Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
I know there are 37 pages of posts but is it pot luck on how long the injectors last? City v country mileage? Manual v auto? Fuel used? Distance travelled? Climate?
For what’s worth 90% of my mileage is cruise control on and I have run United E10 almost exclusively. I’ve done 49,000 k.
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, auto, just clocked 49,000, Melbourne climate different every day:)

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
@steen I had to call first and organise as they are also on reduced hours, only working Mondays and Tuesdays so gotta get in quick.
PC are also 9.5km from where i live but only a few kms from my work. I have a work permit and my car is a daily driver that was overdue for a service and needed emergency repairs so basically i didn't care it was outside the 5km. When i called to organise they Did ask if i had a permit to work and said i had to bring it with me, when i got there i brought it in with me thinking they'd want a copy or at least look at it but they didn't, so i guess if you don't have one you can still try and organise a repair just hour they don't ask to see it.
Right. Thanks for the info. I've also got a work permit (exempted profession) & can travel >5k radius. Permit requirement was likely in case you were stopped by vicpol. Car is similarly daily driver & also overdue (date, not km) for service. So you had it serviced, too? From your other thread, did PC confirm issue as known & covered by Holden over the phone or when you took the car in?

I know there are 37 pages of posts but is it pot luck on how long the injectors last? City v country mileage? Manual v auto? Fuel used? Distance travelled? Climate?
For what’s worth 90% of my mileage is cruise control on and I have run United E10 almost exclusively. I’ve done 49,000 k.
Essentially, yes. Pot luck. "Bad batch" can mean anything given range of years, L77/LS3 affected. City drivers will run richer for longer, you'll run leaner & cleaner. That may not matter if it's a hardware/design issue & unrelated to Temp, etc for mtbf. I haven't read the entire thread, so there may be specific insight into the faulty injectors.

Last edited:

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Right. Thanks for the info. I've also got a work permit (exempted profession) & can travel >5k radius. Permit requirement was likely in case you were stopped by vicpol. Car is similarly daily driver & also overdue (date, not km) for service. So you had it serviced, too? From your other thread, did PC confirm issue as known & covered by Holden over the phone or when you took the car in?

Well the person i spoke to on the phone said they would only service my car if i had a work permit, i said i did but no one every looked at it. I thought they'd need a copy to go with the paperwork in case the government asked questions and they could show i was an "essential worker"
I explained the problems to the lady When i dropped the car off and even she said it sounds like injectors and that If it was they'd replace all of them for free stock permitting. Wasn't confirmed until the phone call a few hours later and i wad told they would replace all injectors. They definitely knew about the injector problems and didn't hide it. If they find your car has the injector problem I'm sure they'll say so and replace FOC.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
@Kakodaemon, muchas gracias.
@steen No problems;)
if you're going to do it I'd call them tomorrow to try and organise something for Monday or Tuesday next week as i was told they have a limited amount they can do per.... day or week or something. They even had to check if they were allowed to book my car in to get my airbag problem sorted, thankfully I'm getting it done Monday:cool: good luck mate.

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Heard back from the dealership. My diagnosis was correct. Failed injector # 1. They're applying to Holden for the "good will" repair. I told them it had nothing to do with good will given it's a known fault with the injectors & was a consumer law matter. We'll see tomorrow. I've got a feeling I should've gone to PC...

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Heard back from the dealership. My diagnosis was correct. Failed injector # 1. They're applying to Holden for the "good will" repair. I told them it had nothing to do with good will given it's a known fault with the injectors & was a consumer law matter. We'll see tomorrow. I've got a feeling I should've gone to PC...

I'm sure holden will tell the dealer to repair it, with so much evidence all over the place they can't really deny it.
let them call it what ever they want as long as they fix it. Make sure they replace ALL of the injectors too, you don't want this crap happening again 6 months down the track!!

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE

@steen How did you go getting your injectors replaced under warranty?

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
@steen How did you go getting your injectors replaced under warranty?
After multiple calls to the dealer this morning, I got a reply this afternoon that the car is repaired. However, PRA authorised only the faulty injector be replaced. I asked they contact them again re-stating the known issues, ACL requirements for known faulty products & Holden's own bulletin for replacing all injectors, but it seems they're running the same line as per @Dirty Harry. They admitted they knew full well the issues, as they're dealing with it weekly, but could not give me a straight answer as to why I was getting different treatment to other customers with older/higher km vehicles. It's a contrivance to blame PRA as a body that somehow sits between Head Office & the dealerships. I will take this further with ACCC/CAV & will call HCC tomorrow.

Will get tech details of failure resistance/DTC flags tomorrow...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Injectors and supply chains could be a cause.