Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Injector Help

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hey Guys

I've got a 94 3.8 vr and one of the injectors sounds like its pumping fuel into the cylinder with just the ignition turned on.

Difficult to explain because I've got absolutely no idea about injectors, a mate reckons some of the seals on it may be gone or something?

It's just the one injector you can feel it pumping if you put your fingers on it but it switches off/stops after a few seconds but its definately the only one doing it.

Can someone give me some advice as to what it is/how bad it is/ how difficult it is to fix??

Thanks guys

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
So it's going and then stopping intermittently?
If that's the case, I'd try one of the other injector cables on it, if it's still doing the same thing, then i'd just replace the injector, if it's not - then you have an electrical issue

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It shouldn't inject fuel with just the ignition on as the ECU needs to send a pulse to the injector to open and inject the fuel - with the engine stopped no pulse exists.
Can you see or smell fuel leaking from the injector and do you have any other symptoms like engine missing etc?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
When you start the car at idle does it missfire and does the exhaust smell really rich in fuel? Have you disconnected the battery recently? Sounds like an electrical problem to me if it is only pumping fuel into the cylinder when the ignition is turned on. My mates vs did this same thing recently on cylinder 4 which we determined by disconecting each injector lead, one at a time and connected a noid lite to it. This is basically just a small light globe that plugs into the injector lead that should flash with each injector pulse and only when the motor is actually running. Cylinder 4 was quickly diagnosed as the problem as it was lighting up the globe with only the ignition on and the light was about 4 times brighter than on the others. We replaced/tried all sorts of things and it came down to the battery which was recently disconnected and he did not reconnect it properly and therefore the ecu did not re-learn all info correctly. What I would suggest you do is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect it. Then start the car and hold it on around 2500-3000rpm for 30 seconds and this should allow your ecu to correctly learn all operations again. Good luck with it.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
I tried what you said cander and it didn't change anything, I talked to my dad bout it and he thinks its probably an air leak in the seals of the injector.

The car has always had problems idling but now its getting really bad, I can't stop the car in drive without it stalling, I think I'll get a seal kit from repco and put new seals through it, or if someone has a better idea I'd really like to hear it!