Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel issue on steep decline driveway?

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Hi,

I recently bought a 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan, and have noticed an issue when it tries to start. Our driveway at home is on a fairly steep decline as our house is lower than road level. I’ve noticed when the fuel level gets near halfway it has trouble starting. It just cranks and cranks but it’s like it just isn’t getting any fuel. It eventually springs to life after long cranking.

Is there a known issue for this? When I filled up the car for the first time when it first happened it stopped, but now that it is back near halfway the problem has returned. I don’t want to run it below halfway and potentially get stuck on the driveway because it isn’t receiving any fuel to the engine... How is the fuel pump designed etc? It’s definitely not the battery. Is there a design flaw or something?

If you need any more info let me know
Thanks

Last edited:

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Just thought I’d add, this issue has never happened on level ground, only on the driveway. It shakes a little bit until I get off the driveway, once it’s off the decline it runs fine. Though idiling on the driveway is fine when I return from the road.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
The usual go is to back the car down the slope and see if the problem is still there,if it is then its not the fuel pickup/pump sucking air.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Does it do it every time? A good way to test is to cycle the ignition a few times before starting - key on, key off, key on, key off, key on, delay a few seconds between each, then start it. This cycles the in tank fuel pump to prime the rest of the fuel system.

It sounds like a possible anti-drain back valve allowing the fuel system to bleed its pressure back into the tank which means it has to prime the whole car's worth of lines before feeding the engine. The above will allow you to test that theory (if it stops faulting it's 99% a fuel pump).

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Does it do it every time? A good way to test is to cycle the ignition a few times before starting - key on, key off, key on, key off, key on, delay a few seconds between each, then start it. This cycles the in tank fuel pump to prime the rest of the fuel system.

It sounds like a possible anti-drain back valve allowing the fuel system to bleed its pressure back into the tank which means it has to prime the whole car's worth of lines before feeding the engine. The above will allow you to test that theory (if it stops faulting it's 99% a fuel pump).
Could it be the Fuel filter? If blocked it will take some time to presurise the system, especially if pushing against gravity.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Could it be the Fuel filter? If blocked it will take some time to presurise the system, especially if pushing against gravity.
They don't have fuel filters, only an in-tank strainer. Unlikely to be fouled (as a strainer, normally it's just to stop picking crap up, when the pump is turned off the bits fall off the strainer back to the bottom of the tank).

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
The usual go is to back the car down the slope and see if the problem is still there,if it is then its not the fuel pickup/pump sucking air.
Thanks Harry, I've tried reversing down the driveway now and so far it hasn't happened.

Hm, I'll try this after I see the outcome of reversing on the driveway.

------------------------
Got a video of it happening, might provide some more insight. This was with the car pointing down the driveway. As you can see, it eventually kicks in.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Ford Territorys have a reputation of being hard to start with less than a half tank of fuel when parked a certain way on an incline. The fuel pump can't pick up the fuel. But no problems when they are level. Perhaps your problem is the same ?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I have a VN wagon and if you get down to around a quarter tank or less you can't park it on a severe left hand slope,just won't start,pickup must be in the RHS of the tank.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I have a VN wagon and if you get down to around a quarter tank or less you can't park it on a severe left hand slope,just won't start,pickup must be in the RHS of the tank.

you sir have a great Australian made vehicle
I VN wagon has more street cred than any other holden built post 1989