Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
If the STFT is ok,LTFT would be fine if it was on. Whatever would be on the LTFT would be showing in the STFT.

Budget is approved, so soon I will be doing my diagnostics and tuning using HPtuners MPVI2. I am just deciding on the wideband controller.

true.
ltft is just the average.
my stft swing from - to + with 10% so happy with that.

I want to get into this tuning thing but don't know where to start.
have an auto cal and efi live used when I had my tune done.
I know how to read tunes. log them and load them
no idea how to even start looking at a logged run then playing with it!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
it is a continuously learning thing to take on and all i can say is read and read and read everything u can so u know what the tables do and what alse they affect when adjusted, best to get a wideband if u want to adjust fuel accurately even get a bung put in so u keep your 02's as well as the WB and wb should be before the cats, i use hpt and it is quite different layout to efilive but if u did want any help i can do what i can to help u understand it

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
it is a continuously learning thing to take on and all i can say is read and read and read everything u can so u know what the tables do and what alse they affect when adjusted, best to get a wideband if u want to adjust fuel accurately even get a bung put in so u keep your 02's as well as the WB and wb should be before the cats, i use hpt and it is quite different layout to efilive but if u did want any help i can do what i can to help u understand it

Thanks mate.
Its more of an interest/hobby sort of thing for me as opposed to getting too serious.
getting a WB would be for all the serious tuners, but i'm guessing you can still use the o2 sensors as the same tool, just not as accurate?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Thanks mate.
Its more of an interest/hobby sort of thing for me as opposed to getting too serious.
getting a WB would be for all the serious tuners, but i'm guessing you can still use the o2 sensors as the same tool, just not as accurate?
u will need a WB for any open loop fueling the 02's are only good for part throttle and are only accurate at stoich AFR

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
true.
ltft is just the average.
my stft swing from - to + with 10% so happy with that.

There are plenty of material to read and videos online. Difficult is to filter the good stuff. Time is precious and if you want something more structured from a professional with lots of experience I would suggest hpacademy courses.

I bought a few courses and I am very happy with the quality. The practical tunning course has a full example tunning a VE commodore.

As 07GTS mentioned the wideband is essential for open loop which is the mode the car is operanting when flooring it. It also help to confirm you are achieving the desired AFR.

One example related to the injector:
My car has rough idle
Impedance around 20ohms on cyl 6 and 40 on cyl8
From OBDII dongle as I mentioned
Misfire on cyl8 when idle
Fuel trims are acceptable
Narrow O2 sensors shows that the AFR is oscillating around stoic 45mV

So it looks like the car is ok to drive. However, when I am being left behind by Stingers, GTRs, Barra turbos, Golf R , A45 etc....the car is in open loop an I can’t confirm the acceleration enrichment and the richer commanded AFR is being achieved. So I don’t know
if it is safe to give it a go. So a wide band would let me know if it is safe to keeping losing street races until Holden finally gets some injectors in stock.

I am just a learner but if you want to share some logs I have EFIlive on my pc.

The other day I found out my wife’s corola uses wide band Sensors. But my 400hp car doesn’t.

PS. The comments about street race is on a joking note. Please don’t take it seriously and drive with caution , use Waze.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
There are plenty of material to read and videos online. Difficult is to filter the good stuff. Time is precious and if you want something more structured from a professional with lots of experience I would suggest hpacademy courses.

I bought a few courses and I am very happy with the quality. The practical tunning course has a full example tunning a VE commodore.

As 07GTS mentioned the wideband is essential for open loop which is the mode the car is operanting when flooring it. It also help to confirm you are achieving the desired AFR.

One example related to the injector:
My car has rough idle
Impedance around 20ohms on cyl 6 and 40 on cyl8
From OBDII dongle as I mentioned
Misfire on cyl8 when idle
Fuel trims are acceptable
Narrow O2 sensors shows that the AFR is oscillating around stoic 45mV

So it looks like the car is ok to drive. However, when I am being left behind by Stingers, GTRs, Barra turbos, Golf R , A45 etc....the car is in open loop an I can’t confirm the acceleration enrichment and the richer commanded AFR is being achieved. So I don’t know
if it is safe to give it a go. So a wide band would let me know if it is safe to keeping losing street races until Holden finally gets some injectors in stock.

I am just a learner but if you want to share some logs I have EFIlive on my pc.

The other day I found out my wife’s corola uses wide band Sensors. But my 400hp car doesn’t.

PS. The comments about street race is on a joking note. Please don’t take it seriously and drive with caution , use Waze.

Cool
Can we get wb 02s to replace ours?

Re street racing.
All good, does not bother me
Everyone has done it at least once, anyone who denies that needs to self check

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u cant replace your 02's with widebands u have to add a wideband into the system, WB sensor and 02 sensor are very different 02's are 0-1v where the WB are 0-5v and will have a controller

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
u cant replace your 02's with widebands u have to add a wideband into the system, WB sensor and 02 sensor are very different 02's are 0-1v where the WB are 0-5v and will have a controller

You can actually replace the stock O2 sensors with widebands if you use a controller which emulates the narrowband signal like the PLX https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=897346002726
It has 2 analog output, 0-1V and 0-5V
The stock ECU will not get any benefit from the WB. You can save having to install another bung on the exhaust line but that is all the benefits.
I don't see many advantage on it. If you have any problem with the WB controller you will get engine light on and limp mode for sure.

Wideband add on is the way to go.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
You can actually replace the stock O2 sensors with widebands if you use a controller which emulates the narrowband signal like the PLX https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=897346002726
It has 2 analog output, 0-1V and 0-5V
The stock ECU will not get any benefit from the WB. You can save having to install another bung on the exhaust line but that is all the benefits.
I don't see many advantage on it. If you have any problem with the WB controller you will get engine light on and limp mode for sure.

Wideband add on is the way to go.
yea ive seen some of those but i still wouldnt do it, as u mention best to have it extra then if u have an issue with WB u can always check stoich point against it 02 v WB and widebands are getting quick now but the narrow bands can sometimes pick up any little blips where WB wont show much, im using one WB in each bank for my build im doing and tapping into obd data so i can pick both up with hpt as a PID

smurfmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf redline
Well, mine need replacing as well. Started it up yesterday and was idling rough, dash message came up, i went direct to holden dealersip, they said straight up sounds like injector, they indicated they have had to replace a few recently, they checked vehicle there and then and confirmed #5 wasn't great. Told me holden recommend replacing the lot. I bought with 5yr warranty (2014 model) so just waiiting to book it in. I'm happy to get new set of injectors just before warranty expired, but it sounds like they are doing the right thing anyway. No complaints from me. Oddly enough it's running ok at the moment.