Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by jono67, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot

All good.

I just thought that going through Holden Roadside Assistance and getting NRMA out was the first part of Holden triage.

I don't know what other people did when they had this problem. Holden Roadside Assistance first or just straight to the Dealer?

2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Early in the piece, some people paid to have the faulty injector changed :oops:
    Now, dealers and Holden understand the issues better, so if injector resistance is low and/or if DTC's are flagged, all 8 injectors get changed under your ACL statutory warranty rights (which Holden loves to call good will if you're out of manufacturers warranty period) :p
    Sometimes they still need reminding ;)

3. Dirty Harry

Members Ride:
    I will let you know how I go.

Skylarking and Ron Burgundy like this.
  4. Dirty Harry

Members Ride:
    ok. The car is fixed and Injector no. 6 did die.

But they only replaced the dodgy injector so going by others here where they said all 8 were replaced, I will follow it up later on.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  5. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I have a feeling that now that holden is shutting the door they will be less inclined to do anything they dont have to i.e. replace all injectors vs replacing only the faulty one.

Holden was never known for great customer care/support and I have a feeling it will only get worse now that there is **** all to lose....

6. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yep, we should all have made a big public stink about these known defective injectors all needing to be replaced under ACL statutory warranty defective product provision via a recall process. That way unplanned vehicle downtime could be avoided.

Now it seems one can in theory have 8 unexpected down times and 8 trips to the dealer to get their known faulty injectors fixed, one at a time. Lets hope that's not the case.
    I'd ring Holden Customer car and question them over the issue and the fact it's a known defect where others have had all 8 injecters replaced at the one time. I'd want and demand clarity and equity in customer treatment regarding this known defect.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  7. Matt_VFSSV

Matt_VFSSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Morning! First time poster here. I stumbled across this forum while researching this exact failure in my VF SSV yesterday morning.

I must say the replies and experiences in this thread have been extremely helpful, so thanks very much for everyone sharing their stories about it.

My car is a 2015 SSV, out of warranty by 2 years now. Yesterday morning when my wife went to go to work, the "SERVICE ESP" warning came up, the check engine light came on, and it ran like a tractor. So onto a flat bed it went and off to Holden.

They called me not long ago and told me all 8 injectors need to be replaced at a cost of $890. I queried the ACCC position on it, and the reply I got was "I'll have to ring head office and see what they say. Those cars that you're referring to had only just run out of warranty, so it might not be available to you"

I politely asked her to confirm that and let me know. Will see what they say. From what I have researched, they'll more than likely have to come to the party so fingers crossed.

In a stroke of good fortune, John Cadogan uploaded a video on this exact issue a few days ago which I also found very helpful.

Fingers crossed my car is back and operational soon enough without me having to have forked out $900 odd.

Cheers.

8. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Matt_VFSSV just keep in mind that ACL provides not only the statutory warranty (that I love and manufacturers hate) but also has provisions for compensation for damages and loss.

In that later context, as the vehicle wasn’t drivable, and especially if the dealer suggested it be trucked to them to avoid potential damage, then the towing costs is something that Holden should reimburse (or pay for directly if you’ve yet to receive the tow charge).

You probably won’t be able to hit them for hire car costs but if parts availability is delayed, thus delaying the repair, you could request a loan car that Holden should cough up.

From your perspective, you shouldn’t be out of pocket for the repair of this known defect and any associated costs you’ve had related to the incident.

Matt_VFSSV likes this.
  9. Matt_VFSSV

Matt_VFSSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Thanks for the tip. Holden didn't specifically ask me to tow it to them, so I wouldn't push that aspect. I had the majority of the tow fee covered in my roadside plan, and I only had to fix up the last 15km or so, which I'm not too concerned with, especially if Holden come to the party on the repair costs.

When I spoke to them this morning, she indicated (before the ACL discussion) that the work could be carried out today, so I'd hazard a guess and say the parts are readily available at the moment. I was going to suggest they go ahead with the replacement today anyway, given that it's only going to be a conversation about who is actually paying, but figured I wouldn't push it too hard, as I don't want to create any waves beyond what I'm entitled to. If/when "head office" approve it, it should be done pretty quick. I have the fortunate luck to have other cars to use in the short term, if need be.

10. Matt_VFSSV

Matt_VFSSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    *Update* - As of 5:15pm same day it was diagnosed, all 8 injectors replaced, covered by Holden.

There you go guys, the system works.... Provided you go on the offensive. They would have been quite happy to take my $890 had I not questioned them.

11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Matt_VFSSV it's always easier resolving such faults if you have access to another vehicle since you're not under self induced pressured to achieve a quick outcome :) Such self induced pressure often results in just paying $$$ to get it done without delay :oops:

Anyway, under ACL, it's the seller that has the primary obligation to rectify the fault. But don't feel sorry for the seller as they aren't out of pocket since they can claim such rectification costs from their supplier (manufacturer/importer).

That being the case, Holden does come to the party on such ACL issues via their dealer network. This means one can get ACL statutory warranty fixes at any dealer, not just the selling dealer. BUT why so many dealers still try and pull the wool over an unsuspecting purchaser eyes when they know better, just so they can score a better paid retail fix as compared to Holden's lower cost ACL statutory warranty / goodwill claim process, well that defines their morality in once sence and in those cases i find it rather gauling. So when i catch them out trying such crap, when i know they know better, i have no problem ripping them a new one and claiming all out of pocket costs and/or afree map update or free future service :cool:

The only issue with Holden is that GM has pulled the plug aso they'll possibly play hardball going forward o_O

I'm sure it will work out in your favour but good luck anyway :D

[EDITED: should not walk away from monitor and post without refreshing the page on my return. As such i missed your post but it's great to hear its all sorted]

Matt_VFSSV and Lex like this.
  12. Dirty Harry

Members Ride:
    Following up from my Injector Failure, Holden Customer Care are playing hard ball and won't replace the other 7 injectors.

HCC did say they would replace the injector if it failed outside of the warranty period though.

Does anyone know if it is Techline 20-4-002 that covers replacing all 8 injectors please? Holden denied there was one out.

13. Dirty Harry

Members Ride:
    Well #$*@ me.

It looks like another injector has failed.

After disagreeing with the dealer that the car was using more petrol than what it should (14/100 highway), I got another misfire today.

This time it is injector no. 4 (no. 6 last time).

So the car is being towed first thing in the morning back to the dealer.

They better replace all remaining injectors this time.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  14. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Oh that's pretty farked up after having a previous injector fail.

15. Matt ssv

Matt ssv New Member

Members Ride:
    VF s2 ssv redline
    Seeing how common this problem is has me a little concerned, im trading in my 2013 l77 ute for a 2017 ls3 sedan - iv had no issues with my l77, 72 000kms, has a high idle at rare times and sometimes feels lacking on power but its never lasted and always returns to normal.... hope i dont "upgrade" to injector problems ..!

16. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Fix them and the car is running again. simple.

17. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Just buy the car and play dumb in relation to the potentially faulty injectors.

Should you later experiance this known fault, have it fixed "gratis" as is your legal right under ACL statutory warranty. You may be initially screwed around a bit but it must be sorted by the selling dealer who can then claim their costs back from Holden.

I wouldn't sinmply pay for all 8 injectors and their fittment myself as it'd be worth the small hassle to excersise your ACL rights as afforded to you by law.

(Holden has continually stated in the media they will look after their customers with service, warranty and recall issues so you've got lots of press to reference should they start to behave like sh!ts)

Matt ssv likes this.
  18. Dirty Harry

Members Ride:
    I got my car back yesterday and all the remaining 7 injectors have been replaced.

Ron Burgundy and Skylarking like this.
  19. Matt ssv

Matt ssv New Member

Members Ride:
    VF s2 ssv redline
    Picked up a 2016 ssv redline 2 weeks ago and just got a service esp warning and running rough.. will be contacting holden first thing in the morning! Hopefully all goes smoothly

20. I Wish

I Wish New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
    For those out of warranty are there aftermarket ones that are plug and play and more reliable?

Ron Burgundy likes this.