Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Tumble_roll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf1 ssv redline
Cheers mate, How old is your vehicle for you to also require the purchase of new injecters? How many ks should you get from a rail of injecters ???? My my15 ssv r has 38000ks on it ..why am i experiencing injecter problems. ??
My understaning is if you can clean them/remove varnish etc then do that. And you replace them when they fail electrical testing. I guess my big question for HOLDEN is what brand of injecter was fitted to my15 ss and v/r commodores at that time. Can anyone confirm if they were stock BOSCH ??? cheers

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
2013 vf calais, 86000 klm . The injectors will have some numbers on them .

Attachments

• 20170427_182907.jpg
    20170427_182907.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 369

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...To answer your question, I think you'll be pushing the proverbial uphill if you expect them to replace all of them. Car companies aren't in the business of preventative maintenance when it's on their dime.
If the injectors have some design fault that leads them to premature failure, Holden will have to fix the other injectors when they fail before they would have done so in the normal scheme of things. Keeping in mind that injectors should last the life of the car, it would be in Holdens interest to do the job once and fix it for good. It’s a cost that Holden can recoup from Bosch, if they are the supplier of these problem injectors, so it may not be as much of an uphill push as one would initially think.

Last edited:

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Last week the same issue started happening on my Redline vf2 2016 with 59000km.
The day it started, I checked the codes and I got:
P0208 - Powertrain Injector Circuit - cylinder 8
P0307 - Powertrain Cylinder 8 Misfire

The idle was very rough but it got better after warm up.

After a few Re starts the engine light went away but the idle is a bit rough.

I started to monitor the cylinder misfires (actuall and history). Cylinder 6 has a few misfires from time to time but 8 has misfires everytime it is idling. It doesn’t misfires under load. Maybe because the ecu can not detect the misfire on higher engine speeds.

Fuel trims are looking fine, so I assume the issue is not that bad. If the injector was completely of all the time the fuel trim would be putting lots of fuel to compensate for the misfire.

The O2 sensors readings on bank2, were Cyl8 is, look much more erratic on idle than O2 bank 1 . When plotting it you can see the ecu fighting to keep a nice oscillating AFR. Under load they both look the same. It makes me wonder if the injector is leaking and that is the reason you can see the sintoms when idling.
B2F47799-2471-4AE7-82DF-6E79F78A20E2.jpeg

I swapped spark plug and leads between cyl8 and cyl4 just in case and the issue remained on cylinder 8.

I was about to swap the coil packs but I will let the rest of the troubleshooting to Holden as it is still under warranty.

I am using the Torque App and a OBDII Bluetooth dongle. It is very simple to use and I would advise everyone to have some kind of scanner specially those out of warranty.

Let see what Holden will say

Last edited:

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I couldn't help my self and continued troubleshooting.

Tried to listen to the injector with a long screw driver but it didn't sound different from the other injectors. On the scanner was misfiring but very little so i think it would be impossible to me to identify a missing click out of so many.

Measure resistance on all injectors
1= 14.4 ohms
3= 14.4 ohms
5= 16 ohms
7= 14.4 ohms

2= 14.4 ohms
4= 14.4 ohms
6 = 20 ohms no signs of pin corrosion
8 = 40 ohms no signs of pin corrosion

The service manual states that if the impedance is not between 11 and 14 it should be replaced.

In order not to waste time, It feels like calling Holden and asking them to have injectors on hand otherwise I won't take the car.

I have attached a log from TorqueApp in case anyone is interested. Bank 2 fuel trim looks better than the bank 1 which is most of the time between -5% and 9%

Attachments

• trackLog-2018-Dec-22_09-19-50.txt
    553.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Tumble_roll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf1 ssv redline
I couldn't help my self and continued troubleshooting.

Tried to listen to the injector with a long screw driver but it didn't sound different from the other injectors. On the scanner was misfiring but very little so i think it would be impossible to me to identify a missing click out of so many.

Measure resistance on all injectors
1= 14.4 ohms
3= 14.4 ohms
5= 16 ohms
7= 14.4 ohms

2= 14.4 ohms
4= 14.4 ohms
6 = 20 ohms no signs of pin corrosion
8 = 40 ohms no signs of pin corrosion

The service manual states that if the impedance is not between 11 and 14 it should be replaced.

In order not to waste time, It feels like calling Holden and asking them to have injectors on hand otherwise I won't take the car.

I have attached a log from TorqueApp in case anyone is interested. Bank 2 fuel trim looks better than the bank 1 which is most of the time between -5% and 9%
Thanks Dan, interesting. I wonder just how many rough starts can be put down to faulty injecters. And how many times has holden kept misdiagnosing this real rought start problem. My injecters fitted stock to the car were/are bosch including the one that was replaced . Crappy bosch. I have heard that there is trouble with their o2 sensors too.

Tumble_roll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf1 ssv redline
If the injectors have some design fault that leads them to premature failure, Holden will have to fix the other injectors when they fail before they would have done so in the normal scheme of things. Keeping in mind that injectors should last the life of the car, it would be in Holdens interest to do the job once and fix it for good. It’s a cost that Holden can recoup from Bosch, if they are the supplier of these problem injectors, so it may not be as much of an uphill push as one would initially think.

Cheers mate for the consumer law advice.. rough and sloppy start could result in poor acceleration and restrict a drivers response when/ is required..for example when entering/accelerating into a fast moving traffic flow/highway. this sounds like a safety problem developing to me which holden should investigate and deal with as a SAFETY RECALL in my opinion.

tommac61

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
Hi All,

I just had a 8 injectors replaced free by Holden on my 2016 WN Caprice, just on 73000km.
It’s had a rough idle for a while, but once the weather here went over 30 deg the Chk engine and esp warnings came up and it was missing quite severely.
Interesting enough, the lights did disappear as the heatwave passed, missing diminished but did not completely disappear. Cold start had a silky smooth idle, once car was hot (I have a 35km run to work) the missing and rough idle became apparent
Service manager said this was an issue being addressed with a full replacement of all injectors, there could be a long wait though as my issue started in mid November and has only just been fixed.

Tumble_roll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf1 ssv redline
Cheers mate.. is this a bigger issue which is developing here ?
How many others out there is experiencing similar and difficult to diagnose the same frustrating rough start up issues ? Lots of rough starts and no codes triggered such as a check engine or esp light.. ?????

How can this rough/poor startup and the possible injecter issue be communicated to the broader just commodores forum community.. ???.
I am new to the forum but it sounds like HOLDEN knows about the issue based from some of the commentary from this thread

Look out HOLDEN 2019. look for my letter. Not happy..

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cheers mate.. is this a bigger issue which is developing here ?
How many others out there is experiencing similar and difficult to diagnose the same frustrating rough start up issues ? Lots of rough starts and no codes triggered such as a check engine or esp light.. ?????

How can this rough/poor startup and the possible injecter issue be communicated to the broader just commodores forum community.. ???.
I am new to the forum but it sounds like HOLDEN knows about the issue based from some of the commentary from this thread

Look out HOLDEN 2019. look for my letter. Not happy..

I saw your post in the VE thread.

Given you have a Series I which I expect will be flex fuel, have you been running 98 fuel ?

If so, have you tried 95 ?