Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel leak on my 125

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah 250's are a real handful, especially in the wet. Way too easy to get hurt... But they're light and really fun to ride, they take much more skill to ride than the newer 4 strokes too but they're easy and cheap to rebuild.

I ride a husky WR250 at the moment, can be a bit scary at times. Always puts a smile on my face though!

I rebuild the top end on mine every 12-18 months on average which sets me back $150 for a piston kit and $60 for gaskets. Fully rebuilt it when I got it though, just another $50 worth of bearings and seals from bearing wholesalers. It's amazing how much genuine bearings and seals are priced, especially considering they're exactly the same as what you get at a bearing shop.

They're so much more satisfying to play with than cars I reckon. So much cheaper too, just makes me spend more lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ducar Shineray 140cc Barrel | eBay

That's probably the cylinder you need. I had a quick look and lifan and ducar have different gudgeon sizes. It would probably be best to pull yours apart and check the pin size first though and then order the piston kit

I'm pretty sure I have a lifan bottom end here somewhere if you want it. I don't have anything to put it in so it's no use to me

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
That would be awesome man. Let me know if you ever dig it out and I'll buy it off if you want. That way I've got a spare if/when I blow a motor up lol. Cheers for the info too, I know f all about bikes but you're getting me interested! Keen to muck around with this one now haha.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
The little beast ain't idling too well. i found a screw on the carby, don't know if it's an idle screw or not but playing around with it didn't do anything. I tried adjusting the throttle cable but at max adjustment it isn't quite enough to keep it running. choke does f all aswell. i can live with having to keep the throttle on a bit all the time but would rather fix it.

anyone got any ideas? i might just modify the throttle cable by spacing it out a bit or something unless there's a better way. carby is nice and clean too.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
There should be a couple mm of slack in the throttle cable. The screw on the side of the carb pushes against the slide in the carby and raises it when you screw it in which makes it idle faster. This one has a knurled end so you can adjust it by hand.

There will be another smaller screw (conventional, flat blade type) either on the bottom or the side of the carb. This one is for the idle mixture adjustment. Screw this one in to lean out the idle, screw it out to make it richer. Too much either way will make it idle like crap and hesitate just off idle to approx 1/4 throttle. If it runs best with it screwed in all the way, you need a smaller idle jet. If it runs best with it screwed all the way out, you need a bigger idle/pilot jet.

If it doesn't idle still after screwing in the idle screw and/or adjusting the mixture, then you probably have a blocked pilot jet. Similarly, if it pops, backfires and sounds like it's struggling from 1/4 throttle and up, the main jet will be the wrong size.

These bikes are kind of thrown together a lot of the time and the people making them just source generic parts and don't make small changes such as jetting to suit their needs. I've had to put bigger jets in a number of these bikes for mates for this reason lol. A good set of jet drills is a great investment too if you don't want to spend money on buying a whole heap of jets to try too.

cracker

Reaction score
lifan motor, pitbike iv just been give one.

the idle mixture screw is between the head and the carby you basically have to remove the carb to adjust the fuel mixture.

the fast idle screw is on the clutch side of the bike.
if its leaking fuel still and has loads of idle running problems im gussing your carby has dirt and **** in it.
remove the carby and blow it out with compressed air and or petrol... like really really clean it out, tiny amount of **** will make it not run.

far as jetting a bike like this... i wouldnt bother or modding it at all... i wouldnt bother, your wasting money and time.
if your keen and you do sound keen, buy yourself a yz250f, cheap and have alot more power then the old chinese 125 ever will.
parts are easy to come by and are pretty cheap these days, iv been playing with my mates old 04 yz250f lately and with a few jetting changes its flying.
does 2nd gear power wheelies out of corners! not bad for a 04 250 4 stroke.

2 strokes are bloody hard to ride well or fast or let alone well and fast.

sounds like the mixture screw(in front of the bowl between the carby and motor) needs adjusting or youv got **** in the pilot circuit.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
There should be a couple mm of slack in the throttle cable. The screw on the side of the carb pushes against the slide in the carby and raises it when you screw it in which makes it idle faster. This one has a knurled end so you can adjust it by hand.

There will be another smaller screw (conventional, flat blade type) either on the bottom or the side of the carb. This one is for the idle mixture adjustment. Screw this one in to lean out the idle, screw it out to make it richer. Too much either way will make it idle like crap and hesitate just off idle to approx 1/4 throttle. If it runs best with it screwed in all the way, you need a smaller idle jet. If it runs best with it screwed all the way out, you need a bigger idle/pilot jet.

If it doesn't idle still after screwing in the idle screw and/or adjusting the mixture, then you probably have a blocked pilot jet. Similarly, if it pops, backfires and sounds like it's struggling from 1/4 throttle and up, the main jet will be the wrong size.

These bikes are kind of thrown together a lot of the time and the people making them just source generic parts and don't make small changes such as jetting to suit their needs. I've had to put bigger jets in a number of these bikes for mates for this reason lol. A good set of jet drills is a great investment too if you don't want to spend money on buying a whole heap of jets to try too.

Thanks again eyy i'll have a play with it tomorrow. i think my mate said he put a bigger carb on it or it had one on when he bought it so the odds of getting it good are probably against me haha. and yeah it does hesitate for a bit. but it doesn't do it all the time. more so when it's cold. when it's warm it only does it once in a while.

lifan motor, pitbike iv just been give one.

the idle mixture screw is between the head and the carby you basically have to remove the carb to adjust the fuel mixture.

the fast idle screw is on the clutch side of the bike.
if its leaking fuel still and has loads of idle running problems im gussing your carby has dirt and **** in it.
remove the carby and blow it out with compressed air and or petrol... like really really clean it out, tiny amount of **** will make it not run.

far as jetting a bike like this... i wouldnt bother or modding it at all... i wouldnt bother, your wasting money and time.
if your keen and you do sound keen, buy yourself a yz250f, cheap and have alot more power then the old chinese 125 ever will.
parts are easy to come by and are pretty cheap these days, iv been playing with my mates old 04 yz250f lately and with a few jetting changes its flying.
does 2nd gear power wheelies out of corners! not bad for a 04 250 4 stroke.

2 strokes are bloody hard to ride well or fast or let alone well and fast.

sounds like the mixture screw(in front of the bowl between the carby and motor) needs adjusting or youv got **** in the pilot circuit.

Yeah thanks for the advice man. I don't think i'll be putting any money into this thing. i will down the track get a real bike because i want one i can get rec reg on. this thing is just more of a paddock basher. I did see a lifan 150cc motor with a 5 speed that apparently fits in thumpsters but i don't know if spending 480 bucks on a lifan motor is a good idea haha. might only last 3 months. was tempting but whats the point when i cant really take it anywhere.

I fixed the fuel leak it was the float. i will have another look though to check none of the jets are blocked. i know the air filter came off a few times times when my mate had it do it's possible.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
If your looking for a fun bike that also serves as a run around ttr is the go! Air cooled, low clearances (less valve issues, rebuilds, blah blah blah) and indestructible! My mates and I went for a ride at clarkeys paradise and his '13 wr450 kept overheating in the slow stuff but my ttr just kept on going! It's definitely not a race bike nor a decent enduro weapon, but with some work it could be! The place I took that bike on semi tyres surprised me! Got it up to 110km an hour and it still had plenty of leg left, I ran out of room before I could test too speed but the six speed box has a gear for every situation.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll have to check them out Michael.

These yz's are pretty decently priced. Looking at some of the 450's that are a few years old. People are saying they go hard but they're the guys selling them. What do you guys reckon? Are they fast enough and pretty reliable?