Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But they were sure to fix the issue promptly with the US police vehicles where the issue of liability is greatly increased....

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
As for the boost reference, either the injectors are a higher flow (in which case a re-tune would most likely be required) or higher pressure capacity but I'd rather think he's talking rubbish.

It's actually true. Bosch and GMH together decided that they could investigate and rectify a manufacturing failure in the injectors (it's suspected either a plastic composite fault or porosity within the moulding), or they could not bother and use a boost rated injector of the same flow that was already available on the shelf, which is already manufactured in a slightly different way to withstand higher external pressure. $$ wins out and they went with the off-the-shelf solution.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Why would they fit a boost ready injector on a non boosted engine?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Why would they fit a boost ready injector on a non boosted engine?

Because it's cheaper than re-engineering the non-boosted version of the same type and flow rate?

Lowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline
Mmmm, welcome Lowman. Getting a few new members to this forum with their first post being this issue. I would love to know how many cars Australia wide Holden have had to replace injectors for now. Having a recall has been discussed pages back, and although not necessarily a safety issue, it's an issue.

You have to think at some stage most VF's will experience this problem. Would it be too much for Holden to send out letters to those whom they have details for saying there is an issue with the injectors, if you experience a, b or c, please take your car to your nearest Holden dealer.......???

By the way Lowman, you should be taking your car to Holden, I hope you haven't forked out $ for you mechanic to replace the injector?
Gday mate, yeah ill be knocking on the service departments door first thing tomorrow morning. And will be telling them I need a loan car as I my car is used for work and my job is impossible without one! As well as reimbursement for the mechanics fee to diagnose the problem in the first place. See how we go???

Myfirstv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Caprice V
[QUO
TE="jono67, post: 3017433, member: 143389"]So you had all the injectors replaced at 60 000km? If so, when was that?[/QUOTE]
I bought the Car in February. I have only had it for two months. (always wanted a V8)
One morning, with no warning, I started it up and it was running like a dog. The service light came on (it was serviced by the dealer I had bought it from. I also had a three month warranty) as well. I drove directly to my local Holden dealer who put it on the tuner and said it needs no 5 injector replaced. Unusual, I thought. The dealer I bought it from did it under my warranty although, they say it was not covered under their warranty. Interesting to note, that the guy told me that his brother has an SSV of similar era and has had trouble with all of his injectors and was told that it is a common fault. Why do I get all the other recalls for this vehicle but not for this? I was told that as it was not a safety issue, Holden would not cover the faulty injectors. Well, I live in the bush. If I was caught up in a bushfire or health emergency, and this car ceased to function well enough to escape or get away, my life and that of any with me, would be at risk. I bought this car for the reliability, comfort and room of a sedan car. I travel long distances through station country, and feel that the top of the range should be well built and reliable. One other problem with the car is: it leaks dust badly. I was not to know until I put it on the dirt. Secondly, I did not do enough research to know that I cannot put a higher profile tyre on it. Other than that, I love driving it.

Myfirstv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Caprice V
So you had all the injectors replaced at 60 000km? If so, when was that?
I had one injector replaced. It was done a few weeks ago, as in a couple. I also rang the Holden dealership that fixed it and asked about my 98 Octane issue. He said that some cars hate 98. It just does not resonate with the engine. I had only had access to 95 and had no troubles. It was on this particular trip in mention, that I filled with 98. The tech guy said to drive to my nearest fuel stop and fill with 91. WELL, my fuel consumption leaving town went from 19lph to between 6-8lph. After settling down in the system, it went back to around the 13.5 towing. The change is immediate. Yesterday on my 750k trip home, I filled with E10 and the fuel consumption was as good as the 95. I was told that the 98 put my car into limp/safe mode. Hence, the extremely high consumption. I am not a tech guru, but the plastic bit in the injector topic, relating to this issue was described to me when I questioned why Nos. 5 injector failed. I agree with others, that the injectors, if known to be faulty, should be a recall. If not, social media can do a lot of damage to their iconic brand.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
I was told that as it was not a safety issue, Holden would not cover the faulty injectors.

Mate, I'd ask your Holden dealer to check with head office to see about replacing the whole lot because you know of others (us, and the dealers brother) that have had the same issues and Holden have been doing just that. If they won't contact head office, call Holden Customer Care on 1800 46 465 336 (between 8.00am and 7.00pm Mon to Fri) and explain to them you've had an injector replaced and that you know other customers have had all injectors replaced due to faults with the original ones.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I did not do enough research to know that I cannot put a higher profile tyre on it.

A smaller diameter rim will allow a higher profile tyre and retain the same rolling diameter.

Myfirstv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Caprice V
A smaller diameter rim will allow a higher profile tyre and retain the same rolling diameter.
Interesting, I shall try again. The dealership said that Caprice rims are specifically designed for it. I looked in the owners manual and it said that it can only drive on the rims I had on it. A tyre dealership measured it up and searched all the specs and came up with the same. One tyre place said it would take the front ones off and try just to experiment. I visited four tyre places incl. the Holden dealership.