Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel issue on steep decline driveway?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by snortings, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Glad to hear the repair costs have been sorted out in your favour.

I’d expect you shouldn’t have any more issues as I’d think everything that could have caused the problems should have been fixed or checked via the strip down and repair process.

If you still have starting issues post repair, there will be some embarrassment going around with may be a little egg on some faces. But for now consider it a good outcome and enjoy driving away in the mornings without concern for fuel tank levels, which way you park and such things.

snortings likes this.
  2. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Yup! No longer need to worry if my car will have trouble starting the next morning :D

3. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Thought I'd let you know, everything seems well so far! There were a few tiny rattles on the flat that happened twice, but maybe it's just getting worn in or something. Hasn't done it since and has started perfectly each time on the driveway with no cranking or rattles :D

Very happy. Once again, thank you.

Skylarking likes this.
  4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ Glad it’s all been up hill after the warranty fix ;)

As for the tiny rattles on the flat, may be those tiny rattles are the engine pinging due to bad fuel or worn spark plugs. Could be worth putting a tank of the good go juice in it and/or checking your spark plugs. If the spark plugs are the type that can be re-gapped do so otherwise replace them with factory equivalent. If it’s pinging of course, otherwise monitor the noise and if it continues discuss it with the dealer.

5. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Funny you speak of Spark plugs, they've had to delay the 120,00kms service due to this issue which includes changing all of the spark plugs. They didn't want to do the service until the car was fixed, apparently the service can be drawn out to 12 months and provided in writing (which they have) as to why the service was not done in the 9 months timeframe.

Though seeing as though everything has gone well, I booked in the service a few days later which is 2 weeks away so they'll all get changed then. Now that I think about it, I did fill up after I heard the rattle and it hasn't been back since. I'd say the fuel was eventually starting to go bad considering it was sitting at the dealership for quite some time waiting on Holden Customer Care regarding if they'd cover the full cost or not.

6. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Spoke too soon @Skylarking, the rattle is back :( Time to record and back to Holden... it sucks that it was good for about a week but now it's returned. It's the same sound they heard and diagnosed as the chain slipping, so I wonder if they put the computer back on it and record the chains to see if it is slipping again.

7. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I doubt that sound was anything to do with the timing chains in the first place after watching your video. Who pays for the change of timing chains? The dealer or Holden?

8. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    I believe it would be Holden themselves. We got told from the dealer that 'Holden will be covering all costs'.

But they believe it was the timing chains as they'd come around to my house, plug a logging thing into it, start the car and it'll rattle, then they'd send it off to Holden technicians. They saw that the timing chain on drivers side was slipping and they had to confirm it when they pulled the front case off before they could make a case for payment to Holden. Holden came back happy with the diagnosis and said they'd cover it.

When I get home in a few hours I will take a photo of the paper I got back from the dealership with what they did :)

9. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I wonder if they looked at crank angle sesnor and cam sensor

10. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    I remember them saying on the phone something about the cam sensor when they 'found' the problem. I got shown the software that was plugged into my car and it could see everything and he showed me the cam sensor & actuator etc

11. SS Flo Rida

SS Flo Rida Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    My vf2 ss does it as well when the fuel light is on. Ive checked fuel pressure etc and no dramas anywhere so I put it down as a fuel tank design issue. They are an odd shaped tank and I suspect susceptible to air lock when the fuel cools down when it sits for awhile on a slope but dont quote me on it its just a hunch

12. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    So today it did the winding over, so both issues are now back.

Technicians are back involved and want to re visit old ground to ensure they haven’t missed anything relating to oil pressure. So I’m getting the gauge put back on Monday. Keep everyone updated...

13. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Been a while since I posted anything in here. The oil gauge has been on for about 2 or so weeks and got a few videos to send off to the technicians.

They now want the dealership to take off the oil sump and replace some o-ring and check the suction tubes for the oil. They're going to check for any metal in the oil, and if it is well not sure what happens then. Technicians think that air is seeping into somewhere which is doing something bla bla it's just another circle again.

Dealership said they'd (Holden) most likely cover the costs again, but don't know how many times they'd do that. I drop the car off on Monday and get it back on Wednesday.

Keep you all updated with what the outcome is.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    wetwork65 and Lex like this.
  14. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    So they pulled the sump off and checked the o-ring and the suction tube but they were both fine, no metal in the sump either. They cut open the oil filter to have a look inside and there was a tiny bit of metal in it and some silicon, but they said the silicon is probably some leftovers from the timing chain replacement.

They rang the technicians from Melbourne again and asked what they want to do next (turns out they worked on the queen's birthday). Technicians have said to replace the oil pump, which involves pulling the whole front off again... dealership said they're pretty certain it'll be at Holden's cost again. I'm not too sure why they want to replace the oil pump but one of them said if there isn't oil pressure then the car wont start.

It'll be interesting to see how many parts they can replace until they're out of ideas :p

15. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    LFX for LSA surely