Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel issue on steep decline driveway?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Has anyone said starter motor? Kind of sounds like the starter isn't disengaging from the ring gear properly..

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Not much help I know. But it definitely sounds like a fuelling issue to me. It's turning over fine and seems to be firing. Is this the only issue? Or, does it exhibit any other issues under various driving conditions?
Does it do the same thing if you let the fuel pump prime the system first, I.e not remote start?
It's like initially it has a bit of fuel, but not enough to start. Then when the pressure builds up, it fires. As others may have said, it's like nearly all the fuel in the lines is bleeding back into the tank (= no pressure at start up). If it was a faulty pump, it would miss or stall etc under load.
Yeah this is the only issue. Handles fine under heavy load, given it a few squirts lately to see if anything happened but it’s all fine. It’s a little hard to test the priming because it only happens randomly, for all I know it might not happen again until Holden looks at it and it probably won’t haooen when they look at it too :(

Has anyone said starter motor? Kind of sounds like the starter isn't disengaging from the ring gear properly..
An apprentice mechanic at work said it could be the starter motor, can you explain more about this ring gear?

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I just want to know why it only happens randomly and not all the time, I think it’d point maybe to a fuel issue being random and depending on how much it has bled back into the tank (if that is the problem). Was thinking if it was the starter motor then shouldn’t it have trouble constantly trying to start? As I said I can turn the car off straight after it’s had it’s strugglr and turn it back on and it’ll be fine

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not everything fails instantly or completely. The starter motor has a little gear that moves forward to engage with the ring gear on the back of the engine to crank the engine. If the starter is faulty and the little gear doesn't always retract fully after starting it could be grinding on the ring gear until it gets knocked clear.
Insert correct technical terms here if you like

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Not everything fails instantly or completely. The starter motor has a little gear that moves forward to engage with the ring gear on the back of the engine to crank the engine. If the starter is faulty and the little gear doesn't always retract fully after starting it could be grinding on the ring gear until it gets knocked clear.
Insert correct technical terms here if you like
I think its called a solenoid, if l remember correctly. Solenoid over run.
Just means the solenoid is not disengaging fast enough.
Its like what greenacc is saying with the starter motor.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
When the solenoid doesn't disengage correctly, it wears the rear edge of the ring gear teeth. The ring gear is a large gear attached to the flywheel on manuals, or torque converter on autos. This can get that bad over time, that when trying to start the car, it will just make a very loud screaching sound (think a giant sulphur created cocky), as the solenoid gear tries to engage with the ring gear. It can be a bit hit and miss, as the gears can engage in a good section of the ring gear sometimes, and a damaged section at other times the sound I am hearing from your VF is nothing like the sound of a stripped ring gear.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Well got it back from Holden today, after about 4 hours they put it down to wrong battery.

The battery in the car was only providing 460cca when it should be minimum 680cca.

There were codes in the EBCM (electronic brake control module) stating that there was low voltage. Every time the code was cleared and the car was restarted, it would pop up again as a history code. Once they replaced the battery the code never appeared again

-------
Job Details (as per the service report):
WHEN USING REMOTE START (NOT EVERY TIME) KEEPS WINDING OVER
Checked for Codes
EBCM - C0800 03 control module power current, low voltage, code history and cleared.
Tested remote start operation numerous times. Not faulting but in data goes to 9V, rest of system at 10V.
Code C0800 in EBCM logging as history code on every remote start. Suspect battery issue as CCA rating too low. Checked for correct battery, CCA rating should be 680. Battery currently fitted to vehicle only provides 460CCA.
Recommend to replace battery with correct type and retest.

Supplied and fitted new battery with correct CCA.
Retested, not logging any codes and starts correctly every time. Road tested okay.
-------

Thanks for all the help guys, got down to the bottom of it in the end :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Glad it is all sorted.

Just highlights that our modern computer controlled cars are rather dependant on a good battery which can supply a consistent amount of juice.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Hey it was the battery at the end of the day! Glad it was sorted!:)

Could have tried your luck and asked for the 760 CCA police battery. :p