Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Issue

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Well i fixed the AFS problem that plauged me late last year and the beast had been running fine. Not so any longer, it refuses again to start. This time its not the AFS because i have checked it in another car.

I have noticed the familiar loud whirr of the fuel pump when the key is switched on has dissapeared, as has the usual noise of the return fuel being dumped in the swirl pot. I pulled the internal pump out and it works fine, but on returning it to the tank and testing it it gave only the slightest dribble of fuel.

Did the old Idiot checks and seems theres plenty of fuel, the fuses are all fine etc etc. My big question now is could the impellers be dead or somthing in this pump? Also im not familiar with the pump like apparatus outside the tank, where the fuel feed is sent into. Is this even a pump, and if so could it be part of my problem?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
The pump like apparatus is actually just that It's your external pump, VL's have a low pressure in-tank pump and a high pressure external pump. Give the tank a tap whilst trying to start it or with the key in the ON position, or you can just bridge the fuel pump relay terminals (which is easier) Sometime's the pump will cut in and out, also indicating that its stuffed. Even the smallest grain of dirt can jam the impeller and VL's often have pump problems.

My guess is that your internal pump is the problem, as these are usually the first to go- they tend to pick up all the crap from the bottom of the tank. You can check your external pump quite easily- just remove it and connect two long wires to the terminals on the pump, then back to the corresponding battery terminals. If the pump whirs then you’re in business. You shouldn't run the external pump for more than a few seconds without any liquid in it as they heat up VERY quickly. If you want to run it longer for whatever reason run a little water through it.

Doesn’t really sound like the regulator, when the thing wont start at all, usually they stall/splutter or run really rich when the reg. is gone.

That’s about all I can offer, only just woke up.

Good luck with it bud

Jake.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Thanks a million for that. I just pulled the high pressure pump off and it is dead stick, so i'll head off to the wreckers and get one thats not so lifeless.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Easy As . Make sure you check the wreckers one before walking away with it

My guess was the internal so I was a little off, they do usually die first

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey, my appologies, sorry about the delay in the reply, ok, i had a problem with my vl that sounds very similar. now, the fuel pump just didnt pump any fuel at all, i had a slight drible, the problem i encountered was nothing to do with the fuel pumps or relay's or circuit. it was far more sinister than that. when the vl computer dies it tends to take th fuel pump out first, (think about it, what's alway's running when the car is working?) just out of curiosity i replaced the computer with a mates computer out of his car, and my fuel pump worked fine, the car did start, it was as rough as gut's but it started, i then put mine back in and no go.

i replace the computer, and 2 or 3 months' later i had the same problem again, it was the external pump had died, in a huge way, i replaced both pumps and all was well, then i converted the bloody thing. good luck trying to get a decent pump from the wrecker's, personaly, i would ring up nissan and see if you can get a fuel pump, the rb30 motor was inuse upto the 1992 nissan skyline and maxima, so they will have some pumps somewhere to fit the rb30, aslong as the pump bring's the fuel upto the required psi, any pump will do

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE the rb30 motor was inuse upto the 1992 nissan skyline and maxima

The RB30 can be found in NQ Patrols/Ford Mavericks in carburettored form, R31 Aussie Skylines from 1986-1990, the VL Commodore both turbo and naturally aspirated. Contary to popular belief Nissan Japan did use the RB30 to some extent, they used it in twin cam form (RB30DE) in the HR31 Tommy Kiara M30, HR31 Hartage and HR32 Tommy Kiara M30.

You'll find Maxima's used VG30's.

Find all the spec's on the RB engine family below

http://www.rbforums.com/specs/engines.htm

My handy work, I had and still have an RB addiction

Jake.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
good work oslo60, i knew the rb30 was used a fair bit, but to be totaly honest with ya, i didnt realise it was used so much. thanks for that valuble info

cheers
garth

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I like to share and worship RB's

If only the exchange rate didnt slump, we 'might' have seen RB30DE and RB30DET VN's Imagine a VP SS with the RB26DETT option

Jake

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Garth, were there any other symptoms to the dead computer? Would pay to know what im looking for should I have any other problems. At any rate, this engine and ECU only have to last another 12 months before the old RB20E is pulled out in favour of an RB30ESC. Can't wait for that one.

On another note, OSL i just realised you still could be right about the internal pump. With the lines off, it will only give a slight dribble of fuel when the ignition is switched to 'on' so makes me think, could the lack of fuel feed to the external pump be whats caused it to seize? How much juice should the internal pump squirt anyway? I'd be pretty pissed if i got the new pump tomorrow only to have it die as well! Cheers for your help so far guys.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
If your thinking of supercharging an RB30, you should really replace the internal pump with a new item (not cheap but) and get something like a 044 Bosch external pump. Then you can just add a Malpassi Rising rate reg. down the track. With any forced induction you need a good fuel system. You could either do it with wreckers items or do it once- do it right and not have to think about the system until it run's 10's and needs a surge tank/fuel cell

Your right with saying that the lack of fuel fed to the external pump could contribute to it's demise. I've never personally had the internal pump out so I cant tell how much it should flow.

I very much doubt it's a shagged ECU but as Garth said it could happen. If you've got a mate with a VL or R31 just plug his ECU into yours and see if there's a difference.

Jake.