Lowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline
Righto, thanks for replies fellas. Yeah, I would have thought that injectors should last longer than 50 odd 000 kms. I had a VX Berlina that had 150 000 on it when I sold it, never missed a beat. I'll be interested to hear of any others over the next few months to see if any more instances crop up (not that everyone who owns a VF SS comes here so there could be other cases already).
Bought a 2016 SS Redline 2 months ago. Went to go down the street this morning and the engine light came on. Took it to the local mechanic and low and behold cylinder #2 misfiring. Not very happy, its only got 51K on the clock also

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bought a 2016 SS Redline 2 months ago. Went to go down the street this morning and the engine light came on. Took it to the local mechanic and low and behold cylinder #2 misfiring. Not very happy, its only got 51K on the clock also
Mmmm, welcome Lowman. Getting a few new members to this forum with their first post being this issue. I would love to know how many cars Australia wide Holden have had to replace injectors for now. Having a recall has been discussed pages back, and although not necessarily a safety issue, it's an issue.

You have to think at some stage most VF's will experience this problem. Would it be too much for Holden to send out letters to those whom they have details for saying there is an issue with the injectors, if you experience a, b or c, please take your car to your nearest Holden dealer.......???

By the way Lowman, you should be taking your car to Holden, I hope you haven't forked out $ for you mechanic to replace the injector?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mmmm, welcome Lowman. Getting a few new members to this forum with their first post being this issue. I would love to know how many cars Australia wide Holden have had to replace injectors for now. Having a recall has been discussed pages back, and although not necessarily a safety issue, it's an issue.

You have to think at some stage most VF's will experience this problem. Would it be too much for Holden to send out letters to those whom they have details for saying there is an issue with the injectors, if you experience a, b or c, please take your car to your nearest Holden dealer.......???

By the way Lowman, you should be taking your car to Holden, I hope you haven't forked out $ for you mechanic to replace the injector?

Holden do a recall? you must be kidding. Check out the electrical steering failure thread and see how long it took Holden to initiate a recall for something that has major safety implications.

I totally agree that it should happen but I'd bet against it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden do a recall? you must be kidding. Check out the electrical steering failure thread and see how long it took Holden to initiate a recall for something that has major safety implications.

I totally agree that it should happen but I'd bet against it.
Oddly, within that electrical steering failure thread, the number of comments from enthusiasts commenting it was not such a serious issue to require a recall is surprising. So, then trying to rationalise how in such a world an injector failure could ever be considered a safety issue requiring a recall would be headache inducing.